Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » They're back! LotR writing team joins The Hobbit (Page 1)
Author Topic: They're back! LotR writing team joins The Hobbit
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can safely say a lot of MTers won't be happy with this development. []

quote:
Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens join Guillermo Del Toro penning The Hobbit
Aug 19, 2008, 01:48 PM | by Nicole Sperling

It's now official: The Lord of the Rings screenwriting team of Peter Jackson (pictured), Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens will join The Hobbit director Guillermo del Toro to pen the screenplay for the two planned Hobbit movies. Sources tell EW.com that the scribes' deals are all complete and they have already begun writing. (With shooting scheduled to begin Fall 2009, at the earliest, in New Zealand, the quartet better get busy!) The Hobbit will center on Frodo's uncle, Bilbo Baggins, and his initial discovery of the immensely-powerful ring. New Line and MGM plan to release the two films Christmas 2011 and Christmas 2012.

[ 08-20-2008, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, I thought that was official for a long time. Oh well, good to see it's OFFICIAL official. I can rest easy now.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite the reaction I was expecting []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thornclad
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3128
posted      Profile for Thornclad   Email Thornclad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear. Well I still have high hopes for the film. Hopefully the writers don't decide to change too much for no good reason.
From: Berkshire | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fuuuuuuuuuudge
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cornelius?

Or the sticky kind?

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You had me until "Philippa Boyens." Why couldn't they have dropped her into Mount Doom along with the One Ring? []
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you watch the interviews with her on the LotR DVDs you can't help but notice her passion and love of the source material and of making the best most enjoyable movies out of it.

[ 08-21-2008, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.
[]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, am jumping for joy at the inclusion of Philippa Boyens.
From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, would jump for joy all over Philippa Boyens if it would stop her inclusion! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm worried.... I was really pleased that Guillermo was given the job to direct it, but now I'm afraid it will be turned into another action adventure blockbuster. I'd like it to keep it's fairy-tale charm. The Hobbit is completely different from the trilogy and should remain so in it's adaptation. Obviously, I know things will be cut out, but... please no obligatory romance. PLEASE??? [] I'm hoping that Guillermo will maintain his aesthetic, regardless of screenplay additions. []
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm hoping that Guillermo will maintain his aesthetic, regardless of screenplay additions.
This is the one thing I'm not hoping. I'd rather this be another PJ-fest than be like "Hellboy." []

Not a fan of del Toro, not even the much over-rated "Pan's Labyrinth."

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like it to keep it's fairy-tale charm. The Hobbit is completely different from the trilogy and should remain so in it's adaptation.
Ack. I don't think it's going to happen if PJ has his way, as it doesn't appear that he likes the whimsical or fairy-tale nature of The Hobbit and clearly wants to turn it into another LOTR. Supposedly he said. . .

quote:
One of the problems with The Hobbit is that it is a fairly simple kids story, and doesn't really feel like The Lord of the Rings. Tonally I mean. It's always may be [sic?] a little worried, but with two films that kinda gets easier. It allows for more complexity. . . . It could be cool. That way, it starts feeling more like The Lord of the Rings and less like this kids book.
from this link

So yah, it's not likely to happen if this is how he feels.

And maybe it's just me, but the tone of The Hobbit's text has always seemed somewhat more sophisticated and complex than the LOTR films, which come across as fairly simple and sensational, with everything in them very black and white and over-the-top. The statement above just seems ironic.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I knew fairy tale was the wrong word to describe it... I meant... there's something more universally pleasing to the Hobbit than the trilogy. Don't get me wrong, I love the trilogy for sure, but the Hobbit is almost more... imaginative.... playful, perhaps. But not just a "kids' story" as in, it's childish or immature. Ehh I don't know how to describe it. []

*sighs after reading the PJ quotation* []

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Hobbit is simplier to film than Lotr, not so many different story strands, so it should be fairly straightforward. Perhaps they'll turn Bard into a Princess rather than a King. Call her Barwen! []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have no optimism about this project at all. They seem to be doing exactly what I feared they'd do. []
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thangail
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1292

posted      Profile for Thangail   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was a time of Darkness. A time of War. A time of Heroes. Only one Hobbit could stand between the Nazis and the fre.. oh, hang on.

From: Capital City | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Hobbit is a classic "hero's journey", written before it was identified as a story construct by Campbell and denigrated by Hollywood formulaic movie product.

The Wingnut Trio will no doubt succeed in keeping it well within the Hollywood order of business.

Act I: Bilbo owes someone a lot of money, which is why he joins the Dwarves for a share of the treasure. But the goblins, tipped off by some mean men of Bree are in pursuit. The goblins nearly catch them, but Gandalf and the Dwarves kick their asses in a 15 min swordfight.

Act II: Journey on the road, encounter with the trolls; turning point comes when Bilbo encounters Gollum (long fist fight here) and gets the ring. Another big fight in the Goblin lair as the Dwarves fight their way out. Battle under the trees vs. more goblins and spiders. Capture by corrupt "Dark Elves" who torture Thorin and company. Bilbo left on his own.

Act III: Bilbo and Gandalf rescue the dwarves, and the party heads to the Mountain. Battle of the Five Armies, with Smaug actually still alive and fighting alongside the Goblins (and what the hell, the Neuromancer, too, who is shown to be the man Bilbo owes money to). Battle is 20 minutes, followed by a 10 minute epilogue were Bilbo learns that not all is gilded is gold. Bla bla bla bla.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I'm looking so forward to Gandalf taking out Smaug in an epic battle. I bet he will ride on an eagle and stick Glamdring in the creature's eye. Then Sauron comes to the rescue and kicks some more ass, before Aragorn pushes him into the volcano.

-

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter_20
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6368
posted      Profile for Peter_20   Email Peter_20   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt they will speed up the movie to the point of insanity, and completely leave out parts for no real reason, only to include t3h swordfights that must be present.
Like this:

Bilbo meets Gandalf, and Gandalf follows inside, without scratching any sign whatsoever.
A Dwarf magically appears the next morning, and the party is over surprisingly fast.
They walk for three seconds, and then discover the trolls.
Battle forever, with lots of sorcery from Gandalf.

Oh my god, goblins appear!
Let's kill them, because otherwise the audience will get bored.
They never visit Beorn at all, but they DO magically get new provisions and equipment and so on.
Then they wander for a little while in Mirkwood, get captured by GOBLINS, because Elves are supposed to be all cutesy and singing and clapping.
Oh well.
They are caught in a goblin cave, fight their way out, and head over to the Lonely Mountain very fast.

...and so on, wouldn't surprise me in the least. -.-

[ 09-03-2008, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Peter_20 ]

From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bilbo meets Gandalf, and Gandalf follows inside, without scratching any sign whatsoever.
A Dwarf magically appears the next morning, and the party is over surprisingly fast.
They walk for three seconds, and then discover the trolls.
Battle forever, with lots of sorcery from Gandalf.

Exactly. [] []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, except for the 'walk for three seconds' part. They'll walk and walk and walk with panoramic helicopter flyovers and swelling music. They'll waste many minutes of precious film-time on such things and then explain that there simply wasn't enough time to include Beorn or Rivendell in the film.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, forget Rivendell. Beorn will be in the film though. But he will be called Arathorn. And he will ride on a bear in the middle of the Battle of Five Armies, where he will perish, but his young son Aragorn will take up the mantle, blah blah blah... []

I also read that it will made into 2 movies. []

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thangail
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1292

posted      Profile for Thangail   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bear cavalry!
From: Capital City | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » They're back! LotR writing team joins The Hobbit (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help