Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » It's Official: "The Hobbit" Will Be a Trilogy (Page 1)
Author Topic: It's Official: "The Hobbit" Will Be a Trilogy
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Peter Jackson confirmed the rumors today on his FaceBook page.

Anil Dash reassures us:

quote:
Since when have diehard fans of a giant fantasy universe ever been disappointed by a bloated prequel trilogy?

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance.
Untold. Yeah. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I had a scoop for a second, but someone always gets the paper before you do. []

I think the middle film should be nothing but dwarves in barrels. Their inner monologues... Their hopes and fears... Be a shame if they missed this chance to really make stuff up for the sake of making profitable movies. But that's me.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Their hopes and fears will remain untold if PJ does not take that chance.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the middle film should be nothing but dwarves in barrels. Their inner monologues... Their hopes and fears...
[] [] []
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
riverrunning, past elves and adans, from erebor to bag end (eh?) . . .
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the third film is to make sure the made up warrior elf chick character gets to have her sex scene with Legolas... or something.
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think there will be a scene where Bilbo, Gandalf, and the Dwarves find swords in the cave, and we will see an explanation as to where Glamdring, Orcrist, and Sting came from. Elrond tells them that they were made for the Goblin wars, but they were also in Gondolin. That's bringing in a bit of the Silmarillion.

We'll definitely see the meeting of the White Council which will include a good-guy Saruman. PJ will probably use the LOTR appendices to tell how the race of Dwarves originated from Aule down to Thorin Oakenshield. We might see how Smaug came about.

I can't see PJ telling the stories of the great Tolkien heroes for many years yet. Tuor, Turin, Eorl, Earendil, Beren, Fingolfin, Feanor, the Kin Strife, Earnur, Cirion, Bandobras Took, Battle of Nanduhirion, Battle of Five Armies, etc.

From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A Tom Bombadil special
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

To my mind, Jackson's statement conveys defensiveness more than enthusiasm.
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

The third film will be Bilbo in Bag End trying to prepare a huge tray of sandwiches with just one small knob of butter to go round them all.
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't see PJ telling the stories of the great Tolkien heroes for many years yet. Tuor, Turin, Eorl, Earendil, Beren, Fingolfin, Feanor, the Kin Strife, Earnur, Cirion, Bandobras Took, Battle of Nanduhirion, Battle of Five Armies, etc.
He doesn't have film rights to anything that's only in The Silmarillion, as far as I understand.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But could they not take a paragraph from the appendices such as the battle of Fornost and the end of Arnor and make a film of that, though I do admit this is Fanfiction territory
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Information from the Appendices! Yes! Much of this canon can be added to the Hobbit Trilogy. Not to mention fodder for PJ's propensity toward gratuitous and inaccurate additions. There is also plenty of room for female characters to appear (Referring the other thread in this forum: Female characters in The Hobbit).

(I haven’t read any movie spoilers so forgive any references to actual scenes if they appear here.)

From LoTR Appendix B - The tale of Years (Chronology of the Westlands) – The Third Age

2570 Baldor son of Brego enters the Forbidden Door and is lost. About this time Dragons reappear in the far North and begin to afflict the Dwarves.

2590 Thrór returns to Erebor. Grór his brother goes to the Iron Hills.

2670 Tobold plants - pipe-weed - in the Southfarthing.

2770 Smaug the Dragon descends on Erebor. Dale destroyed. Thrór escapes with Thráin II and Thorin II. (Between 2570 and 2770 – PJ could add Smaug's mate. And maybe some sort of fiery, aerial mating ritual . . . Nah. Too disturbing. How about Smaug’s mom with Smaug suckling . . . Never mind.)

2790 Thrór slain by an Orc in Moria. The Dwarves gather for a war of vengeance. Birth of Gerontius, later known as the Old Took.

2793 The War of the Dwarves and Orcs begins.

2799 Battle of Nanduhirion before the East-gate of Moria. Dáin Ironfoot returns to the Iron Hills. Thráin II and his son Thorin wander westwards. They settle in the South of Ered Luin beyond the Shire (2802).

2845 Thráin the Dwarf is imprisoned in Dol Guldur; the last of the Seven Rings is taken from him.

2850 Gandalf again enters Dol Guldur, and discovers that its master is indeed Sauron who is gathering all the Rings and seeking for news of the One, and of Isildur's Heir. He finds Thráin and receives the key of Erebor. Thráin dies in Dol Guldur.

2851 The White Council meets. Gandalf urges an attack on Dol Guldur. Saruman overrules him. Saruman begins to search near the Gladden Fields.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

2890 Bilbo born in the Shire. (Bilbo's mom, Belladonna can be introduced.)

2911 The Fell Winter. The Baranduin and other rivers are frozen. White Wolves invade Eriador from the North. (Part of Bilbo’s childhood with Belladonna.)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

2942 Bilbo returns to the Shire with the Ring. Sauron returns in secret to Mordor.

2944 Bard rebuilds Dale and becomes King. Gollum leaves the Mountains and begins his search for the - Thief - of the Ring. (The beginning of Gollum's search would nicely tie this movie trilogy into the FoTR movie.)

[ 08-03-2012, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Aiwrendel ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The name of the 3rd movie has been announced.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Profit. []

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
3 movies for The Hobbit? I wonder if they'll all be 3 hours long as well. This thing is going to be unrecognizable when all PJ's add-ins are finally installed. Hard to imagine The Hobbit, even with appendices, requires as much screen time as LOTR.

On a side note... been watching "Game of Thrones" lately, after watching season one there is no doubt left in my mind that a miniseries is the way to go with Tolkien's world. LotR and The Sil especially would be outstanding in this format. Actually the Hobbit would be too, each Hobbit chapter is sort of a little adventure unto itself and could be a great miniseries episode.

[ 08-21-2012, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Does anyone remember those few words about stone-giants? I think it's going to be a 30 minute action sequence!
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bilbo had never seen or imagined anything of the kind. They were high up in a narrow place, with a dreadful fall into a dim valley at one side of them. There they were sheltering under a hanging rock for the night, and he lay beneath a blanket and shook from head to toe. When he peeped out in the lightning-flashes, he saw that across the valley the stone-giants were out and were hurling rocks at one another for a game, and catching them, and tossing them down into the darkness where they smashed among the trees far below, or splintered into little bits with a bang. Then came a wind and a rain, and the wind whipped the rain and the hail about in every direction, so that an overhanging rock was no protection at all. Soon they were getting drenched and their ponies were standing with their heads down and their tails between their legs, and some of them were whinnying with fright. They could hear the giants guffawing and shouting all over the mountainsides.
"This won't do at all!" said Thorin. "If we don't get blown off or drowned, or struck by lightning, we shall be picked up by some giant and kicked sky-high for a football."

~~~~~~~~~~~~ later on... ~~~~~~~~~~~

"I must see if I can't find a more or less decent giant to block it up again," said Gandalf, "or soon there will be no getting over the mountains at all."

[ 09-23-2012, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: pi ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hamfast Gamgee:
quote:
But could they not take a paragraph from the appendices such as the battle of Fornost and the end of Arnor and make a film of that, though I do admit this is Fanfiction territory
And we all know that Peter Fanwank Jackson would never dream of doing anything like that! []

Varnafindë:
quote:
He doesn't have film rights to anything that's only in The Silmarillion, as far as I understand.
I wouldn't think so, since that's Christopher's work, and Chris simply despises P.F. Jackson.

As for Stone-giants, I have to ask if they weren't just a fanciful addition by Bilbo for falling rocks in the storm, why they wouldn't be at risk of being struck by lightning themselves?
That would explain why they were never mentioned again.

[ 09-24-2012, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Do you know, I think I have noticed a new trend in the Internet. Gone are the days when some purists used to compare movie with book scene by scene, line by line with the movies worse of course. Now I seem to be hearing lots of threads with thoughts along the line of, 'I really liked the Lotr movies, but I fear the Hobbit will not be the same because of...........'
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Meithinks they doth praiseth too much []

Either way, I'm editing the crap out of it!

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HT
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 282
posted      Profile for HT   Email HT   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I for one blame the fans.

"The book is too short."

From: Cambridge, ON | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the Hobbit trailer last night.. can't wait to find out who wins the Bilbo v Gollum sword fight. I musta missed that chapter in that old dead guy's version. []
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
quote:
can't wait to find out who wins the Bilbo v Gollum sword fight.
That's not Gollum, it looks like a goblin. As usual, it looks like Jackson didn't bother researching what they looked like.

[ 12-01-2012, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » It's Official: "The Hobbit" Will Be a Trilogy (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help