Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering! (Page 2)
Author Topic: Movie-phile Ecstasy - Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering!
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maia - The music was brilliant, can't deny it and don't want to. []
For me, years after the LotR movies, the one thing that stays with me is the music. I still listen to it often, having the trilogy on iTunes running through excellent converters into excellent speakers.

Numenorean Sword Trainer You have no business in this thread. Bugger off.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some screenshots from the movie.

-
 -

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rivendell was breathtaking.
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the Hobbit last night and while I'll no doubt be soon making a much larger post in the rage thread, in the spirit of fairness there were certainly some good things in the movie that deserve mention..

Martin Freeman as Bilbo was outstanding.

Gollum was tremendous as well (as expected), Andy and Martin had easily the 2 best performances in the film to me. Especially the riddle game, a very enjoyable sequence.

Elrond was much improved from the LotR version. How he handled Thorin's contempt was the way an Elf lord should act, the LotR Elrond would've gotten into a pissing match with Thorin in the same scenario.

I really like Bofur (I think?), the dwarf with the winged hat. No real reason, he was just plain likable. Balin too.

New Zealand is still gorgeous. One can argue whether it looks like Middle Earth (tho it's certainly good enough for me), but the raw beauty is beyond any point of contention.

I like the dwarf song too, dark and haunting and really cool.

The 'golf' comment in Bag-end was well handled, figured they'd just ignore it but was glad they didn't.

There was some other things that didn't suck no doubt, but this is it for now. []

[ 12-30-2012, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] that picture of Rivendell, Tuor.
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
We saw it for the third time last night (in German, because we went with Miriel's parents, and the German cinema was the only one showing it @48fps). I enjoy it more every time I see it. The cinema was packed, btw, and it wasn't a small room, either. I am glad that it is doing well, despite the negative press. Seems to have taken the box office for the 3rd straight weekend. We are really looking forward to the next installments. The movie is dazzling, marvelous, but hardly perfect or flawless. Oh, it is staggering, too.

[ 12-31-2012, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Maia Olorin ]

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, what Madomir said.

Additionally, most of the music was really good, especially the dwarf song and the new, (presumably) dwarven motif that appeared here and there.
The German version was pretty good, with a few mis-translations here and there - e.g. "Out of the frying pan into the fire" should be translated as "Vom Regen in die Traufe" ("Out of the rain into the drain"), and not literally as they did. Otherwise, the language lends itself well to the subject, and the dubbing was much better than in most other productions, as far as I remember.
The Elf cavalry (in Rivendell) was pretty cool - I'm glad they had Elvish horse archers (straight from the Silmarillion), I've been preaching about that for years.

If they had left out the crap parts, it would be a really neat normal-length movie.

Also, it's a moose of sorts. Maybe inspired by the (now extinct) Irish Elk.

[ 01-01-2013, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Have you people ever seen a stag? It's a stag! Not any form of moose! []

I've seen a fair amount about films getting too long lately. I don't see why it's an issue. I won't see a film if it looks bad, I will if it looks good. Length is nothing to do with it and certainly isn't a problem. I often find myself disappointed that a film isn't longer, especially when they've not expanded on things that could have done with it for the sake of a shorter running time.

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have you people ever seen a stag? It's a stag! Not any form of moose!
There is nothing "mooselike" about the body of the beast, but there was a mooselike webbing to the antlers not generally seen in stags.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record, I believe that everyone here has seen those animals, probably even in the wild. The CGI animal didn't look like any "stag" (non-moose ones, that is. Moose are deer as well) I've ever seen, either - far too bulky. Like I said, probably inspired by Irish Elk.

More on topic, I liked the PJ dwarves a little bit more than I expected. Especially Balin, Dwalin, and Bofur.

Oh and I liked Smaug.

[ 01-02-2013, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I will study it hard when I see it again, which I will be doing at some point in the near future. Then I will make an announcement and will hear no argument on the matter. []
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
My sister was bitten by a møøse.

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink".

[]

[ 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Maia Olorin ]

Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For all you Sherlock and The Hobbit Fans : link
I do love Tumblr people. []

From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And Thorin Oakenshield in all his war get-up glory. []
link []

From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Did anyone else think that Thorin only appeared to have his bit of oak twice in the whole film? In the flashback and the scene when he dropped it. I'm going to look extra hard for it when I see it again, to see if it's really only there twice or whether I'm going mad(der).
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

He prob'ly shouldn't have had the oak branch at all, it made no sense. He used an oak branch as a shield in a battle once because he had nothing else, but he didn't then adopt a wooden stick as part of his armament, that would be ridiculous. The nickname Oakenshield stuck with him, but I'm pretty sure he left the branch on the ground.. or at best perhaps it got a special place on the mantlepiece. []
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I have no problem with him keeping it. I'd keep it. But I'm well known for being a hoarder. [] Besides, it makes sense that if the name stuck with him, so did the branch. To me anyway.
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps he made//had made for him a strengthened oak shield for future use, as it had served him well? I only remember him using the branch at the beginning. But then I did view much of the film through a red haze.
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

That would make sense SSA. IIRC it did appear to have metal attachments the second time it appeared. I just went looking for images and couldn't find any, but I dare say they'll appear in time.
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

quote:
Besides, it makes sense that if the name stuck with him, so did the branch.
If that's the custom then why not give your enemies nicknames like "Noodle Sword" or "Cracker Helm", then they'd be honor bound to use ludicrous armor thus ensuring their defeat. []

The branch was laying next to him after getting knocked out/killed(?) by Azog in the tree scene. It even still had the bark on it, and looked very much like the original stick from the flashback scene. The first time he used a log as a shield was many years before Azog did or didn't kill him amongst the burning trees, carrying the same log (complete with original bark) would be ridiculously unrealistic and carrying a different log would be equally meaningless. But PJ has a way of doing that, he tosses a tidbit from Tolkien into the movie, even if it's out of context, then later uses it's inclusion to claim he's staying true to the books.

[ 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Did the moose talk to a squirrel? []
"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a Rhosgobel Rabbit outta my hat!" []

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Such nicknames are customarily bestowed by one's own side, Madomir, which makes your suggestion even sillier than it already was. There were no noodles in Middle Earth, nor crackers, unless you count cram.

It's = it is. Its = belonging to it. Branches cannot lay anything; only birds lay - eggs. Back to school, honey-chile []

I once read that PJ only claims to stay true to the spirit of the books; and that the films are his interpretation of them. Which is perfectly reasonable. My LOTR/Hobbit is not PJ's, nor WGW's, nor yours. We all bring ourselves and our experiences to any work of fiction, which is why there are as many "Hobbits" as there are readers/viewers. Lit. Crit. 101.

NST - you are an idiot. Go away.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

quote:
If that's the custom then why not give your enemies nicknames like "Noodle Sword" or "Cracker Helm", then they'd be honor bound to use ludicrous armor thus ensuring their defeat. []
The name would come from the armour/weapon in question, so if they were using anything that ridiculous then they prooobably wouldn't be around long enough to earn any nickname...

Yes, his oakenshield was there and of course it still had bark. Good stuff bark, it protects trees well enough when they're alive so I assume would work very well to protect the wood afterwards. Plus, looks good. When he dropped it, it had (IIRC) been upgraded and now had Dwarvish metal attachments. I do NOT think it ridiculous in any way that he would have kept and had adapted a fine piece of wood which had saved his life. If you insist on turning my original question into PJ-bashing you'd better take it to Purist Rage.

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

Hmmm.. Well I'm not sure that a 140 year old broken branch (complete with original bark) lying ( [] ) next to a dwarf that should be alive, but is now lying dead (or not) at the hand of a one armed orc, who should be dead but isn't, is true to the spirit of the book either. []

edit:
quote:
I do NOT think it ridiculous in any way that he would have kept and had adapted a fine piece of wood which had saved his life.
Using the branch to construct a shield made of oak would make some sense, but carrying around a branch for 140 years really doesn't. That's not PJ bashing, it's just being reasonable.

[ 01-05-2013, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

In your opinion []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering! (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help