Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Reviews (Page 3)
Author Topic: Reviews
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I thought the humor was done much better here than it was in LOTR, particularly with Gimli in the second and third films. It didn't seem out of place to me, since The Hobbit is a lighter affair overall than LOTR (even with the additions Jackson has made to better tie it into LOTR).
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, "understatement" is indeed my middle name.
 -
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like reading different reviews - I've been wavering on seeing the movie, so I'm telling myself I'm gathering data [] I didn't like the LotR movies as adaptations of the books I love, but at least one I enjoyed on a straight movie level. And there's something to be said for seeing a movie in the theater: I saw the re-releases of the Star Wars trilogy just to see them on the big screen, and I don't even like Star Wars []

Keep the reviews and opinions coming, I say.

From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Eomer:
quote:
I agree, I thought the humor was done much better here than it was in LOTR
Probably because the Hobbit actually had Dwarves acting silly.
However the Elves were even more uptight than in the LotR films, when in the books they're always laughing except when there's a fight. Where's the "tra-la-la" in Rivendell with the Elves sitting in the trees and making fun of the Dwarves and their beards? Too much drama.

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it today.

I wish I hadn't.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My group of local friends does a meet-up-with-cinema every year for our Christmas bash. This year two of them have been beside themselves wanting to see The Hobbit.

I saw the trailer for the first time last night. Oh dear. [] []

I shall be at home making the guacamole instead. []

[ 12-20-2012, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Do I go see it or not [] . I'm sure I'll like the costumes and scenery as I did with lotr films [] and then I'll be reminded that a short fat man thought he had improved that story [] . And then I'll be thinking if said short fat guy managed to squeeze lotr into 3 films lasting around 10 hours how the feck does he justify making TH into 3 films probably lasting around 10 hours also when TH is only a quarter of the size of lotr [] .
Surely short fat guy and the film company wouldn't dream of fleecing Jo Public of as much cash as possible at the cimema would they?
Oh no, I'm sure it must be short fat guy improving upon the good professor's work once again []

[ 12-20-2012, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For those who grew up in the 80's, do you remember watching The Goonies or Temple of Doom as a kid? Remember how cool and exciting those movies were? I remember watching those movies as a kid and being terrified by the scary ghouls and gross special fx that they didn't shy away from. They were fun, silly, gross and damn edgy in comparison to kids fare for modern audiences. In our politically correct contemporary tastes, adventure has lost its teeth. I read a lot of these reviews talking about a mixed tone to the movie, how it is directed at a younger audience but still features elements that are deemed "too adult" by popular opinion. I disagree. I thought it was a completely appropriate approach to the Hobbit, violence and all. So they cut off a couple of heads? So what? Raiders of the Lost Ark had people's heads exploding and faces melting off. They said "penis breath" in E.T. Seriously, grow up. Go back and look at the early Disney animations, often times on the surface the goings-on seem innocent but in subtext a lot of it is about sex. Sometimes it becomes more blatantly so. Did anyone read Peter and Wendy as a child? Have you read it as an adult? That's a hardcore children's story. Peter relishes in murdering pirates, the lost boys are described as mopping up blood after a battle, fairies trip over Peter coming orgies, Peter practically kidnaps the children from their beds and he murders the lost boys when they get too old. Yeah, it says when they get too old he "thins them out." This goes all the way back to the Brothers Grimm stories, those get pretty hardcore. The thing is, kids aren't dumb. As a kid I was insulted to be treated like I didn't know anything. I'm not saying kids should be exposed to traumatizing images of sex and violence, but I am saying kids shouldn't be treated like idiots. Storytelling is a powerful tool of education. If there are not stakes then what do you have?

That being said, I enjoyed the Hobbit in watching it through the same lenses that I watched The Goonies or Temple of Doom with as a kid. It was a fun ride and a pleasant return to the cinematic Middle-Earth. I felt the ending was the weakest of the Middle-Earth movies so far and it suffered from the last minute cuts from a two-movie event to three. I did not care for the portrayal of the stone giants sequence. While not being a fan of CGI over practical effects, it did lend to the movie being more visually uniform than the previous three and I felt was appropriate for the lighter tone of the story. The battle of Goblin Town was a treat even if the amount of tumbling/sliding/rolling through caves got a bit excessive. The fact that the Goblin King reminded me of my old fencing master was more than a little creepy...

[SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT]

Honestly, my biggest problem with the movie was how much it adhered to the structure of Fellowship of the Ring. I'll skip the intentional similarities from the books and skip to the structure of the movies, which takes us to just before the halfway point of the film when we get: our chase scene. In Fellowship there is a scene where Arwen tries to outrun the Ringwraiths on her flight to Rivendell. In An Unexpected Journey Radagast engages in a chase with the Wargs to draw them away from the dwarves who are on their way to Rivendell. Then there is a council sequence in Rivendell in both films followed by a montage into the misty mountains where they encounter a storm and go under the mountains. Both of the battles under the mountain end with the hero company on a bridge blocked by a large monster in which Gandalf must defeat. So far, seriously whatever, it was inevitably going to happen. It crossed the line in the finale though when Thorin descends the tree to fight the Lurtz replacement. The whole proceeding plays out identically to Boromir's departure and Aragorn/Bilbo jumping in to save him but it really falls flat. Did anyone in the audience honestly think Thorin was in any actual danger in this fight? Really? Come on...

Lastly, I'll just say I didn't care for how much they tried to tie it together with the LotR movies. It's just in the little things, like Gandalf using the moths to contact the eagles, having the orcs meet at Weathertop, the over-use of Gandalf's staff blaster attack ect. I appreciated some but it went a little far. I hope that it's mostly over the next two. And Elijah Wood didn't even look like he was trying in his cameo; there was a lot about that opening sequence that felt off.

Petty gripes aside, I enjoyed it. There was a lot of awesome fan service in this movie that I was happy to see. The Battle of Azanulbizar was effing sweet and to have a degree of sing-song involved in the story was a treat. The performances were a delight to watch and it achieved a sense of adventure that is all too often left of the mark in modern movies. Really, it could have been a lot worse. It is what it is and I was able to appreciate it for what it was.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Sonofabitch I'm sick of these dolphins." ~Steve Zissou

From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't notice the different frame rate, but maybe that was because I didn't see it in 3D. I hardly remember TH (I haven't read it in years) so I kind of enjoyed it, as a fantasy film.

Worst thing: Could have done without the whole Radagast performance.

Best thing: Was pleased to see they'd vastly improved dwarves.

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have to say it wasn't as bad as RotK. []
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't notice the different frame rate, but maybe that was because I didn't see it in 3D.
The 2D version of the film is only shown at the normal frame rate. (Though the 3D version can be watched in 2D through the appropriate glasses...)
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The 2D version of the film is only shown at the normal frame rate.
Excellent. Double lack of eye-ache. I chose well. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. The Hobbit’s terribleness was extremely surprising. I dislike the first three movies because they change the story so much. But let’s be honest: by Hollywood standards they are very good movies. The Hobbit is not. I can’t even be mad at Peter Jackson for all his changes to my favourite book, because I'm too busy feeling sorry for him. Just as an illustration, Eledhsule loves practically any movie she sees, but she has taken to calling it ‘The Floppit.’
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And I never thought I'd admit to fancying Thorin []

The movie one of course...

Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Poking my head in here for a moment. I suppose seeing “The Hobbit” made me bit nostalgic. [] I also wanted to share my review of “The Floppit”. I hated it. But let’s start with the compliments. Seeing it in 3D HRF was amazing, the quality was superb. The sets, the scenery and the wardrobe did an amazing job, the movie looked beautiful!

I hated Radagast insert the most, I think or the forced comical aspect of the dwarves was cringe worthy. The singing, no no and no, thank you. The obvious inserts to lengthen the movie were, well, obvious. He tried to make them nice in the Middle Earth Q&A style, “oh you’ve always wanted to know about Radagast the Brown - here you go!” but it didn’t work for me. Well enough of the negatives I suppose.

I was quite numb coming out of the theater, but the as the time passed I became more and more angry at PJ. Ugh. So not worth the price of the ticket in my humble opinion, I will not be seeing the following two in the theaters.

P.S: SSA – Yeah, hot dwarves, who knew!? I do fancy both of them though. []

From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Eled! How lovely to see you! Happy Christmas!

Yes, I'm sure you fancy both dwarves, indeed I sincerely hope you fancy one of them. Having never met yours, I can't really comment []

I liked the singing, because otherwise I hated the beginning! As I have said elsewhere, the film made my blood boil and I'm not the greatest fan of The Hobbit. I found myself feeling quite protective towards it, and shall have to be dragged to the next two.

Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Christmas to you too SSA. []
From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

quote:
Just as an illustration, Eledhsule loves practically any movie she sees, but she has taken to calling it ‘The Floppit.’
[] [] []

E: Good to see you two, Merry Christmas both!

[ 12-22-2012, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

[] DQ
Sentarius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 525
posted      Profile for Sentarius   Email Sentarius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Finally saw it, and I thought it was great. Quick points:

1. I liked the vision of Erebor int he prologue.
2. I thought it hit the key points of the plot pretty well.
3. I thought the added content worked really well, connecting the story to The Lord of the Rings.
4. I was glad it wasn't too heavy-handed but was whimsical as the Hobbit should be - in particular the escape from the goblins reminded me of Indiana Jones in that it was utterly ridiculous and implausible but was great fun.
5. Armitage was excellent as Thorin, which was my biggest worry.
6. 3D high frame rate blah blah was fine. I only noticed in one wide shot of Rivendell where I could see that the matte painting behind was a matte painting.
7. When it ended I thought, I would be happy to sit for the next 5 hours and see the rest!

From: USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting perspective (one that I've shared, btw) regarding why Jackson has been getting raked over the coals by the critics (hint: it isn't because the media critics know Tolkien's writings like Muslims know the Koran, and consider them just as holy [] ).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/dislike-peter-jacksons-em_b_2342591.html

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting review MO, at least in the sense the Mr Abramson is critical of others for not understanding Tolkien's world while simultaneously showing that he himself doesn't get it either. For example...

because The Lord of the Rings was and is an allegory,

Safe to say, JRRT would disagree []

And this gem might be my personal favorite...

Jackson's knowledge of Tolkien lore can be presumed to exceed that of any small-city film critic by a factor of twenty or more, and way he shot The Hobbit reveals it unambiguously.

That there my friends is a full blown, milk shootin' out my nose, knee slappin' LOL []

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, to an extent. Jackson does know the material well, probably, but has the hubris to believe he can 'improve' upon it. A part of that is his wife's doing (excuse me, 'partner'). Still, he knows a lot more about middle-earth than the media critics who are generally not well known for their credentials in literature. Or, they aren't geeks. Or both.
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Reviews (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help