Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » First images of The Hobbit! (Page 6)
Author Topic: First images of The Hobbit!
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What are we basing our ideas of dwarves on?
The books. Tolkien never described his dwarfs in a way that could be considered attractive or pretty but some of PJ's are clearly crafted in that fashion. Maybe it is just the stylized appearance of these pics that's turning me off.

Actually, it's difficult to think of a less dwarvish word than 'stylized'. []

[ 07-21-2011, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's been awhile since I read the books, but Tolkien ever go into extreme detail about what they actually looked like (other than stout with large beards)? I'm honestly wondering, because Tolkien didn't normally go into lengths about his character's appearance (except maybe the elves?)
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently they will not come close to the book dwarves...

From Unexpected Party...

quote:
Dwalin: It was a dwarf with a blue beard tucked into a golden belt, and very bright eyes under his dark-green hood.
Balin: a very old-looking dwarf on the step with a white beard and a scarlet hood;
Fili and Kili: two more dwarves, both with blue hoods, silver belts, and yellow beards;
it was FIVE: Another dwarf had come along while he was wondering in the hall. He had hardly turned the knob, before they were all inside, bowing and saying "at your service" one after another. Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, and Glóin were their names; and very soon two purple hoods, a grey hood, a brown hood, and a white hood were hanging on the pegs, and off they marched with their broad hands stuck in their gold and silver belts to join the others.
Let me introduce Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, and especially Thorin!"
"At your service!" said Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur standing in a row.
Then they hung up two yellow hoods and a pale green one; and also a sky-blue one with a long silver tassel. This last belonged to Thorin, an enormously important dwarf, in fact no other than the great Thorin Oakenshield himself, who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo's mat with Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur on top of him. For one thing Bombur was immensely fat and heavy.

...and their instruments...

quote:
"Now for some music!" said Thorin. "Bring out the instruments!"
Kili and Fili rushed for their bags and brought back little fiddles;
Dori, Nori, and Ori brought out flutes from somewhere inside their coats; Bombur produced a drum from the hall; Bifur and Bofur went out too, and came back with clarinets that they had left among the walking-sticks. Dwalin and Balin said: "Excuse me, I left mine in the porch!" "Just bring mine in with you," said Thorin. They came back with viols as big as themselves, and with Thorin's harp wrapped in a green cloth.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the look fits with the film cannon I'm cool with it.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As long as the look fits with the film cannon I'm cool with it.

Ditto for me, Neytari.

Is it really hard for other people to get that?

Man, I can't wait to see how Beorn looks, and Smaug, and the Goblin King, and the spectacle of the Battle of the Five Armies!

[ 07-21-2011, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Snowman of Forochel ]

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Blue and yellow beards?? I hadn't remembered that. That would look ridiculous on film if they had followed that to the letter. [] So I'm glad at least they didn't go through with that.
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[ 07-22-2011, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know it's been awhile since I read the books, but Tolkien ever go into extreme detail about what they actually looked like (other than stout with large beards)?
been a while since I've read the Hobbit as well but I seem to recall quite a few mentions about their large noses, perhaps in the chapters with the trolls and then the spiders.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I find those dwarves prerable to these:

-

And even these:
 -

[ 07-22-2011, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
IMO the traditional depiction of the Dwarves are a little bit silly and I think pictures from the upcoming PJ film aren't that bad (apart from most of the swords and other "minor" details). Why not go for a "darker and edgier" look - it's certainly worth trying.
It's just that previous experiences with Jackson's interpretation have taught me to be wary.

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Darker and edgier" can be silly too. It usually is, IMHO.

[ 07-22-2011, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if you overdo it and produce Emos. Which hopefully isn't going to happen here. There are a few positive examples around, such as Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight Trilogy".
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, though, anyone that was expecting the dwarves in The Hobbit to not be based on the style established in the LOTR movies was kidding themselves. Why would the same director, production company, and concept artists suddenly change their style when they're trying to connect one set of movies to another?
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Blue and yellow beards?? I hadn't remembered that. That would look ridiculous on film if they had followed that to the letter. So I'm glad at least they didn't go through with that.
Mostly silver-white, or let's say even silver-grey (of various shades) might not look ridiculous with a hint of blue; and as for 'yellow' I see nothing wrong with that.

Tolkien described the Vanyar as mostly yellow or golden haired, so 'yellow' needn't be some ridiculous version of yellow. It may be that initially the Dwarves were meant to seem 'outlandish' so Tolkien imagined them with quite notable and 'odd' colouring, but if true I'm not sure we can't tone things down for individual interpretations, or for a film.

Tolkien kept the colour for the 1960 Hobbit -- intended as a 'full revision' to fit better with The Lord of the Rings -- perhaps feeling that the words could stand while the interpretation could change? Or perhaps he simply liked the colours and saw nothing wrong with them; or in any case at least blue and yellow could be open to interpretation.

For myself: rather a hint of blue in a silvery beard than... let's see now... a broken weapon stuck in some Dwarf's head... to raise an example I don't think anyone would actually employ.

[]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

quote:
Honestly, though, anyone that was expecting the dwarves in The Hobbit to not be based on the style established in the LOTR movies was kidding themselves. Why would the same director, production company, and concept artists suddenly change their style when they're trying to connect one set of movies to another?
So by your logic the trolls in the Hobbit will be the same as the ones we saw opening the Black Gate in RotK? How disappointing. []

And for the record, I don't recall any scenes in PJ's tragedy, err... trilogy.. where Gimli appeared to have used a blow dryer or mousse... so these dwarves aren't quite the same. []

[ 07-22-2011, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

quote:
So by your logic the trolls in the Hobbit will be the same as the ones we saw opening the Black Gate in RotK? How disappointing.
I imagine they'll look somewhat similar. Similar enough to be considered related to the trolls we saw in FotR and RotK. Though of course I'm sure they'll look a little bit different, as the trolls in The Hobbit demonstrate a bit more intelligence (well, relatively speaking [] ) than the others we saw in LotR.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So by your logic the trolls in the Hobbit will be the same as the ones we saw opening the Black Gate in RotK? How disappointing.
No, because the ones in LOTR were Cave Trolls. The ones that Bilbo encounters are Stone Trolls. So if they do look different, there's your reason. []

quote:
And for the record, I don't recall any scenes in PJ's tragedy, err... trilogy.. where Gimli appeared to have used a blow dryer or mousse... so these dwarves aren't quite the same.

They look slightly different from Gimli because they're from Erebor, while Gimli's people are from Moria. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Actually, Snowman, most of the dwarves in The Hobbit are also of Durin's Folk, like Gimli; specifically, Thorin, Bálin, Dwálin, Óin, Glóin, Fíli, and Kíli. At least those seven were all descended from dwarves who had once lived in Khazad-dûm. Gimli was born in the Blue Mountains, but later moved to Erebor after it was reclaimed for the dwarves.

[ 07-23-2011, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

quote:
They look slightly different from Gimli because they're from Erebor, while Gimli's people are from Moria. []
[] That's cute, it's kinda like when the 7 year old kid tries to tell Dad how to drive the car. In case you were wonderin', one of Bilbo's dwarves just happens to be Gimli's father (Gloin) so they're from the same 'people'. []

I'm suddenly reminded of a quote from earlier in this thread..

quote:
it would confuse people who saw LOTR, but never read Tolkien.
[]
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

Doesn't matter, this is 60 years earlier, and the styles and fashions were different. I don't know and I don't care. They look great, and they don't look that much different from Gimli at all.

Just suspend your disbelief and enjoy. []

I'm definitely right about the Trolls anyway.

And I did read Tolkien, just not every other day like you, Maddo. []

Oh, and thanks for the refresher course, Eomer. [] []

[ 07-23-2011, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: Snowman of Forochel ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snowman of Forchel:
quote:
No, because the ones in LOTR were Cave Trolls.
Then how could they exist in the sunlight? Only hill-trolls could stand the sun without turning to stone, IIRC. There was a shaft of sunlight coming down in Moria where we saw the cave-troll, and all the other trolls in the movies were running around in full daylight.

[ 07-23-2011, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

Cave Trolls are able to withstand sunlight. They are not the same trolls that Bilbo encountered in the Trollshaws. Those were Stone Trolls.

Hill Trolls and Cave Trolls look pretty much alike, as seen in the movies. Stone Trolls are a different animal altogether, and they can talk.

Know your trolls, dude. []

[ 07-23-2011, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Snowman of Forochel ]

Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall much information about 'cave trolls' specifically, but...

quote:
'… Trolls, as you probably know, must be underground before dawn, or they go back to the stuff of the mountains they are made of,
and never move again.' The Hobbit, Roast Mutton

'… At the end of the Third Age a troll-race not before seen appeared in southern Mirkwood and in the mountain borders of Mordor. Olog-hai they were called in the Black Speech (...) Unlike the older race of the Twilight they could endure the Sun, so long as the will of Sauron held sway over them.' The Return of the King, Appendix F

Bilbo's Stone-trolls spoke Westron, and generally the Olog-hai spoke little and used the Black Speech.

[ 07-23-2011, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Galin ]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

Good job, Galin.

I really hope PJ portrays the Stone Trolls in the Hobbit as totally different than the ones in the LOTR trilogy.

Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
I beg to differ here. This is the complete passage in the Appendix on Trolls:
quote:
Trolls. Troll has been used to translate the Sindarin Torog. In their beginning far back in the twilight of the Elder Days, these were creatures of dull and lumpish nature and had no more language than beasts. But Sauron had made use of them, teaching them what little they could learn, and increasing their wits with wickedness. Trolls therefore took such language as they could master from the Orcs; and in the Westlands the Stone-trolls spoke a debased form of the Common Speech.
But at the end of the Third Age a troll-race not before seen appeared in southern Mirkwood and in the mountain borders of Mordor. Olog-hai they were called in the Black Speech. That Sauron bred them none doubted, though from what stock was not known. Some held that they were not Trolls but giant Orcs; but the Olog-hai were in fashion of body and mind quite unlike even the largest of Orc-kind, whom they far surpassed in size and power. Trolls they were, but filled with the evil will of their master: a fell race, strong, agile, fierce and cunning, but harder than stone. Unlike the older race of the Twilight they could endure the Sun, so long as the will of Sauron held sway over them. They spoke little, and the only tongue that they knew was the Black Speech of Barad-dûr.

The Olog-hai were the "hill-trolls out of Gorgoroth" mentioned at the Black Gate when Sauron sprung his trap. They were simply "taller and broader than men," in contrast to the other types which were as tall as Ents.

Stone-trolls, cave-trolls and mountain-trolls, in contrast, would be unable to endure the sun. Mountain-trolls were the type that wielded Grond; this was shortly before sunrise, and they're never mentioned again in the Battle of the Pelennor fields, inevitably for this reason.
As for cave-trolls, Moria was neither southern Mirkwood nor the mountain borders of Mordor, so there was no reason to suggest that they were Olog-hai. Rather, the fact that they were cave trolls would indicate that they couldn't endure the sunlight.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » First images of The Hobbit! (Page 6)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help