Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » I'm just gonna go ahead and leave this here. (Page 1)
Author Topic: I'm just gonna go ahead and leave this here.
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boom.

You're welcome. []

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Also here.

I'm moderately pleased with what I saw. But Something about the makeup for the dwarves just looks off to me. And the actor playing Thorin (I thought it was Gerard Butler at first) just doesn't look dwarvish at all...

The real highlight will be Smaug, however. And the Battle of the Five Armies. Looking forward to that. []

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
SHUT. UP.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

So much nerdgasm. [] [] [] []

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The scenery excites me, but... I'm very wary of what's been done to the story. Mostly, I'm looking forward to Smaug, the Eagles, and Lake-town.
quote:
And the actor playing Thorin (I thought it was Gerard Butler at first) just doesn't look dwarvish at all...
Yes, far too attractive for a dwarf. []

And it's Richard Armitage. []

From: Mnemosyne's orchard | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me where the song comes from (sounding quite nice so far)?

Also, some invented scenes (or from another story). And the same mis-fitting actors from the earlier franchise. IMO The Dwarven actors and Martin Freeman do look the part, though. Maybe Armitage could be made more dwarvish?

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it. It looks promising. I wonder how many LotR Haters will go see it, just because they like to foam at the mouth? []
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care about this movie at all : should I be concerned ? []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's any invented scenes. They are pulling stuff from the appendices so it's all stuff Tolkien wrote about but didn't actually show in the Hobbit. Personally I think it's kind of cool, since we'll get to see what the hell Gandalf was doing when he kept leaving them in the book.

Inc' -- you're allowed to have opinions, but I'll have to tell you that yes, something is wrong with you. You might want to look into that. []

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Inventing stuff about Tolkien? I'm not sure about that idea []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the Dwarves all singing a capella in Bilbo's place; what happened to the all the harps, fiddles and flutes?
Ah well, done is done.

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tigranes: The song is from early on in the book, after dinner, when the dwarves are reminiscing.

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient kings and elvish lord
There many a gleaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.

On silver necklaces they strung
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon-fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light and moon and sun.

For over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day,
To claim our long-forgotten gold.

Goblets they carved there for themselves
And harps of gold; where no man delves
There lay they lay long, and many a song
Was sung unheard by man or elves.

The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night.
The fire was red, it flaming spread;
Laid low like torches blazed with light.

The bells were ringing in the dale
And men looked up with faces pale;
Then dragon's ire more fierce than fire
Laid low their towers and houses frail.

The mountains smoked beneath the moon;
The dwarves, they heard the tramp of doom.
They fled their hall to dying fall
Beneath his feet, beneath the moon.

For over the misty mountains grim
To dungeons deep and caverns dim
We must away, ere break of day,
To win our harps and gold from him!

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Having not been in the city for a while, I hadn't seen this thread, but have just come across the trailer elsewhere and was going to post a link. I think it looks amazing, and am so glad we shall be able to see it before the world ends []
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well there's still the aversion to music and poetry, since the Dwarves have no musical instruments with them for the party, they're just singing like monks.... and of course, "thank you brother squirrel, for the horn" where background musical accompaniment just pops out of nowhere.

[ 12-23-2011, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I liked what I saw, for the most part, and really liked what I heard. The dwarf-song has been stuck in my head for two days now. Very nice. None of this namby-pamby elf-tenor look-at-my-shimmering-silky-hair stuff here!

[ 12-23-2011, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Éoric of the Riddermark ]

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was a bit worried about TH despite my faith in PJ, until I saw that trailer. It looks very good! []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the song - hopefully there will be more in that vein. Like DQ, I was worried about TH, but now I can't wait to see it.
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I also liked the trailer - will be watching it again quite a few times! []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lilli - I thought about it more, and I think the reason I don't care is that I don't really like Bilbo. I like the book enough (although I'm not crazy about it either) but I think that I see Bilbo as very old and kind of creepy (as he is described in the LoTR movie, IMO, in which I had my first 'vision' of Bilbo ever). So I guess that's that. []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like Bilbo or Dwarves... []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atmospherium
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5323
posted      Profile for Atmospherium   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hate you Peter Saruman Jackson.
From: The Niagara Frontier | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Inc:
quote:
Lilli - I thought about it more, and I think the reason I don't care is that I don't really like Bilbo. I like the book enough (although I'm not crazy about it either) but I think that I see Bilbo as very old and kind of creepy (as he is described in the LoTR movie, IMO, in which I had my first 'vision' of Bilbo ever). So I guess that's that.
The ironic thing is that Bilbo is supposed to look exactly the same in both movies at the Bag End parties.

I don't like the Dwarves either.

Edit: I just read the credits: "Screenplay by Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens and Peter Jackson"

I think we know what's coming; already here's one thing which struck me as strange:

Thorin: "I cannot guarantee his safety."
Gandalf: "Understood."
Thorin: "Nor will I be responsible for his fate."
Gandalf: "Very good."
Thorin: "And I can't promise he'll be unharmed."
Gandalf: "Very well."
Thorin: "Don't blame me if something happens to him."
Gandalf: "Okay I get it!"
Thorin: "And you'll have to sign this release-form...."

[ 12-25-2011, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tigranes: The song is from early on in the book, after dinner, when the dwarves are reminiscing.
Sorry I meant the tune, not the text. I know where the text is from. Shoulda phrased it more clearly.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Ah, gotcha! I was a little surprised when I thought you meant the song. I figured you'd have known that. []

As for the music itself, it sounds like Howard Shore's work, so I'm assuming it will be one of the main themes for the movie. Maybe it will be Thorin and Company's theme akin to the Fellowship's theme in LOTR.

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Missed them the first time but I saw the trolls (well, the lower half of them) in the second viewing.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Casting a different Bilbo is retarded and dilutes the power of The One Ring. It also contradicts the Wingnuts' previous film where Gandalf tells Bilbo, "you haven't aged a day!"

They'll have to splice some new footage into FotR.
"Oh, but I have!" replies Bilbo. "See, I used to look like a younger guy named Martin Freeman but now I look like Ian Holm." []

And why is Thorin so freaking young and mannish?

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » I'm just gonna go ahead and leave this here. (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help