Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » First images of The Hobbit! (Page 5)
Author Topic: First images of The Hobbit!
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the axe was the weapon of choice for dwarves, but these pictures seem to indicate otherwise.

e: It looks like it is only Gloin holding one.

[ 07-17-2011, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The thought of Glóin wielding his axe in public fills me with horror........though I'm sure Swelf won't complain! []
[]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Swelf would be swollen with happiness! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Positively glowing I bet he'd be, old boy []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lilli

quote:
Now, I wonder what our own Glóin has to say about this new likeness
 -

Jeez Louise! No way. That could be Balin or Bifur or Kili or Thorin or Fundin or Dáin or Frerin or Borin or Dís or Dúrin, to a reasonable likeness, but it's not acceptable for me. Did Johnny Depp pull out?

My lawyer's getting this film shut down.

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wetty:

quote:
The thought of Glóin wielding his axe in public fills me with horror
I perceive in that a surplus of protestation.
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorin Oakenshield and Orcrist!

-
quote:
As a young Dwarf prince, Thorin witnessed the destruction and terror wrought when a great fire-breathing Dragon attacked the Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor. After slaughtering many of Thorin's kin, the great serpent, Smaug, entered The Lonely Mountain and took possession of its vast store of gold and jewels. No-one came to the aid of the surviving Dwarves, and thus, a once proud and noble race was forced into exile. Through long years of hardship, Thorin grew to be a strong and fearless fighter and revered leader. In his heart a fierce desire grew; a desire to reclaim his homeland and destroy the beast that had brought such misery upon his people. So when fate offers him an unusual ally, he seizes the chance for revenge.

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He looks great! I can definitely see the El Toro influence though after looking at all these dwarves. And actually, I see a Game of Thrones influence as well (it's hard to tone down Richard's sex appeal haha).

Glóin - that sounds about right. []

[ 07-17-2011, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am assuming here that these are the Dwarves at the battle of five armies rather than arriving at Bag End.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's the dwarves in what will be their regular costumes that they'll wear through the majority of the movies, I'm guessing.
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I approve of Fíli and Kíli [] Guys, these movies have to make money. People don't want to watch thirteen Gimlis. That's just how marketing works [] So I'm cool with making the two youngest look a little too elfish. Thorin looks effing amazing.

That said...I don't fancy people want to see thirteen guys with wacky hair either. WTF is UP with the FREAKING HAIR ON SOME OF THESE DUDES?!

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus, it would confuse people who saw LOTR, but never read Tolkien.
I see your point, those poor souls are confused enough already.

Thorin looks pretty good, thought he'd be older tho'.

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That said...I don't fancy people want to see thirteen guys with wacky hair either. WTF is UP with the FREAKING HAIR ON SOME OF THESE DUDES?!
[] Ney.
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I approve of Fíli and Kíli Guys, these movies have to make money. People don't want to watch thirteen Gimlis. That's just how marketing works So I'm cool with making the two youngest look a little too elfish. Thorin looks effing amazing.
First of all, these movies are going to make money, and lots of it, on name alone. Second of all, people expect the dwarves to look like dwarves, not elves or humans. People by now expect the dwarves to look ugly, and people like it.

quote:
That is marketing, and also to ensure that we don't see thirteen Gimlis.

I like a little originality, and I also like that this isn't our world, so we should expect lots of weirdness.

Everything is perfect for me so far, except for Kili. He just isn't ugly and weird enough. Boring.

[ 07-18-2011, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Snowman of Forochel ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Madomir:
quote:
How does labeling a ridiculous hair style as ridiculous make someone a hater?
By being a hater of ridiculous hairstyles, of course []

quote:
In this case, especially where it's sooo obvious, it only proves the person is conscious.
Not to mention having good taste and eyesight.
But enough bout hairstyles, what about the beards? These Dwarves are at least 100 years old each, they are born with their beards IIRC, and never never never shave; but some of them look to have a goatee at best. Can someone please tell me what's up with that? I'd think 100 years would do more than resemble Dr. House.

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And why do all the Dwarves wear black and dark brown? The book talks of brightly colored hoods, clothes, stockings, etc, but these pics make them look like a ZZ Top fan-club gone Goth.
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Archer:
quote:
Well duh, 33 = 19 in Hobbit years!" theory: never seen anything that resembled proof.
Especially considering that Bilbo is also 50 when they show him finding the Ring in the Fellowship movie, and he darn well looks it; and he's supposed to look the exact same age even when he's 111.
But here we're supposed to believe that he looks the same age in these photos. So much for consistency.
E: sorry I didn't see Archer beat me to it (GMTA) []

[ 07-20-2011, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, triple post... the edit quill is your friend!
[] []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sentarius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 525
posted      Profile for Sentarius   Email Sentarius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like Thorin should look a little older...
From: USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
and more "Dwarvish." He almost looks like a Klingon from Star Trek.

I also wonder if an attempt will be made to make the Lonely Mountain appear similar to the drawing of it on Thror's map.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
My apologies Athene, I didn't know the protocol here for responding to different members, sometimes it is confusing to compound several into a single post, but when in Numenor...
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like Thorin's deep set eyes - just right, I think.
From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the more I look at that pic the more Thorin looks way too mannish to me. There's really nothing dwarvish about him at all. His eyes, his nose is too small, heck his whole face is kinda narrow. It's as if PJ wanted him to be a dwarven Aragorn so he decided he should be younger and sort of ruggedly handsome. He looks like he should be fighting for Gondor with Faramir on the Pellenor Fields.

My hope that this movie would be more Tolkienish than the others is beginning to crumble.

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I still think he could look more "dwarvish" but to be honest I don't know what that would be. What are we basing our ideas of dwarves on? The animated series? Other fantasy series that feature dwarves? The first three films? Should they all look like Gimli?

I think it's okay to be different - and I think even in this era of fantasy movies, everything is very stylized because of the extreme advances in movie effects (even within just ten years). That's not always a bad thing but I rather miss models that had a homemade quality to them (such as in the first star wars films).

I know these costumes and looks were conceptualized well before the HBO Game of Thrones, but they all look like they could belong in Westeros easily. Game of Thrones certainly has that "stylized barbarian" look down pat. Also, eyeliner. Lots and lots of eyeliner (I blame Pirates of the Caribbean for that). []

[ 07-20-2011, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

quote:
He almost looks like a Klingon from Star Trek.
 -
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » First images of The Hobbit! (Page 5)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help