Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » They're back! LotR writing team joins The Hobbit (Page 2)
Author Topic: They're back! LotR writing team joins The Hobbit
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And since it's been done before, they'll no doubt want to follow suit and make them Armored Bears.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Care Bear Cavalry! Just to appeal to the widest possible range of demographic.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DPR: They'll waste many minutes of precious film-time on such things and then explain that there simply wasn't enough time to include Beorn or Rivendell in the film.
I bet Rivendell will be there all right. That will be the place where they pick up Arwen the warrior babe. []
From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Such pessimism! I personally bet that the film will be a good one. It won't please the hardcore fan(atic)s, but will be a decent film. As long as it captures the spirit of The Hobbit, this will be a success.
From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
PJ a-capturing the spirit of The Hobbit

-

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seconding that! []
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Great news!

These films are going to appeal to the massive amounts of unwashed masses again, and rake in millions upon millions!

Who cares if a small pocket of washed, nice smelling, and intellectually superior masses don't like it? [] [] []

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aina Moja
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1962

posted      Profile for Aina Moja   Author's Homepage   Email Aina Moja   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I didn't realize that so many MTers were opposed to PJ et. al/Del Toro doing The Hobbit. *Shrugs* I'm excited. I enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth, and I think that Del Toro will definitely have a different take on the story. Which, I believe, is only fitting considering that The Hobbit and LOTR kind of have that Old Testament/New Testament thing going on.
From: The Back of A Camel | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nimruzir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 248

posted      Profile for Nimruzir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to the movies here!
From: Den of Iniquity | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We all thought Del Toro might have a different take on the story until he told everyone that he didn't. We're going to get PJ and Phillipa Boyens' take on the story. It really doesn't matter who's directing.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To a lot of people, that's not a bad thing.

Sorry it's not your cup of tea.

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I am going to hold off on an opinion until I see more evidence of what they will be doing.
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
There have been plenty of articles and interviews. We're very likely to get more of the same. If you liked the LotR movies, you'll almost certainly like The Hobbit movies. If you didn't, there's a strong chance you won't like the new movies, either.

There's very little mystery here. It isn't a secretive production.

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's pretty accurate. Though maybe someone who hated the trilogy can come into The Hobbit with really low expectations, block the book from their minds, and actually enjoy themself?
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

You're a very wise little Hobbit. []
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Zen! []
From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Since it was originally conceived as a children's tale I think The Hobbit is a better fit for PJ's superficial style than LotR is. The Hobbit simply isn't as deep as the trilogy, it wasn't meant to be. Each chapter is a new adventure which causes the story to move quicker, which I hope will cause PJ to insert fewer "improvements". I'm more worried that the feel of the movie will be too dark.

As for the 2nd movie.. well that's a potential horror show for purists. PJ et al will have carte blanche to structure things as he wishes as long as a few key moments are shown. It could really be a mess.

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since it was originally conceived as a children's tale I think The Hobbit is a better fit for PJ's superficial style than LotR is.
What about his penchant for dark movies?
From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As I wrote...
quote:
I'm more worried that the feel of the movie will be too dark.
The existance of trolls, orcs and a dragon provide PJ with ample opportunity to darken the movie if he wishes, which is more or less what I expect.

When I said the Hobbit may be a better fit for PJ, I was refering primarily to it being less involved than the trilogy and the resulting quicker pace of the story. PJ has already shown he struggles with deeper material and that he can't resist the urge to insert 'improvements' where he believes he sees a slow moment.

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
I realize that: however I think TH was differentiated from LotR by a lighter tone, more than a shallower message. So the "improvements" will be anything but, while the message will be missed as well.

[ 03-20-2009, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Sarah the Good Witch ]

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

quote:
however I think TH was differentiated from LotR by a lighter tone, more than a shallower message.
Agreed. [] I don't think I'm expressing myself very goodly []

When I said LotR is deeper, I wasn't referring to the message so much as the narrative itself. The Hobbit is told as a story unto itself, in the present as it were, primarily thru one set of eyes. Whereas LotR has a lot of history behind it, it goes back thousands of years to the Last Alliance and beyond, and is seen thru many characters. It would seem that the format of the Hobbit, without all the back story considerations and the varying perspectives, would make it easier to put on the big screen.

Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
Ok, got it: you're saying that there's less complex detail to distort? But while TH was written before the rest, the movie is being produced as a prequel to the LotR movies (think "Star Wars"), so all the rest attaches: and they do want to connect the two stories. And we know that they'll be taking liberties to do it, since there was less specificity.
(Yikes! Perhaps in the Silmarillion prequel, we'll see Sauron re-written as Annatar, a young Maia-apprentice to Olo-rin, who was corrupted to the Dark Side of the Void by Melkor/Morgoth, and made hideous by their final battle together when Gandalf knocks him into Mount Doom, causing him to swear revenge?)
I know, I shouldn't be pessimistic... or give them any ideas!

[ 03-20-2009, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Sarah the Good Witch ]

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

quote:
Ok, got it: you're saying that there's less complex detail to distort?
Yup. And with the faster paced story hopefully PJ's ADHD will be sated and we'll be spared another avalanche of skulls. []

Complex is the word I should have been using all along rather than deep []

quote:
and they do want to connect the two stories. And we know that they'll be taking liberties to do it, since there was less specificity.
My impression is that the 1st movie will basically be The Hobbit as we know it. The 2nd movie would then be used to tie it all together. That's why the 2nd movie is likely to be a mess, there's too much room there for PJ to move around and create. []

[ 03-20-2009, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
But again it's a preqel, not a prelude: and I'll leave it at that. They already turned Elrond into Agent Smith, so expect Thranduil to become Lucius Malfoy.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » They're back! LotR writing team joins The Hobbit (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help