profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » We've agreed on Bilbo
Author Topic: We've agreed on Bilbo
Thornclad
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3128
posted      Profile for Thornclad   Email Thornclad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22632
From: Berkshire | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vahndel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5110

posted      Profile for Vahndel   Email Vahndel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It just seems like it would make sense for Holm to play Bilbo again, since he played the part already and was definitely one of the brighter points of the LotR movies. It says that he will likely play some role in the movie anyway, but it would be strange to see him cast as someone else.
From: Florida, the Flower of the US | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ian Holm is almost 80 years old, IIRC. While the role of Bilbo Baggins probably won't be super-physical, it could probably still be a little too much for someone his age.
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragon the First
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6486
posted      Profile for Aragon the First   Author's Homepage   Email Aragon the First   Edit/Delete Post 
So New Line gets a stunt double and slaps a digital recreation of Holm's face on him. Or they could shuffle around the fighting bits so that the (presuembly) young dwarves do most of the fighting.
From: Washington State | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It won't be Ian Holm. He'll be older Bilbo flashing back to The Hobbit tale, if anything. Bilbo will be played by a younger actor, just like they did with Frodo.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Big Bilbo news! Now it has been revealed who they had in mind: Rowan Atkinson Lands Bilbo Baggins Role

Very inspired casting in my opinion.

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You nearly had me, nice try! []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It says that he will likely play some role in the movie anyway, but it would be strange to see him cast as someone else.
That's unfortunate, since he was only supposed to look about 35 in LotR (since 50 is mid-age for even an ordinary hobbit, let alone a Took).

quote:

Citizen # 2140
posted 04-01-2009 06:35 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Big Bilbo news! Now it has been revealed who they had in mind: Rowan Atkinson Lands Bilbo Baggins Role

Very inspired casting in my opinion.

-

[ 04-01-2009, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Sarah the Good Witch ]

From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly a YEAR before they reveal any casting?!??! Dangit, I can't wait that long!!! *twitches and dies* []
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I did hear it suggested, I don't think it was a serious suggestion that Nicholas Lyndhurst, that some of you Brits might know as Rodney might be cast as one of the Dwarfs! Er, he's over 6ft tall! I know that he is a good actor, but having him cast as a Dwarf might be stretching his acting capabilities a bit!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
That's good that he's tall: that way he'll make the hobbit look more convincing, by towering over him like a Dwarf should.
From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what she said. John Rhys-Davies is 6'1" (according to Wiki). The dwarven actors have to be on scale to the hobbit actors, not the human actors.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
It's good that most of the cast will be non-human, since they did a poor job of scaling in the last movie. First you'd have human actors digitally shrunk, then standing in trenches etc, or showing the comparisons so briefly that you conveniently weren't supposed to see that it was a midget-double.
This made the scale look incredibly inconsistent.
Since the cast will be mostly all Dwarves, then they can simply hire big hulking actors from the NFL to play them: that way they can dwarf the hobbit properly []

[ 05-28-2009, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Sarah the Good Witch ]

Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
EXCLUSIVE: The Official Hobbit Press Release!

At last!

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
posted      Profile for Eonwe The Herald   Email Eonwe The Herald   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
EXCLUSIVE: The Official Hobbit Press Release!

At last!

Awesome, this mentions 3 new actors that have yet to be confirmed (at least to my knowledge).

I wonder if any of them will play Bilbo?

From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*points at the date just in case*

[ 04-01-2010, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Can't do April Fools now, Ney, it's too late. But so it begins!
Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I still think James McAvoy would be an amazing choice. He's very similar-looking to Elijah. [] [] ... not that that should have anything to do with ... anything. *cough*
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » We've agreed on Bilbo
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help