Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » First images of The Hobbit! (Page 7)
Author Topic: First images of The Hobbit!
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, you guys are just walking encyclopedias! Color me impressed!

Anyway, Cave Men could come out in the sunlight, so there's no reason to believe Cave Trolls couldn't do the same.

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No men turn to stone in the sun, cave or otherwise.
Meanwhile the hill-trolls are the only ones that don't; the others were bred during "the Twilight years" before Sauron created the Olog-hai.

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I wasn't trying to equate cave trolls with the Olog-hai, just noting that I didn't remember anything much about 'cave trolls' specifically.

Tolkien himself wasn't sure about the stone-trolls in The Hobbit, and in one of his letters (written somewhere in the early 1950s if I recall correctly), as I read it, he even wondered if they could not be 'made' rather than corrupted from something, even despite having the power of speech. Tolkien had been asked about the possibility that one of the stone-trolls, at least, might have showed pity.

In any case, in came the Olog-hai, a new race which got around any sun problems.

[ 07-23-2011, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Galin ]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But those were only featured in one instance of LotR, not every single troll other than the three in The Hobbit:
quote:
‘You are forgetting not only your family history, but all you ever knew about trolls,’ said Strider. ‘It is broad daylight with a bright sun, and yet you come back trying to scare me with a tale of live trolls waiting for us in this glade!'
Flight to the Ford

And Aragorn's grandfather, Amandil, had been killed by the Olog-hai, so he'd know of their existence. they simply didn't exist in that region.

As for trolls being "made" rather than corrupted, they might have existed in their own right at one time (i.e. they were never Ents); but the earliest trolls would have been corrupted by Melkor and the Orcs; rather than enlightened by the Elves, like the Ents were. And then Sauron in turn corrupted some of these Melkor-trolls into the Olog-hai; but they only existed in two places, i.e. near Dol Guldur and the Mountains of Mordor, and probably only when Sauron was in those respective places.
In light of the above, I have to say, therefore, that it seems that the Olog-hai were few in comparison to the other trolls, and it wasn't simply a way to circumvent trolls being in the sunlight.

[ 07-23-2011, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But those were only featured in one instance of LotR, not every single troll other than the three in The Hobbit:
Not sure, but if this is in response to something I posted, in any event I did not say simply to get around sunlight, but that the Olog-hai were a new type that did get around this -- which I do think is at least somewhat notable from an external perspective, as Tolkien could now employ a kind of Troll without needing darkness, if he desired.

And my mention of Tolkien's letter is an addition of possible external interest too: at the time he wrote the letter at least, JRRT did muse that the stone-trolls in The Hobbit were possibly 'made' (again as I read the description there), whatever Tolkien ultimately decided, or wrote anywhere else about trolls.

[ 07-24-2011, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Galin ]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Oh no, I was referring to Peter Jackson's continuously showing trolls enduring sunlight, despite having shown the trolls which were turned to stone by sunlight. Sorry for the mix-up.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Then, regarding PJ's LOTR, I'll just assume it was a Cave Troll that we saw in Moria, and Hill Trolls throughout the rest of the films. Or maybe the one in Moria was a Hill Troll that was captured, and Boromir just mistook him for a Cave Troll.

Either way, I'm still eager to see how the Stone Trolls will look and sound in PJ's Hobbit.

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[nitpick]Then shouldn't the movie's cave troll have been turned to stone in the Chamber of Mazarbul from that shaft of sunlight that fell squarely on Balin's tomb? I thought I saw him pass through it once or twice during the fight.[/nitpick]
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

It'll take more than a momentary pass through a shaft of sunlight to turn him into stone. Plus, it's never been proven that cave trolls can't come out in sunlight.

This can go on forever, so let's just agree that the movie universe is a little different from the book universe, and leave it at that. []

Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
quote:
This can go on forever, so let's just agree that the movie universe is a little different from the book universe, and leave it at that.
Well one can't argue with that... like the wooden door in Moria []
laurelindo
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11348
posted      Profile for laurelindo   Email laurelindo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they don't do the rush-mistake that I saw in a few places in the LOTR movies, which is to speed past large parts very quickly;
one example of this would be to have a Dwarf appear at Bilbo's door and then instantly cut to a scene with Bilbo, Gandalf and all the Dwarves quickly recounting what they did last night.

Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
After seeing Bilbo's long-expected party portrayed with such care and such detail, I wouldn't think they'd skimp on the un-expected one. Same for the trolls, Rivendell etc. and they'll be expected to stretch the one book into 2 films. So one would think that they'd preserve everything faithfully.

Having said that, however, I did delete over 50 minutes of non-book related material from "Fellowship of the Ring," and the film was still 126 long when I finished; and I gave up entirely on the remaining films. So one shouldn't be surprised to see it happen again.

[ 08-13-2011, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In slighlty good news, I did read that the Dwarves will have coloured hoods at least so they at least have some connection to the book. I just hope they don't go the way of the relatively recent Robin Hood TV series where they decided to 'upgrade' the legend by getting rid of the green cloaks with armour and heavy metal style garments. Unfortunately, despite some good moments, the series totally bombed and after 3 series was cancelled and is now forgotten!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think Gimli's look was half bad. They should have stuck with that style and eschewed the Flock of Seagulls hairdos.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Gimli's look wasn't good, he was wearing full battle-gear the whole movie. That's not a good traveler's garb.
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

posted      Profile for Sam Gamgee   Email Sam Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit, I haven't been as up-to-date with these films as I was in the lead up to the FotR. Call me a little skeptical about a 14-A version of The Hobbit. However, it seems to me that the hype is not as big for these films. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but it seems that apart from the production diaries, there seems to be a lot fewer images coming out from the sets of the film. Has anyone else found this as well?

[ 06-22-2012, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Sam Gamgee ]

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've seen plenty of hype, but then I do often spend my time hanging about in sites that seem to discuss the prospect of the movies!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ten new images.

-

[ 07-05-2012, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And here is a description of the 12 minute clip shown at Comic-Con. Which included a shot of Radagast's sled pulled by rabbits.

[] []
. []

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love that THAT is your interpretation of a rabbit smiley. I would have gone with:
[] []
. []

myself.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

[] . []
. []

[] Footage has leaked []

[ 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

More stills.
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Bilbo's hired as a burglar, and he's wearing a bright red coat?
[]

Edit:

quote:
The reading of the contract is hilarious, as Bilbo goes over the terms and the various dwarves jump to reassure him that it will be painless once he’s turned ash. James Nesbitt, as Bofur, is superbly funny.
I've got baaaaaaaaad feeling about this...

quote:
Radagast is full-bearded, rough-looking, with a big hat… which we later see conceals a number of birds. He’s cuddling his bunnies a hedgehog, and later on we see him racing through the forest on the infamous “bunnysled”.
Please tell me this is a parody of some type? []

[ 09-15-2012, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Anyone else heard the rumour that Bifor will only speak Dwarven?
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » First images of The Hobbit! (Page 7)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help