Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Two Towers Movie Plot Error I noticed
Author Topic: Two Towers Movie Plot Error I noticed
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, last time I watched the Two Towers, I noticed that two parts of the story don't correlate.

Near the beginning, when Grishnak and Ugluk met up, Grishnak says, "Our Master grows impatient. He wants the Shire rats now!"

But then, during the night camp scene, Ugluk says, "Saruman wants them alive, and unspoiled."
Grisnak replies, "Alive? What for? Do they make good sport?"

Two major things I find wrong. First, Grishnak makes it clear that Sauron wants the hobbits and demands to take them. But, nearly 20 minutes later, he acts as if he was never given that order.

Secondly, he acts as if he has no idea why they should remain alive, and wants to eat them. But, clearly, if Sauron ordered him to bring them back alive, he shouldn't be questioning and trying to eat them. Although, even in the book Grishnak tries to make off with the hobbits, but not eat them.

I just tink it rather odd that this would happen. Obviously a plot error in the movie.

[ 07-07-2009, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Captain of Gondor ]

From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, last time I watched the Two Towers, I noticed that two parts of the story don't correlate.

The last time I watched that movie was a very long time ago. I was very disappointed when I found out that they edited the DVD version so that I couldn't watch Legolas the stumbling elf.

I don't know if I've ever actually watched the entire DVD version.

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithcoriel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11257
posted      Profile for Mithcoriel   Email Mithcoriel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tuor: pardon me for asking, but where does Legolas stumble, what are you talking about?
Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

It was in the original movie release. You had to see it in the theater. I looked for it on the DVD, but they fixed it. []

It was in the part where they show Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas chasing down the Orcs.

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You're angry ( " [] " ) that they detected a boo-boo and fixed it for the DVD?
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

Yes! That was the best part of the movie for me. I laughed out loud in the movie theater, the only one laughing. But I loved it! It was a perfect example of the kind of movie PJ created.

We bought all the director's editions for the movies and we never watch them. The Narnia movies get played from time to time, but not PJ's flicks. Just goes to show how my family judges PJ's work.

Really, a skull land slide? Really?

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tuor, you have to realize that PJ played too many video games as a kid. And watched too many bad movies.
He isn't a bad movie maker by default but he just proved too childish to direct an adaptation of a classic. All this "jump&run" crap as well as skull avalanches look disturbingly familiar to someone who's come into contact with video games or animated Disney crap.

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
True dat. [] Hence my fear for the plot of The Hobbit movie. []
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The lack of credit you give him makes me sad [] Have you seen "The Lovely Bones" and "Heavenly Creatures"? Disliking the LotR movies is fine, not everyone is gonna like them (we watch them WAY more often than Narnia, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, and even Star Wars in my house, and would watch them even more if my sister didn't throw fits whenever we turn them on). But dissing his directing skills is kinda mean, imho.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

Sister has taste. []
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, I just don't think his deviations from the book added to the movie in a positive way, nor do I think he is practiced in the art of subtlety when it comes to scene direction - it's all rather over-the-top.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Lovely Bones was a messy adaptation that tanked at the box office. I really wouldn't tout that work if you want to demonstrate PJ's credentials. [] He took away much of the subtlety the book may have had, and unfortunately committed a lot of the same errors he did for LotR. Even many of those who had never read the book did not find this film too inspirational.

Heavenly Creatures works because it is an over-the-top story about an over-the-top crime committed by two very over-the-top, troubled girls. It's often snarky, dark humor works pretty effectively to tell the story, and is just the kind of material PJ needs: shocking and sensational.

On the other hand, Tolkien's complex subtlety of character and tone is just something he cannot handle, and turns it into something altogether very different. So we end up with a Middle-Earth action-adventure soap opera with characters painted in primary colors who sadly don't resemble anything of their original selves. And being that the LotR (and The Hobbit) is such a masterful myth originally, we all lose a little something by believing PJ's ME honors its original spirit, or brings anything unique and meaningful to viewers, other than "fun" tofu entertainment.

These films really need to be handled by someone with actual understanding of the beautiful depth and ultimate tragedy of Tolkien's stories. Sadly, it's not going to happen. We will merely be treated to more of zombie-fanboy PJ's obvious, video game ME. []

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And yet another LotR video game is released this year: Aragorn's Quest. In addition to Electronic Arts, Warner Brothers is now making money off of PJ's video game movie franchise.

Wikipedia describes the gameplay: "Gameplay consists mostly of sword fighting, as well as horse-mounted combat."

Kind of like the movies.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Two Towers Movie Plot Error I noticed
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help