Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Reviews (Page 2)
Author Topic: Reviews
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2012/12/12/the-hobbit-review-peter-jacksons-return-to-middle-earth-is-a-triumph/

I find I agree more with this review than with most of the negative ones, although I haven't seen the 48fps. I'll be (likely) seeing it one more time in English and one time in German, just so I can see the 48 fps version.

Numenorean Sword Trainer, I have no idea.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sentarius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 525
posted      Profile for Sentarius   Email Sentarius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was super excited for all of the LotR films, and indeed spent many a post here explaining how PJ was a genius and his deviations from the source material were completely reasonable. Then the third movie came out and it was utter garbage and I felt like a fool.

As a result I have not been following Hobbit news at all. At the moment I am debating if I should see it in the theater (maybe IMAX just to see what the 48 fps is like?) or not bother.

The Forbes review is interesting because it addresses the other more negative reviews specifically, but ultimately I am not very inclined to believe the "the media prejudged the film" narrative when it's only coming from one source.

From: USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think many in the media lay in wait to nail Jackson for turning a small children's book into 3 movies. The other thing is the 48fps. Seems some love it, some hate it.

I expect Jackson and whatever moneybags were behind him calculated that there was enough of a built in audience to be able to milk this for all its worth, and they're probably right.

As I said, I enjoyed the movie. I think some of the criticism is over the top, even if the main points are valid.

Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've noticed that when a movie is made, it tends to get much better reviews due to the hype, than after the novelty wears off and people look back and say "hey, that flick SUCKED!"

So if The Hobbit is getting negative reviews before it even came out.. well I have two words to say: "Phantom Menace."

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
It's no Phantom Menace. Go make up your own mind, do it on cheap Tuesday. Sitting there and crapping on something you have no experience with isn't really valid, imho.

The criticisms of it being bloated etc, are only partially valid, because there is stuff from the LotR appendices. I expect a lot of Tolkien fans, especially those who enjoyed the LotR movies, will appreciate the added depth. I found it to be a fun movie. I am sure that the 10 year old son of one of my wife's visiting friends will love it.

Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I'm talking about reviews. I did see it.

[ 12-15-2012, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
And you think it's as bad as Phantom Menace?

I'll reiterate my opinion: I think, in general, the media was laying in wait for Jackson. Another Tolkien triumph wouldn't be news. Picking apart The Hobbit for Jackson's and his moneybags' greed is a fresh angle, as are ripping it apart for being too long (with much of Tolkien's own back story) and the use of 48fps. Looking at Rotten Tomatoes, a significantly greater percentage of average movie-goers enjoyed the movie in comparison to the critics. I am one of those who enjoyed it. It's a movie. It's fun. I also expect the 2nd and 3rd installments will be more interesting. This one is just Prelude.

Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
No, Phantom Menace followed a trilogy that was actually good.
But it will eventually be panned the same way, despite mixed reviews.
As a Star Trek viewer, Thorin was just too much a dead-ringer for the Klingon ruler.

Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
P.S. Phantom Menace didn't mangle the original story as much, either. (I for one have no problem with "midichlorians," since it explains why some can use the Force and others can't, as well as how the Force operates by the power of living things.)

But The Hobbit mangled the story beyond recognition, much like the LotR movies did; it's as if they had zero knowledge of the context.

Edit: what I meant to include above"

-  -

[ 12-16-2012, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As a non-purist, I really enjoyed it. I understand why they felt the need to add in the extra material to help tie the story into LOTR's, and IMO the additions they did make didn't lead to a slow and bloated movie like I'd feared. I thought it was odd to have Azog still alive and carrying a vendetta against the line of Dúrin, but it made sense to me since without him the movie wouldn't have had any real antagonist. Though I don't know why they used Azog, who was supposed to have died at Dáin's hand in the battle depicted in the movie, rather than his son Bolg, who would have been a more natural choice (driven by vengeance and all that).

I thought Martin Freeman was fantastic as Bilbo, and he did a great job conveying Bilbo's emotional journey through the movie. Richard Armitage was also good as Thorin, who is more of a flawed and tragic hero here, though he still retains the stubbornness of his counterpart from the book. And Ian McKellen was excellent as Gandalf, of course, as was Andy Serkis as Gollum in probably the movie's best scene.

When I first heard of the decision to make The Hobbit a trilogy, I was initially reluctant. It sounded more like a blatant cash grab than anything else, and that's probably all it truly was, but after seeing An Unexpected Journey I'm no longer worried that there won't be enough material here for three movies. If they'd stuck to the two-movie plan and ended AUJ at its original point (after Bilbo and the Company escape the Elves), it probably would have been even longer and had much worse pacing in an attempt to get through everything.

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was very surprised by Martin Freeman's performance. It was remarkably understated. One of the best character portrayals in any of these Jackson Middle-earth films so far - though, in my opinion, that's not saying much in itself. I dislike most of the portrayals (even those which are almost universally praised such as Ian McKellen's Gandalf and Andy Serkis's Sméagol). In The Lord of the Rings, Ian Holm's Bilbo is one of the few portrayals which I do like, and now Martin Freeman's is at least on the same level.
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
quote:
No, Phantom Menace followed a trilogy that was actually good.
But it will eventually be panned the same way, despite mixed reviews.
As a Star Trek viewer, Thorin was just too much a dead-ringer for the Klingon ruler.

Oh, please. Star Wars a good trilogy? More often than not, terrible acting, dialogue, and, of course, Ewoks. I'll grant that 'Empire Strikes Back' had some good moments, but....

Can we have a 'Purist Rage' sticky thread, please? The mouth-foamers are aggregating... []

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, please. Star Wars a good trilogy?
I agree with you on this point and some others. Star Wars had its moments and the original trilogy was good from a purely filmmaking PoV (made for three entertaining movies. The "Empire Strikes Back" movie may even have artistic value to it), but in general it's crap. The creatures (like Ewoks...), the "philosophy" (specifically that of the Jedi), the weapons they use, and so on - really stupid.

Contrast Tolkien's books, which in this case is an excellent children's book plus a great fantasy novel following it. The difference is the PJ and crew mangled what could have been a good adaptation of a good novel, while the makers of Star Wars didn't have anything good to begin with.

About the Klingon comparison, I think the PJ dwarves are way better designed than almost all of the Klingons. The latter are an extremely one-dimensional culture, which is a big problem in both Star Trek and Star Wars and many other works of Fantasy and SF - they're replete with Hat Species and Single Biome Planets. In addition to that, their equipment is immensely impractical, their language is just dorky and their costumes are terrible as well.
Unfortunately, PJ seems to have taken some cues from that, seeing as in his version of the Dwarves, they prefer clunky and impractical weapon designs. But still they're better and more restrained in design than the above fantasy cultures - except of course the occasional "axe in head" retarded element.

[ 12-16-2012, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
quote:
Can we have a 'Purist Rage' sticky thread, please? The mouth-foamers are aggregating...
And while we're at it, a "Movie-phile Ecstasy" one for the Pollyannas...
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Tigranes:

I never said all the Dwarfs looked like Klingons, just that Thorin looked like Gowron. However the others bore little resemblance to those in the book either; but what do you want from PJ, who had all the Dwarfs at the Council of Elrond fully armed and geared for battle? [] []

Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
quote:
And while we're at it, a "Movie-phile Ecstasy" one for the Pollyannas...
Pollyannas, lol.... []

IMHO, The last Purist Rage thread seemed like Orwell's '2 minutes hate' every day. It seems people have things going on in their lives that requires this catharsis. I suppose it must be therapeutic on some level, but I'm happy just to watch the people who take themselves too seriously make obsessive-compulsive fools of themselves. []

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention that either a love-thread or a hate-thread is sure to summon the dread WiKi... if it hasn't already. []
*tosses smoke bomb into room*
*vanishes in the confusion*
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wiki is the first poster (after WGW) in the hate thread, what a surprise.

In fairness we should have an agnostic thread but I guess I can live without it.

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting comments here. I just saw it and was turned off by the teenage-boy mentality (see my post in the "hated it" thread), but really I didn't dislike the movie. I just feel it would've been better without the childish attempts at humor and 13-year-old-male cool stuff. But maybe that's because it's been too long since I've been a 13-year-old male.
From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
It seems like all the "hate" is coming from those who demand everyone like the movie for those who didn't. Glad we have a purist thread.

[ 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
quote:
It seems like all the "hate" is coming from those who demand everyone like the movie for those who didn't.
[]

I have yet to see anyone tell anyone what to think of the movie. You really should try to up your game as far as reading comprehension goes. I just find over-the-top indignation hilarious, as if PJ's stuff is some personal affront.

Can we get a popcorn-munching smiley? []

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
[] []
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In fairness we should have an agnostic thread
I remember what it was like in the old days for those of us who didn't have a monolithic view of the films' qualities. Like going for a stroll along Cemetery Ridge during Pickett's Charge...

(Edit: Yeah, "understatement" is indeed my middle name.)

[ 12-17-2012, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Glóin the Dark ]

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

quote:
I just saw it and was turned off by the teenage-boy mentality (see my post in the "hated it" thread), but really I didn't dislike the movie. I just feel it would've been better without the childish attempts at humor and 13-year-old-male cool stuff.
I thought that the attempts at humour (or some of them, anyway) worked better than those in The Lord of the Rings. The juvenile subject matter (snot, etc.) notwithstanding, the actual delivery of the jokes was good enough to make me laugh a few times.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Reviews (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help