Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » First images of The Hobbit! (Page 4)
Author Topic: First images of The Hobbit!
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oy, again with the hair. Kili is far too thin, he looks like Frodo in a dwarf coat. At the risk of getting too picky, what the hell is that thing on his back.. a bow and arrow? Given that as a dwarf he's only 4 feet tall (a little more than a meter) that bow would be what... 12-15 inches? That's basically worthless as a weapon or for hunting, no power or accuracy. Can't be a crossbow 'cuz who would strap a crossbow sideways across their back? The whole thing makes no sense.

They should stick with a more Gimli-esque model. I didn't really care for Gimli's comic relief routine but I thought he certainly looked the part.

[ 07-13-2011, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dwarves with a little diversity? Perish the thought! []

Judging by Gimli's height compared to the humans in LotR, Thorin and Company are probably going to be standing closer to four-and-a-half feet than four feet even, and Kíli looks to be somewhat taller than average (compared to the dwarves we've seen so far, anyway), so let's say he's about 4'8". That's plenty tall enough to use a short, recurve bow (which is what Kíli's looks like) with a draw length of around 22", and considering dwarves are rather strong, Kíli would probably be able to handle a heavier draw weight than the average human. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Kíli, or any other dwarf of a suitable height, using a bow.

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The thing with crossbows is that Tolkien never mentioned them. I'm not sure why, since he certainly would have heard about them, but it's been causing a lot of headaches to purist game developers like the "Fourth Age Total War" team.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Kíli, or any other dwarf of a suitable height, using a bow.
Using a bow isn't the issue, they used bows in the book to shoot at deer, using that bow is laughable. It's a toy, it and those tiny arrows are far too small to have enough power or accuracy to do any damage whatsoever. It'd be like using a snubbed nosed revolver, if you don't have the barrel basically pressed against the target, you're gonna miss. They'd be better served throwing darts.

quote:
Dwarves with a little diversity? Perish the thought!
Diversity is fine... hairspray, not so much []

[ 07-13-2011, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
posted      Profile for Grimwulf Stormspear   Email Grimwulf Stormspear   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The first few pics look pretty good. [] The Dwarves are supposed to look, martial, medieval, alien, and slightly humorous. So far, so good.
From: The central lake-lands of the Great Peninsula. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur!

-
quote:
While most of the Company of Thorin Oakensheild is related to the royal and noble line of Durin, Bofur, his brother Bombur and their cousin Bifur most definitely are...not. Born and bred in the West, descendants of coal miners and iron workers, they have joined the Quest for the Lonely Mountain partly to seek their fortune and partly because they were told the beer was free.
EDIT: Finally found a high res pic. Click the thumbnail for a better look!

[ 07-14-2011, 05:22 AM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
These dwarves do look considerably different from the PJ LOTR ones. It strikes me as odd to think that they are from the same production team and director from not so long ago.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Keep in mind that Guillermo del Toro was also very involved in this project for a long time, and had just as much say in the design process as Peter Jackson had prior to his departure. I suspect a lot of his influences remain in these dwarves, and will likely be seen in other parts of the movies.
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Saw that on facebook and after reading:
quote:
Born and bred in the West...
The Fresh Prince song is stuck in my head. []

It will take a while to get used to seeing these versions.

From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

Sweet! Hillbilly dwarfs! Wonder which one plays the washboard at the Unexpexted Party []

I kinda like these guys []

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

They do look as if they'll be the comic relief of the group. At least Bofur and Bombur, anyway.
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Which one's Bombur [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the one of the left is the fattest, so... []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Balin and Dwalin!

-
quote:
Dwarf Lords in their own right, Balin and Dwalin are close relatives of Thorin. Beyond this, these brothers are two of his most loyal and trusted friends.

An old warrior, Balin has lived through hard times and fought many battles, yet he harbors doubts about the wisdom of the Quest to retake the Lonely Mountain.

Dwalin has no such forebodings – his belief in Thorin’s leadership is unshakeable. A powerful and bruising fighter, with a natural tendency to distrust anyone who is not a Dwarf, particularly anyone who might be an Elf, Dwalin is not someone to cross lightly.

Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dwalin looks like a BAMF. [] []
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Indeed he does. []

Balin looks older than I thought he'd be. He's supposed to be younger than Thorin, but from that pic of Martin Freeman as Bilbo (where we could see Thorin in the background), we know Thorin won't be all greybearded like Balin.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dwalin looks like he's dropped in from Mad Max!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have just seen photos of Fili and Kili. Apart from the fact that they look nothing like Gimli - and surely dwarves should have some similarities? - they look like scaled down elves/NPCs from RuneScape.

And Kili always does look better in hot pants. []

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fili and Kili are shown in this article, if nobody's posted them yet.

Let's see... Bofur, Bombur and Bifur all look like they belong in a cartoon (less said about that beard the better). Fili and Kili look wonderfully un-dwarf-like - I always did like them. Nori, Ori and Dori just look stupid - THE HAIR! Balin and Dwalin leave me speechless, but not in a good way. Oin and Gloin, when compared to the likes of Nori look fairly normal. But...

What happened to the dwarves of LotR? They looked, well, dwarfy...

Eeew, SSA! Dwarf in hotpants... [] [] []

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

As I said a few posts ago:
quote:
Keep in mind that Guillermo del Toro was also very involved in this project for a long time, and had just as much say in the design process as Peter Jackson had prior to his departure. I suspect a lot of his influences remain in these dwarves, and will likely be seen in other parts of the movies.
Also: huh, that's weird. The pic of Fíli and Kíli that I'd posted on page three is gone! [] Fixed. []

[ 07-16-2011, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they have some different colored cloaks to hang up on the hallway pegs in Bilbo's hobbit hole.

e: and will they bring their instruments, and what ever happened to them during their journey to the Lonely Mountain?

[ 07-16-2011, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You know pi- I was just going to say something similar... that's part of The Hobbit that I really love: Tolkien's description of their colorful hoods, cloaks, belts and tassels. And the instruments! Also the book is a wonderful mix of childhood fairytale and darkness... if the Dwarves turn up at Bag End dressed like that, then they will lose the a lot of the childhood fairytale part.

But, then again, maybe that is the plan... []

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Thingy
quote:
childhood fairytale
I do hope for a bit more of this quality to be carried over into the film(s), but I am not expecting it.
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

quote:
Dwarves turn up at Bag End dressed like that, then they will lose the a lot of the childhood fairytale part.
That's been a concern of mine as well, that the movie will end up significantly darker than the book. A scene like Bilbo talking to Smaug for instance, although Bilbo is speaking to a dragon that could squish him like a bug, there's still a certain playfulness to the scene in the book, but it's easy to imagine that being lost in the movie.

Is it just me or does Balin look a bit like a Christmas Elf?

Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but we can't be having a playful, childhood fairytale type Hobbit movie being made.

Since this is set in the same PJ LOTR universe, a movie like that would look stupid, and IMO, just wouldn't be as good. Plus, it would confuse people who saw LOTR, but never read Tolkien.

I'm sure there will be some light moments, like the first arrival of the dwarves, but most of this movie needs to be dark and scary, just like LOTR. No singing elves in this movie.

Anyway, I'm loving the looks of all the dwarves, starfish hair and all, except for Kili; he just looks too human.

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » First images of The Hobbit! (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help