Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Sir Ian McKellen Wants In (Page 2)
Author Topic: Sir Ian McKellen Wants In
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thread title:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sir Ian McKellen Wants In
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paddle faster, I hear banjo music....

-
"We must have a duel, my precious!"

[ 03-17-2008, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm still hoping that these new planned movies aren't clones of those others.
The fact that NewLine ended their feud with PJ for this tells me that wish isn't going to be granted. It is going to be very similar.

How he's going to reconcile his comic LoTR Gimli with the 13 stern dwarves of The Hobbit is the big question to me. Will they all be bumbling buffoons like Gimli was? Or will he mix it up a bit and have only some of them be bumbling buffoons? When the eagles come to save them, will he reprise the dwarf tossing joke as Gandalf tosses them up out of the trees to be caught in the talons of the great eagles flying by? PJ's Gimli was such a goof it is hard to imagine his Hobbit being anything other than comedy.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The fact that NewLine ended their feud with PJ for this tells me that wish isn't going to be granted. It is going to be very similar.

How he's going to reconcile his comic LoTR Gimli with the 13 stern dwarves of The Hobbit is the big question to me. Will they all be bumbling buffoons like Gimli was? Or will he mix it up a bit and have only some of them be bumbling buffoons? When the eagles come to save them, will he reprise the dwarf tossing joke as Gandalf tosses them up out of the trees to be caught in the talons of the great eagles flying by? PJ's Gimli was such a goof it is hard to imagine his Hobbit being anything other than comedy.

How is he going to reconcile ANYTHING, since if anything the Dwarves in The Hobbit were far more comical than those in LotR, and PJ-- like most bad directors-- will use any excuse to miscontrue lines for plausible support.
Likewise how can Tom, Bert and William-- three giant English bar-louts-- be reconciled with PJ's shapeless, mindless and voiceless screaming dissection-frogs that he laughably called "trolls" in LotR?
And the the Lion King hyeenas as Wargs (since actual WOLVES are now for dancing with, don't you know, just ask Kevin Costner; wouldn't wanna hurt Two-socks!)

And the ridiculous goblins definitely won't be made to go from outlandish Halloween-decorations, to humanoids as "Mr. T" intended.

Now the dragon, meanwhile, has some precedent in movie-making-- but trust PJ to mess that up as well, and make him do justice to Rankin-Bass with their laughably-drawn "Smog," as evidenced by PJ's ridiculous snake-headed "fell beasts."

[ 03-17-2008, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragon the First
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6486
posted      Profile for Aragon the First   Author's Homepage   Email Aragon the First   Edit/Delete Post 
How can something be voiceless and screaming? And how did the fell beasts look bad? They just looked evil.
From: Washington State | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
How can something be voiceless and screaming?
I said VOICELESS not NOISELESS. Look up the term.

quote:
And how did the fell beasts look bad? They just looked evil.
They looked ridiculous, not at all "pertodacylic."
Their articulated movement was likewise very unrealistic.

Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"pertodacylic."
Now, what's that? A medicine for arrogance, maybe?
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Typo: "Pterodactylic."
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WiKi wrote:
quote:
However, it was New Line who wanted Connery, not PJ:
(....)
Stupid git-- you fit the role to the man, not the man to the role!

Sean Connery is Sean Connery is Sean Connery. Whatever a director does with and to him, I still see SC, not the character played by him. For instance, I wondered how in earth Indiana Jones' father could be SC? And in Dragonheart, I saw a funny dressed SC flying around, spewing fire!

~ Ear.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly what you mean about SC Ear []
How can one forget his role in Highlander as Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez or as Captain Marko Ramius in The Hunt for Red October; not just a Spaniard but also a Russian with a Scottish accent! []
Heaven help us if Gandalf turned into a Scot! []
Btw, I actually like SC []

[ 03-18-2008, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree: he's a great actor, but ...

~ Ear.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
Sean Connery is Sean Connery is Sean Connery. Whatever a director does with and to him, I still see SC, not the character played by him. For instance, I wondered how in earth Indiana Jones' father could be SC? And in Dragonheart, I saw a funny dressed SC flying around, spewing fire!

Sure-- you're saying he has such limited range, that he need not even audition.... famous last words with many, many actors of whom it was said they could never fit the character-- only to nail it into an epic.
On the contrary, the true odd-man-out was trusting a limited seculist and snide cynic like PJ to come near Tolkien's work, which embodied faith, depth and complexity.

That being said, SC couldn't be worse than IM.

[ 03-18-2008, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

I never said that SC has a limited range. I'm only saying that every time he plays a rôle, I see SC playing a rôle and not the character (a friend of mine always sees James Bond when SC is in some movie [] ).

And, oh yeah, you wrote: you fit the role to the man, not the man to the role! If PJ had done that (even more), i think you would've been capable of killing the man! []

~ Ear.

[ 03-19-2008, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Earendilyon ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
If you even know what that means, i.e. you don't typecast by face-shopping for looks, but rather you allow the actor to ACT. PJ obviously did the former, since he has no artistic vision whatsoever, purely a one-dimensional gnome.

If Sean-Gandalf had said "Sho, Mish Monepenny, where's Q? I need my shecret gadgets and mission briefings," then you'd be right-- but I've seen him do much more than cornball bits like the type you're no doubt familiar in seeing him-- and generalizing therefrom.

[ 03-20-2008, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Bryan
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4625
posted      Profile for Bryan   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I thought Ian was the best possible Gandalf...Obviously there are other choices but for me I just couldn't see it any other way - not negating everyone else's opinions though. His voice was mentioned, I loved his voice in the movie, especially when he speaks with a deep one..and his facial expressions are always what they need to be.
From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
posted      Profile for Eonwe The Herald   Email Eonwe The Herald   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally I thought Ian was the best possible Gandalf...Obviously there are other choices but for me I just couldn't see it any other way - not negating everyone else's opinions though. His voice was mentioned, I loved his voice in the movie, especially when he speaks with a deep one..and his facial expressions are always what they need to be.
Could not agree more, I found Ian's portrayal of Gandalf perfect, and after watching various special features on the LOTR film DVD discs, it's clear to see Ian had a great respect for the role and enjoyed playing Gandalf immensely. []
From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Sir Ian McKellen Wants In (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help