Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Reviews (Page 6)
Author Topic: Reviews
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so much the landscapes themselves, it's the indifference to the author's intent, as well as the plain logic that New Zealand just doesn't look worth fighting over.
[] NO TROLLING! []

[ 01-27-2013, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to know that we have the Tolkien-Taliban to tell us the true intent of the Master. []
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could try reading.

[ 01-28-2013, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the books more often than you have, sonny. As for 'plain logic,' you need to take a course in logic before you incorporate such a concept in your diatribes.
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
New Zealand just doesn't look worth fighting over
Tell it to the All Blacks!

[] [] [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not really a review - see it as a commentary []

How it should have ended
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrKXH1CeXck

Would have caused a few changes to the sequel ... []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here's a description of Rohan:
quote:

Gandalf spoke now to Shadowfax, and the horse set off at a good pace, yet not beyond the measure of the others. After a little while he turned suddenly, and choosing a place where the banks were lower, he waded the river, and then led them away due south into a flat land, treeless and wide. The wind went like grey waves through the endless miles of grass. There was no sign of road or track, but Shadowfax did not stay or falter.
‘He is steering a straight course now for the halls of Théoden under the slopes of the White Mountains,’ said Gandalf. ‘It will be quicker so. The ground is firmer in the Eastemnet, where the chief northward track lies, across the river, but Shadowfax knows the way through every fen and hollow.’
For many hours they rode on through the meads and riverlands. Often the grass was so high that it reached above the knees of the riders, and their steeds seemed to be swimming in a grey-green sea. They came upon many hidden pools, and broad acres of sedge waving above wet and treacherous bogs; but Shadowfax found the way, and the other horses followed in his swath.

Now, does that conjure up the following image to you?

-

A poor film-maker will say "it doesn't matter, the audience doesn't know anyway," but that's what separates mediocrity from excellence IMHO, i.e. attention to detail and the author's vision.

I have to say wiki has a point here. This always has been my problem with PJ's depiction of Rohan.

[ 02-17-2013, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel the Ranger
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4576

posted      Profile for Estel the Ranger   Author's Homepage   Email Estel the Ranger   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, here goes,
The movie was deffinitly not (to me) somthing that JRRT would have been happy about. it messed with **** i wasnt meant to and shouldnt have messed with. i was pretty upset at the entire Azog business and also the great goblin having a scrot for a chin...i was also expecting somthing more along the lines of the old illistration but thats just me anyways. my wife is new to all things middle earth and she couldnt understand my flashes of rage because PJ was ruining my precious for me. BUT she reminded me that as being somebody who had never read the books that she found the movie exciting and humourous at times which settled me down a little. i watched it about 10 times that week...i know... and told her all the places PJ crapped on the good professors story. she still didnt mind. i guess what im trying to say in MY OWN review is that even if PJ messed up the right way to tell the story he has made a bunch of people interested in the fantastic story of the hobbit. and making somthing for hollywood usually goes against most pureists but gives the remains to the masses. in the end the movie entertains me and i enjoy the characters and its also made my wife want to read a book she would have otherwise not even noticed (being out of her prefered genre). And on the plus side i always enjoy watching parts of middle earth come to life.

theres my 5c

(also sorry about the spelling)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
when i try to be somthing i am nothing. when i am true, im exactly who i wanna be...

From: jasper TX via melbourne VIC Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Círdan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 812
posted      Profile for Círdan   Author's Homepage   Email Círdan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't known it was going to be stretched over several films—which means I was in it for the dragon.

But no dragon! Since that wasn't going to happen, I sat through it just to see what was going to get attended to, but what I would never have guessed would be there was kind of my favorite part. The part I mean was that half hour psychedelic thought experiment about Radagast the Brown.

While it's not in the book, is patently absurd, and features one of PJ's visually uninspiring "chase around an open field" sequences, the treatment of Radagast is used really well. At one (that is, singular) point in the narrative structure, you get one of the film's only sites of imaginative free-play and you get exposition of the historical-political gravitas going on around Bilbo, dwarves, & Co. Though the Radagast episode doesn't neutralize the goofy and artificial drama snuck in with Thorin and PJ's favorite character—a bigger-than-normal Orc— it does contextualize it, and made it easier for me to forgive.

Am I silly for thinking that the first Hobbit film is basically just a vehicle for that one sequence?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
In Autumn most of all do they come out, for Autumn is their season, fallen as they are upon the Autumn of their days. What shall the dreamers of the earth be like when their winter comes?

From: Atlanta | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The embargo on reviews of The Desolation of Smaug was supposed to have been in place for another few days, as I understand it, but has been lifted suddenly today.

Here are some (mainly) good reviews:

The Guardian

Variety

Empire Online

Time Out

The Hollywood Reporter

ComingSoon

The Wrap

IGN

Hitfix

Total Film

Bad and lukewarm reviews:

Screen Crush

IndieWire

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this one wil be a bit more entertaining.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
We're going to a matinee on Friday. We'll probably see it at least one more time after that in 24fps when Miriel's friends from Ireland come over the holidays, and then see it in German at 48 fps with the in-laws.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If what I am hearing about the movie is anywhere near true, it looks like the book bears little resemblance to the film!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
If what I am hearing about the movie is anywhere near true, it looks like the book bears little resemblance to the film!
Agreed. It is more a loose adaptation.
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It’s going to be like all of PJ’s LotR “adaptations”? A totally different story than the books that happens to have some of the character names and types as the books. His movies more closely resemble plagiarism than adaptations.
[/rant] []

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
His movies more closely resemble plagiarism than adaptations.

.. which I use the term very very loosely. I was giving PJ the benefit of the doubt. But yeah, I tend to agree with you.
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A totally different story than the books that happens to have some of the character names and types as the books. His movies more closely resemble plagiarism than adaptations.
Little unfair. I don't think PJ ever passed off someone elses work as his own. Besides, Tolkien stole most of his works from Norse mythology so JRRT fans shouldn't really comment on plagiarism. [] []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
Little unfair. I don't think PJ ever passed off someone elses work as his own. Besides, Tolkien stole most of his works from Norse mythology so JRRT fans shouldn't really comment on plagiarism. []

... which I use the term very very loosely. I forgot thwere ARE anti-Tolkien/pro-pj fans here in the White City. []
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
To paraphrase Dumbya: 'Yer either with us or the PJ'ers.'
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not anti or pro anyone, I speak in the name of fairness and revel in all things fantasy. []

E: Back on topic... One review I saw said that Stephen Fry was very Melchett. Couldn't see it myself. []

[ 12-13-2013, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Reviews by Elentari, Citizen #18 of Minas Tirith:

An Unexpected Journey
Desolation of Smaug

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good reviews. Just a small point about the first one (AUJ):
quote:
one minute the company are in bare, grassy uplands, the next, we've fallen down an abrupt secret rabbit hole into the ethereal wooded valley of Rivendell.
As you may recall, the thing about Rivendell (particularly in The Hobbit) was that it was difficult to find when approaching from the west. So the abrupt change makes sense (IOW, it's one of the more lore-accurate aspects of the movie). In general, I found the terrain and landscapes more fitting in the Hobbit movies than in the LotR movies, although not perfect. I believe the reasons have been discussed to some extent on this thread.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
I found the terrain and landscapes more fitting in the Hobbit movies than in the LotR movies, although not perfect.
It maybe was PJ's nod to the purists before angrily taking a bite off his carrot?
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Reviews (Page 6)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help