Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Reviews (Page 1)
Author Topic: Reviews
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the early reviews seem to be lukewarm.

The Telegraph gave it two stars and said: 'As a lover of cinema, Jackson’s film bored me rigid; as a lover of Tolkien, it broke my heart.'

The Guardian gave it three stars and said: 'Before you grow accustomed to [the new frame rate], it feels as if there has been a terrible mistake in the projection room and they are showing us the video location report from the DVD "making of" featurette, rather than the actual film.'

Not starting well.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A TORn reviewer says that the “Unexpected Party” chapter is depicted “pretty much verbatim” and that 40 minutes ( [] ) is devoted to the prologue in Erebor and the opening Bag End sequence.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
From the Telegraph review...

“Like butter that has been scraped over too much bread” was how JRR Tolkien described the supernatural world-weariness of Bilbo Baggins in the opening chapter of The Lord of the Rings.

This phrase, incomparably Tolkien-esque in its syntactic neatness and semantic beauty, is also a perfect description for the first instalment in Peter Jackson’s three-part adaptation of The Hobbit

Sums up what many of us feared upon hearing that this relatively short tale was becoming a 9 hour trilogy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The book begins with the unimprovable ten-word opening sentence: “In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit.” Jackson, by contrast, starts with an interminable narrative detour about a mining operation run by a team of dwarves, involving magic crystals, orc armies and details of dwarf family trees that are of interest, at this early stage in what is supposed to be a family film, to almost nobody.

Same complaints as LotR. PJ, in his boundless arrogance, seems to think he can tell the story better than the Professor himself. By and large, his "improvements" are anything but.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, two of their (the dwarfs) names are mispronounced throughout the entire film, which is unforgivable.

Who?

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Glóin is one of the mispronounced names supposedly but who cares about him? []

Anthony Lane has a mixed review in The New Yorker: "There is much to relish here" (mentioning Freeman and Armitage) but "[Jackson's Hobbit has many thrills, and rather too many spills, but it never sheds its bouquet of moonshine" (referring to Radagast); still, "on balance, justice has been done to Tolkien, not least in the famous riddle game". And he doesn't like the 48 FPS.

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Wandering Tuor jests, what with his casual dismissal of the single most important name in Tolkien's entire Legendarium.

[ 12-10-2012, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Glóin the Dark ]

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Looked like sarcasm to me.

So, what is the correct pronunciation of Glóin? Glow'in or Gloyn?

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Put it this way: there was a Dwarf named "Gróin," do the math []
While a Dwarf named "Growin'" might sound like an oxymoron, consider the alternative []
(And no, I am not making that up! Gróin was a Dwarf of the royal line of Durin's folk.)

As for The Unexpected Party, I just can't wait to see 14 people and one Hobbit packed into Bilbo's little kitchen, since all we see of Bag End is the kitchen and the study...so much for "the finest hobbit-hole anywhere." (I'm only wondering where they all sleep....
For example, consider the following drawing by Tolkien:
 -
Calculating, I deduced that the ceiling at least 11 feet... so much for Gandalf bumping his head, unless he was an Ent.

Am I to be blamed for enjoying these epic-fail reviews? []

[ 12-11-2012, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Looked like sarcasm to me.

[]

quote:
Glow'in or Gloyn?
Glo-in, or Glo-een to be more pedantic.

[ 12-11-2012, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Glóin the Dark ]

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So Glóin is pronounced like groin & loin? Prob'ly safe to assume the other mispronounced name was Óin. Perhaps they were calling Óin, Owen? []
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

There is an audio dramatization of The Hobbit — I have it, somewhere — in which they pronounce the ring-finder's [EDIT: ring-stealer's I guess I meant] name, "Ga-LOOM". Kinda like "balloon". Now that is unforgivable. Eliding Gló-in a bit (if that's what they do) - whatevs.

[ 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Seen The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR 3D.

My 'fantasy movie' rating for it: ~6.5/10
'Time of The Hobbit / expanded Hobbit adaptation' rating: ~4.5/10
'Adaptation of The Hobbit' rating: ~3/10

The HFR looked weird especially when there was sudden or quick movement.

I will perhaps see it in 2D as well.

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

Would you say it was better or worse than LotR, or perhaps more specifically, Fellowship?
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly worse, both as a movie and as an adaptation.
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Economist: An Unexpected Disappointment.

Edit:
The Hollywood Reporter is a bit more positive.

Variety is also lukewarm.

[ 12-12-2012, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

Forbes: Peter Jackson's Return To Middle Earth Is A Triumph

I'm particularly interested in what he says about the humour in the film, because I always found the attempts at humour in Jackson's The Lord of the Rings to be awful.

Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

Madomir,

quote:
So Glóin is pronounced like groin & loin?
No, more like "Owen".

[ 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Glóin the Dark ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not even judging, it took me until after I'd actually met you IRL before I realised it was a pune, or play on words.
[]
Ich bin stupido.

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

quote:
it took me until after I'd actually met you IRL before I realised it was a pune, or play on words
Ah, my luminosity gave it away then...
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it today in 24fps 3D. It was ok. It's been a long time since I read the book, so I've forgotten the 'canon.' I found it seemed pretty true to the source material, though. I thought Martin Freeman was very good as Bilbo.

Don't know what I think of Radagast-The Guano-Covered, though.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

Of the critics who saw the film at 48fps, those who didn't hate the format seem largely to have had far better opinions of the other aspects of the film.

Sight and Sound

Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Glóin the Dark

quote:
I'm particularly interested in what he says about the humour in the film, because I always found the attempts at humour in Jackson's The Lord of the Rings to be awful.
Word has it that the Forbes article was written by Terrance&Phillip [] []
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Maia Olorin
quote:
I saw it today in 24fps 3D.
Interesting, I was just speculating that 48fps would be used for a more advanced 3D-effect. Did you notice any differnce between it and regular 3D?

quote:
Don't know what I think of Radagast-The Guano-Covered, though.
I do: it was the one cameo in the films in which Pudge actually belonged, he's perfect for playing a doody-head without even trying!
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
24fps is standard video. I found The Hobbit to be quite well done in that format. There wasn't really a lot of 'look at this cool effect!' type of shots. It just blended well, and wasn't as blurry as some 3D can be. I'll have to see it in German to see the 48fps version.

My overall impression is positive, although it is a bit long. I doubt there will be extended versions.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Maia Olorin
quote:
24fps is standard video.
Yes, for standard 2D, but I was wondering if they were using a new 3D technique with 48fps to alternate polarization between frames on the 3D, reel so that it comes out 24fps right and left each, from the 48fps reel.

That would explain why it's less blurry, i.e. you get 24fps in 3D from a 48fps reel, since the left and right angles each get 24 separate frames per second, rather than trying to show the both angles on the same frame, just polarized differently; that sounds like it would be somewhat blurry due to cross-polarization on the reflected frame from the screen.

[ 12-13-2012, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
Madomir posted:
quote:
[...] two of their (the dwarfs) names are mispronounced throughout the entire film, which is unforgivable.

Who?

The ones I thought most mispronounced were Thráin and Dáin. They were pronounced as "Thrane" and "Dane", when they should be more like "Thrah-in" and "Dah-in".

[ 12-13-2012, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Halion ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Reviews (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help