profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » 48 Frames Per Second
Author Topic: 48 Frames Per Second
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A brief (and elvishly vacillating) report on what it's like seeing The Hobbit at 48 FPS.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Another article on the subject.
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Key quote from Glóin's link:
quote:
Expect vitriol, and plenty of it.
A Tolkien inspired Peter Jackson movie . . . produce vitriol ???

No. Way. []

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The twitchfilm article slams anyone who professes not to like 48fps - that's the kind of thing that would make me want to dislike it on principle. Sigh.
From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Its it possible that this is an intro to a new 3-D format?
I know very little of this, but it would seem that 24fps creates problems for 3D, while 48fps allows splitting the images between angles at 24fps each, while at the same time allowing higher rates for normal 2D viewing.

(Failing that, however, perhaps the faster speed is to allow a new subliminal-suggestion technique for flashing "THIS FILM DOES NOT SUCK!")

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We saw it last night @48 fps. It was a little jarring at moments, but, on the whole, I liked it. The panoramic sweeps were stunning, the special FX and 3D were sharp and much clearer than 24fps. People saying that they could see the makeup and the fakeness of the sets must've been imagining things, because I couldn't detect them. I expect that if I had been used to it, I wouldn't have even noticed.
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sentarius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 525
posted      Profile for Sentarius   Email Sentarius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who didn't notice the framerate at all?
From: USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, I didn't. But I saw it in 2D and I'm told that the 48fps was 3D only, so I wouldn't. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in 2D and plan to go see it in 48 fps, but have to admit there are aspects of the troll scene that I would love to avoid in crystal clear 3D - to wit, the parts PJ swiped from the troll encounter in the first Harry Potter. Blech Blech and Blech.

edit: realized i wrote fpm. Wouldn't be all that clear then, eh?

[ 01-03-2013, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: Miz Lobelia ]

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll say that after having watched the hobbit 1 on TV, it seemed slightly better than when I saw it in 3D 48fps.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » 48 Frames Per Second
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help