Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Cast of The Hobbit announced (Page 2)
Author Topic: Cast of The Hobbit announced
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right, Varna! In fact, now that I come to think of it, perhaps the best sort of training would be for Mr Hambleton to undergo an intensive period of study observing someone like George Clooney. Or maybe Daniel Craig. Wait, I've got it: Colin Firth, as Mr Darcy. Because you know that scene which women are always going on about where Darcy strides out of the lake after a swim? Well that's exactly like me in real life, but I suppose Colin would be the right guy to teach someone how to fake it for the camera.

Okay, now I need both their numbers.

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's official, they saved New Zealand!

The Hobbit stays in NZ

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Sonofabitch I'm sick of these dolphins." ~Steve Zissou

From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait, I've got it: Colin Firth, as Mr Darcy. Because you know that scene which women are always going on about where Darcy strides out of the lake after a swim? Well that's exactly like me in real life, but I suppose Colin would be the right guy to teach someone how to fake it for the camera.
That's a great idea. I don't know the scene, I'm afraid, I've bought the DVD, but I haven't had time to watch it yet - nor have I ever met you - but I'm sure that when I see it, I will recognize my idea of you immediately []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Two more casting announcements have been made, and both are additions to Thorin and Company:

James Nesbitt - Bofur
 -

Adam Brown - Ori
 -

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of Adam Brown, but he looks more hobbit-ish to me. Coulda been a Pippin I'm thinkin'.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm excited. I wonder how they're going to hollywood it up, though....perhaps Gloin will have a love interest...if you approve, of course. []
Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
posted      Profile for The White Hand   Email The White Hand   Edit/Delete Post 
Gimli was born before the Hobbit IIRC, so I'd think his wife was back with the other Dwarf-women in Belegost or the Iron Hills. Tolkien also expressly stated that Dwarf-women didn't travel much, to the point that only one is specifically named: and it ain't Mrs. Gloin.
But then what am I saying, this is Peter Jackson we're talking about: and since when did facts or context ever bother him, if he could say he's "technically correct" ala Bill Clinton?

From: Memphis | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Durthdil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3873
posted      Profile for Durthdil   Email Durthdil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And Galadriel!

I believe she will be participating in what Jango states in a couple of posts, that there will be scenes taken from the appendices of the Lord of the Rings.

If not, well, we will see! []

From: Europe | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
perhaps Gloin will have a love interest...if you approve, of course. []
I'm going to be lobbying for a love-triangle.

No, a tetrahedron.

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
posted      Profile for The White Hand   Email The White Hand   Edit/Delete Post 
How about a plane?
As in "air-sickness bag," because if they go like before we're gonna need lots.

From: Memphis | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
^ Grow up. []

In addition to Cate Blanchett returning as Galadriel, Sylvester McCoy has been officially confirmed to be playing Radagast the Brown, and the characters of Balin, Beorn, Nori, Bifur, and Drogo Baggins have all been cast.

Cate Blanchett - Galadriel
 -

Ken Stott - Balin
 -

Mikael Persbrandt - Beorn
 -

Jed Brophy* - Nori
 -

William Kircher - Bifur
 -

Ryan Gage - Drogo Baggins
 -

I also updated my original cast post on the first page with a better image of Richard Armitage (Thorin). In addition, TOR.n now has an image of John Callen (Óin) on their website:

John Callen - Óin
 -

*Jed Brophy also played the roles of Sharku and Snaga in the LOTR movies.

[ 12-08-2010, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
I don't see the point; except for Thorin, the Dwarves are flat enough that they could be played by anybody; are these particularly talented actors with great screen-presence? I think that was initial failing of the first movies, i.e. they failed to put people first, things second, and so it looked great but smelled awful: the acting is painful and embarassing to watch so you have to focus on the scenery, sets and the battle-scenes.
TH can redeem this if they get some great actors and synergy going among them, however neither of these cooks ever made a good broth of those ingredients, just table-dressing.
Any good producer knows that a great actor can make almost any film look good, and vice-versa; think about any classic film, and it's obvious that a good story requirs a good actor to make it fly, while every flop proves that a bad one can make it sink.

Another problem is with Galadriel, i.e. Cate Blanchett is going to be more than 10 years older than in Fellowship, but Galadriel is supposed to be about 80 years younger. Already it starts with the flattening of the story.

quote:
Jed Brophy also played the roles of Sharku and Snaga in the LOTR movies.
Sharku? Funny, that means "old man" in orcish; typical random mis-use of original text and dialogue.

[ 12-09-2010, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: The White Hand ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Galadriel is supposed to be about 80 years younger.
Which doesn't make any difference at all, since it's such a tiny percentage of her total lifespan.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Less than 1%, to be precise.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
Par for the anti-hero course. When I read about Galadriel, I don't see a description of Cate Blanchett at any age; but that goes for the rest of the characters. I've made that analysis in another thread, though: i.e. Jackson wants to take a classic story and make it mundane to lower it to his level, then claim he's not.
Oh, did you hear he just bought a $50 million private jet?
Cigarette?
P.S. Elves don't have a "lifespan," they're bound to the world forever, permanently; incarnate or not, they cannot die, and so naturally they question Men's fear Eru's gift. The Silm says that an Elf might become weary of "ten thousand centuries" (one million years), but we never hear of an Elf expiring from old age. Ever.

[ 12-09-2010, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: The White Hand ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

By her 'lifespan' I simply meant the length of her life at that time - as a non-native speaker I picked the wrong word for what I meant.

As you're saying yourself, she will live till the end of Arda - which is why I'm saying that 80 years more or less doesn't make any difference to her appearance.

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thats not a problem, V. We all know what an elvish "lifespan" is, so we also knew what you meant. Your English is perfect!
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
No, a lifespan is how long the person's life is-- not their relative stage in it. Language and literacy is the #1 cause for misinterpretation of Tolkien's complex narrative, leading to more mistakes, exaggerations and caricatures, which then become fixed by first-impression error.
For example, Galadriel was an impossibly gorgeous 6'4" athletic supermodel who could single-handedly dominate the world in fashion-modelling and women's basketball, if she wasn't too queenly and gracious as well. Now tell me, does that summon the image of Cate Blanchette to you? It did with Jackson. Can't he read, or doesn't he care?

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How many languages do you speak fluently?
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

'The Hobbit' Is Making Room for Some 'Lord of the Rings' Characters

excerpt:
quote:
The Hollywood Reporter revealed on Tuesday that Blanchett would once again be Galadriel; then a day later Deadline reported that Bloom is close to a deal to return to play Legolas. What neither story discussed is that Jackson is apparently writing the characters into the story of "The Hobbit": Galadriel is mentioned in other Tolkien works but doesn't appear in "The Hobbit," and as for Legolas, he first shows up in "The Fellowship of the Ring." And according to Deadline's story about the Bloom casting news, Legolas will be more than a walk-on role. Likewise, considering how gushing Jackson was in announcing Blanchett's involvement, calling her "one of my favorite actors to work with," it seems like she might be doing more than a cameo as well.
[]
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
Sounds like a train-wreck about to happen, wake me up when it's over.. []
Jackson's D&D "Elf-philia" expressed in LotR, looks about to open up a repeat-performance, as Legolas Prince of Persia (oops, Mirkwood) is going to pull out the stops once again on Evlish special-abilities.
Fact: In LotR, Legolas implies to Gimli he hates caves, and would avoid them at any cost; so why would he be live in Thranduil's? Not for safety; he slept on braches, for god's sake.
I can see him being head of the force that captures the Dwarves; for example Gloin says to Legolas "you were less gentle with me," it sounds like he was talking about Legolas capturing him; but that's all, and that is a walk-on part. We see what happens when Jackass expands Elves' roles becsuse of this D&D fanbois-wanking, and that's a bad feeling right there.

[ 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: The White Hand ]

The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
And what about Christopher Lee as Saruman, Hugo Weaving as Elrond etc? I know they haven't agreed to it yet, but have they been asked? The raid on Dol Goldur only happened because of Gandalf's insistance against Saruman's resistance, to the other three (i.e. Elrond, Rhadagast and Galdriel).
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
No, a lifespan is how long the person's life is-- not their relative stage in it.
That's it, and therefore we don't know exactly how long the lifespan is of someone who is still alive. 80 years was a small percentage of Galadriel's life at that time, and there's no way to work out what much smaller percentage it would be of her lifespan.

Elves do have a lifespan, they will not live forever.
We don't know how long that lifespan is, because they will live as long as Arda lasts, and of course we don't know how long that is (some suggest until 2012, but I don't agree [] ) - but it is not forever.

(Whether they have an after-life is what Finrod speculates about in the Athrabeth.)

The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
No, Elves do live forever, whether in the Halls of Mandos or out of them it's all the same. Even at the end, they will return for the Second Music of the Ainur, as Galadriel tells Treebeard that they'll meet again.

Likewise, "forever" generally means "as long as the world," for all practical purposes.

Finally, "lifespan" means expected life, not age at death; and again, Elves don't have one, it's known that they can't die. Ever, AFAIK.

As for how long Arda lasts: well it's still here in Phase I, as far as that goes, so technically the Elves would still be there in Aman until Arda 2.0 comes out.

[ 12-11-2010, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: The White Hand ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But with most rules there are exceptions. What about Finwe? Isn't he an example of an Elf whose spirit has departed and isn't coming back?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Cast of The Hobbit announced (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help