Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » They're back! LotR writing team joins The Hobbit (Page 3)
Author Topic: They're back! LotR writing team joins The Hobbit
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not suggesting PJ will do a good job... just perhaps less bad. []

Movie 2 however will likely be a disaster.

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
Again, it's a prequel; the fact that TH was from earlier in Tolkien's legendarium, doesn't remove any of the later material from being used to "interpret" everything else.
From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so expect Thranduil to become Lucius Malfoy.
Actually, that's a distinct possibility as long as PJ is in charge. You know, Jason Isaacs who played Mr Malfoy is blonde and looks like some mean English or French nobleman, so for Peter Jackson he will be the perfect Elf. And given how Jackson's glorious team changed Denethor et al...
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
Well Thranduil is meaner than Elrond, so Lucius Malfoy would be perfect in PJ's version.
From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Again, it's a prequel; the fact that TH was from earlier in Tolkien's legendarium, doesn't remove any of the later material from being used to "interpret" everything else.
[] Yeah, I get it, again, so what? Obviously he can basically do whatever he wants and he has plenty of material to use if he chooses. We all know that. It's my opinion that because The Hobbit is a complete story on it's own PJ's use of outside material may be curtailed, why is that so difficult to comprehend? He doesn't necessarily have to tie it together in the first movie, as long as he has the 2nd Hobbit film he can tie it all together there.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PJ's use of outside material may be curtailed
The songs "Dreamer" by Supertramp and "Imagine" by John Lennon come to mind. []
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
I think "Dream On" by Aerosmith is more appropo. []
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

[] You guys are brutal! Look I'm not predicting that PJ and friends will make a movie the represents Tolkien's vision wonderfully. All I'm saying is that due to the nature of the story, I think the chance that the movie won't suck has raised from the 10% chance LotR had, to perhaps 20-25%.
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My feeling is there are two key reasons PJ's Hobbit will be "better" than his LotR, and both are based on our expectations. One, even purists realize the story is a less complex kid's story and so the expectation of an epic of high literature doesn't exist, or at least not as strongly. Two, we know the kind of Tolkien movie PJ makes and our expectations are considerably lower than they were leading up to LotR.

LotR was like expecting your football team to win the division or at least make the playoffs and then they finished in last place or close to it.

PJ's Hobbit is like expecting your football team to finish last or near-last. If they manage to go .500 then you feel pretty good about things.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
I'm just confused as to what makes you think that the story will be isolated to itself, particularly with the back-story of Sauron being expelled from Dol Goldur, Also the LotR movies did set many precedents, such as the ineptness of Dwarves, the harshness of Elrond and the Elves, and the Three Trolls were likewise shown nothing like Tolkien drew them, and trolls couldn't talk. Finally the instant corrupting-power of the Ring (which would also make it difficult to explain how Bilbo could spare Gollum out of pity, if it supposedly drove two innocent cousins to murder each other at the mere sight of it).
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PJ's Hobbit is like expecting your football team to finish last or near-last. If they manage to go .500 then you feel pretty good about things
So it's like the Chicago Cubs? Any Cubbie fans out there?
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

quote:
I'm just confused
Ok Sarah, I think I found the source of your confusion..

I wrote..
quote:
because The Hobbit is a complete story on it's own PJ's use of outside material may be curtailed
But you read...
quote:
you think that the story will be isolated to itself
My statement is rather moderate, yet you insist on viewing it as an extreme, no wonder you're confused. []
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
The phrase "you think" is also moderate rather than absolute, ala "you're absolutely sure." No confusion there... other than with your precedent for thinking it won't change, given PJ's track-record for embellishment. If he can make a wussy-pipped monkey out of King Kong, and Jack Black into an action-hero unrelated to comedy, imagine what he can do with a 3-foot tall Hobbit (or worse: to a 3-foot tall hobbit!) To begin with, he thinks he is a hobbit, just because he's short and stumpy: so he doesn't even know that hobbits don't wear beards and glasses... or even shoes. They also don't undergo Oprah-esque shifts in weight (when they have a choice) []

[ 03-24-2009, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: Sarah the Good Witch ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, production will finally begin on the Hobbit on the 21st!
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Um, yay?
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » They're back! LotR writing team joins The Hobbit (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help