Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Cast of The Hobbit announced (Page 1)
Author Topic: Cast of The Hobbit announced
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Martin Freeman confirmed as Bilbo Baggins. Richard Armitage will play Thorin Oakenshield.

Sounds like a solid cast.

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know any of them... can someone provide us with pics?
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
These are from TheOneRing.net's article on the cast:

Martin Freeman - Bilbo Baggins
 -

Richard Armitage - Thorin Oakenshield
 -

Aidan Turner - Kíli
 -

Rob Kazinsky - Fíli
 -

Graham McTavish - Dwalin
 -

Stephen Hunter - Bombur
 -

Mark Hadlow - Dori
 -

Peter Hambleton - Glóin
 -

It seems John Callen (Óin) is primarily a voice actor, and TOR.n doesn't have an image for him. It also seems they're still looking for Balin, Bifur, Bofur, Ori, and Nori, as no actors for those roles have been announced yet.

Richard Armitage isn't exactly how I pictured Thorin (he looks more like a Bard, to me), but he's a good actor, and I'm sure he'll look a lot different in that Dwarven makeup.

Also, apparently speculation is casting Bill Nighy as the voice of Smaug. I'm not sure I like that idea. I like Bill Nighy, but his voice doesn't really sound like Smaug to me.

[ 12-08-2010, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I never thought I'd have the hots for Thorin, but wow...Kili too. I know they'll probably look way different under make-up, but those headshots []

Very very happy with Bilbo's casting. I had been on the James McAvoy train, but this guy is more suitable.

[ 10-22-2010, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wait... I do know Freeman (from Hitchhiker's Guide...) and Armitage from somewhere. Armitage would make a good Elrond if you ask me, though perhaps not with that look on his face... too smouldering ^^

All in all, looks like a good cast.

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So here's our burglar and our set of Dwarves (or part of it)?

Doesn't seem like a bad choice ...

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I approve!
From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Some more (and, in some cases, better) pictures of the cast so far, this time from AICN:

Martin Freeman - Bilbo Baggins
 -

Richard Armitage - Thorin Oakenshield
 -

Aidan Turner - Kíli
 -

Rob Kazinsky - Fíli
 -

Stephen Hunter - Bombur
 -

Mark Hadlow - Dori
 -

Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
posted      Profile for Eonwe The Herald   Email Eonwe The Herald   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty pleased with this. Stephen Hunter as Bombur looks to be an amazing choice.
From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good. Now if only we could get PJ to more closely follow the book and not go overboard with the action scenes.

Assuming they are in the movie, I wonder if they will CGI the Trolls or get actors for them? I am also curious if PJ will make them appear more like humans, or more like the LOTR trolls... Somehow names like Tom, Bert and Bill do not fit with LOTR trolls.

Is Ian McKellen still playing Gandalf, and has anyone heard if Hugo Weaving returns as Elrond?

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It'll sure be interesting to see a 195 year old midget being played by a 6' 2" 39 year old pretty boy! []
Martin Freeman could be an inspired choice though [] []

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

quote:
Assuming they are in the movie, I wonder if they will CGI the Trolls or get actors for them? I am also curious if PJ will make them appear more like humans, or more like the LOTR trolls... Somehow names like Tom, Bert and Bill do not fit with LOTR trolls.
They'll probably do what they did with Gollum, have the actors perform motion capture and then use CGI to create the trolls themselves. I doubt they'll have the trolls use their names, though.
quote:
Is Ian McKellen still playing Gandalf, and has anyone heard if Hugo Weaving returns as Elrond?
IIRC, Ian McKellen and Hugo Weaving already agreed to come back for their respective roles, and I'm pretty sure Andy Serkis has also already agreed to return as Gollum. I could be wrong, though.
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To me Turner and Kazinsky are a bit too pretty-looking to act as Dwarves. They'll need some extra make-up []
Hadlow looks the most dwarfish of them all to me, but maybe he's a bit too old in relation to the others? Dori is regarded as the strongest (that's why he had to carry Bilbo), so I assume he's also one of the youngest.

~ Ear.

[ 10-24-2010, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Earendilyon ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My advice is my usual advice: Put the book out of your mind when you go into the theatre. Whatever you do DO NOT have a "Well, time to re-read "The Hobbit" in preparation for the movie!" session.

Yeah, Andy is gonna be Gollum.

They might be going with a "pretty up the younger dwarves a bit" angle. It is asking a lot of an audience in this day and age to watch a movie populated almost entirely by guys who look like Gimli. Just sayin'. *mutters about them kids with their iPods and kissing vampire movies*

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Dwarves don't have to be ugly, and Turner and Kazinsky's faces will more than likely have good, thick beards covering them, just like the others. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to make Kíli and Fíli the boisterous comic relief of the group.

More casting news: Sylvester McCoy (Doctor Who) is Radagast the Brown.

However, while he has been cast, McCoy has yet to officially sign any contracts. McCoy was in the running to play Bilbo in LOTR, but he lost the role to Ian Holm.

Sylvester McCoy - Radagast the Brown
 -

[ 10-24-2010, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Always makes me smile when the pretty boys bust out the oh so convincing "I'm an intense tough guy" head shots []
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, personally speaking, I do hope that PJ will at least keep to the spirit of the Hobbit in the Hobbit parts of the films. I mean, that can't be too hard to keep close to the text, can it? But if he wants to make stuff up and go on flights of fancy, that would be what his little Fanfiction film would be for!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Yeah, I'm sure it was all his idea to make two movies, and not the studio's. No offense to the purists, but if the final books of Harry Potter and (especially) freaking Twilight are getting split into two movies each, I think it's only fair we get two movies based on a much more deserving book.
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fine with split movies because, afterall, it's not JUST The Hobbit we're getting. We're also getting the LotR appendices mixed in to fill the narrative gaps. So no, it won't be a verbatim interpretation of the book, but we can hope it will be true to both works.
From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
posted      Profile for Eonwe The Herald   Email Eonwe The Herald   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
More casting news: Sylvester McCoy (Doctor Who) is Radagast the Brown.
I always imagined Liam Neeson playing Radagast the Brown, though I have no idea why haha.
From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So what is Radagast the Brown going to do in this movie?
He would be in the in-between-scenes, wouldn't he, as he doesn't appear in The Hobbit (the book - I guess he wasn't invented yet)?

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have a contact address for this Hambleton guy? I need to send him a message to make sure he knows what he's getting himself into, because I'll be watching this performance very closely and he'd better do a respectful job of it.

It's not that I'm vain or anything. Anyone would feel anxious if they were about to be portrayed in a big film like that. So all I'm saying is that legal action isn't entirely out of the question.

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Perhaps he ought to spend some time with you, to learn your manner of moving, of speaking, etc.

Isn't that what actors do when they are about to portray live people?

Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

[]
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

I just hope they pronounce his name right this time.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Cast of The Hobbit announced (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help