Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Sir Ian McKellen Wants In (Page 1)
Author Topic: Sir Ian McKellen Wants In
Nahar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6496
posted      Profile for Nahar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like we might very well have the same Gandalf from the LOTR movies in Hobbit, according to this article:

quote:
Speaking exclusively to WENN, the veteran actor admitted he could not think of anyone better to play the role than himself. He said, "I certainly hope it's true - have you got anybody else who you think should be doing it?"
That is my question, do any of you have any ideas for 'better' Gandalfs, or are you content with McKellen?

In my opinion, I think he could do a better job than in the trilogy if the script for Hobbit is better. Perhaps even a chance to redeem himself for bumping his head in Bag End... []

He looks the part, sounds the part, but he definitely needs better dialogue imo! I actually like his acting in other movies too (woo Magneto!).

What do you all think? Is he yet another convict in the film adaptation 'murder spree'? Or is it unthinkable to have any other 'lower grade' actor take up his superbly-fitting role of Gandalf the Grey? (no reference to White in this situation)

Please, discuss! []

[ 03-12-2008, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Nahar ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"It is told that when the hosts of the Eldalië departed from Cuiviénen Oromë rode at their head upon Nahar, his white horse shod with gold..."

Tolkien, The Silmarillion, Of The Coming of the Elves

Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ian is Gandalf.

[ 03-12-2008, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hate his voice. He sounds like he always has something in his mouth.

The look is ok but he's too short.

I'd have rather seen Christopher Lee in that role.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ney-Ney. Ian is Gandalf as far as any movies are concerned.
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
McKellan was fine, I have no problems with him as far as the movies go.

But I do have to disagree with Ney that he "is" Gandalf...

As Maha said - as far as the movies, maybe. I have to agree that casting anyone else as Gandalf would be a little weird in the world of the movies, though...

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Shoulda said "IS Gandalf...In the movies" []

*likes "Ney-Ney"*
*it reminds her of "Faye-Faye!"*
*wonders why "Cowboy Bebop" was so episodic*

[ 03-12-2008, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was quite fond of John Huston as the voice of Gandalf in the Hobbit cartoon as a kid. It was almost as good as Richard Boone playing the voice of Smaug, which was deliciously perfect.

Unfortunately, John Huston isn't alive to reprise Gandalf now. With a nice wig and an exchange of that cigar for a pipe, he might have made a good Gandalf.
 -

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5454
posted      Profile for Rumil   Email Rumil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Christopher Lee would have made a better Gandalf than Mckellen. However, I think that since Lee and Mckellen have both already played in LoTRs as Gandalf and Saruman its an absurd thought that you could ever changer the actors for their characters, especially if New Line is planning to make all the movies flow together into the Trilogy

(I watched all the Extendeds of LoTRs Back to back... it took like all day but it was awesome... if the Hobbit flows into them I would probably do it again just to say I did with the Hobbit)

From: Lothlorien | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Back when RotK movie was released several theaters around the country had all-day back-to-backs with FotR and TT Extended Editions + the new RotK. My wife and I saw them all in a row that way. It made for a very fun day.

Yes, this means what you think it means. My criticism of the movies doesn't mean I hate them. []

And Ney-Ney, I agree. John Huston's voice was great for Gandalf.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
From what I remember, wasn't Lee actually asked to play Gandalf before McKellan was but turned it down respectfully, though he'd dreamed of playing the white wizard since forever, because he felt himself too old for the stunts or something?
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nahar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6496
quote:
Yes, this means what you think it means. My criticism of the movies doesn't mean I hate them.
Hehe, I confess to that as well, DPR. Despite the movies being really inaccurate and straying harmfully far from Tolkien's intentions, (and not at all executed as well as they could have been) they are nonetheless fun to watch, and they have SOME positive effect on folks if you just let them be and enjoy 'em []

Therefore, back on track, I will enjoy going to see the Hobbit if it is at least as entertaining as the others, even though it might be a 'crude mockery' of Tolkien as WiKi would say...entertainment is entertainment to me.

And even if McKellen is a bad Gandalf, I think he had better assume the same role again because I wouldn't be able to focus on the story if some other guy took the screen for these two films, it would be like a mockery of a mockery almost...

Also I agree it would definitely not make sense for New Line to change the constants for a prequel...and you know damn well I will be watching all the movies chronologically lined up with the trilogy when the extended Hobbit DVDs are out []

[ 03-12-2008, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Nahar ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"It is told that when the hosts of the Eldalië departed from Cuiviénen Oromë rode at their head upon Nahar, his white horse shod with gold..."

Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

Nahar, your views on the films is a breath of fresh air in an atmosphere where everyone seems to take their perhaps ill-founded disdain for PJ a little too seriously.
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
Bad move with the "everyone" but rectified with the "perhaps" Maha.
[]

Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Agree completely about John Huston--he would have made a far more imposing Gandalf than delicate little McKellen, even if I'm not crazy about the idea of any LotR actor being American (nor would Tolkien have been, I'm sure). Still he would have been a superior choice if it were twenty years ago, while on the other hand, no time, forward or back, would help McKellen achieve the same.

I disagree about Gandalf being recast though. A good actor could pull it off, especially if he were better suited for the part. Michael Gambon very nicely took over the Dumbledore role when Richard Harris died--and though some people objected, Gambon IMO portrayed the Hogwart's headmaster closer to the eccentric Dumbledore displayed in the text (intentionally or not) than the kindly, benign Harris version. Though I liked Richard Harris, I've pretty much forgotten he was the original Dumbledore, as Gambon just seemed better cast for it.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

No, I think I was justified in my use of "everyone". I treat the internet like I treat driving: everyone's a moron but me. []
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sound attitude.

Only, in traffic that tends to prevent collisions. On the net it tends to provoke them ...

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

quote:
Michael Gambon very nicely took over the Dumbledore role when Richard Harris died--and though some people objected, Gambon IMO portrayed the Hogwart's headmaster closer to the eccentric Dumbledore displayed in the text (intentionally or not) than the kindly, benign Harris version. Though I liked Richard Harris, I've pretty much forgotten he was the original Dumbledore, as Gambon just seemed better cast for it.
It is SO refreshing to see someone else who feels this way! Too bad we can't go back in time and cast Gambon in the first place...
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Agree completely about John Huston--he would have made a far more imposing Gandalf than delicate little McKellen, even if I'm not crazy about the idea of any LotR actor being American (nor would Tolkien have been, I'm sure). Still he would have been a superior choice if it were twenty years ago, while on the other hand, no time, forward or back, would help McKellen achieve the same.

I disagree about Gandalf being recast though. A good actor could pull it off, especially if he were better suited for the part. Michael Gambon very nicely took over the Dumbledore role when Richard Harris died--and though some people objected, Gambon IMO portrayed the Hogwart's headmaster closer to the eccentric Dumbledore displayed in the text (intentionally or not) than the kindly, benign Harris version. Though I liked Richard Harris, I've pretty much forgotten he was the original Dumbledore, as Gambon just seemed better cast for it.

Remember that PJ's casting-choices were guided by his anti-Tolkien philosophy, so of course McKellan was the anti-Gandalf, i.e. fragile, bumbling, and soft-spoken, foolish.
In contrast you need someone like Sean Connery if you want to see an old man who's also a baddie, but he's a bit big.

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nahar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6496
quote:
In contrast you need someone like Sean Connery
Heh, well considering he was PJ's first choice, that makes him even more anti-Gandalf than McKellen. []

Also he declined the part for he didn't even understand the story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4736303.stm

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Which would him the PERFECT PJ choice! []

However, it was New Line who wanted Connery, not PJ:

quote:
Jackson explained that he was under pressure from the producers to cast Sir Sean in the role...The director said he had been concerned that despite the actor's ability, his fame would eclipse the role. Mr Jackson explained: "I felt Gandalf would take on a Sean Connery persona, with a long beard and robe."

Stupid git-- you fit the role to the man, not the man to the role!
It's a first-year film student's most common mistake mistake, i.e. to see only the outer actor, and make a knee-jerk typecasting decision such directors tend to end up telling, not showing (like PJ did).
So everyone got picked on what PJ THOUGHT the characters looked like (and remember he can't read too well).

quote:
Last year Sir Sean explained his decision to turn down the role: "Yeah, well, I never understood it. I read the book, I read the script, I saw the movie. I still don't understand it. I would be interested in doing something that I don't fully understand, but not for eighteen months."

So PJ clearly didn't WANT Sean for the role, since 1) he SAID so, and 2) he had the audacity and gall to think he could explain the story to the world, but we're supposed to believe tht he couldn't explain it to one person.
Reading the script and seeing the movie sure won't help you understand it, and reading it once-over won't allow you to understand it either-- ESPECIALLY if you saw the movie first.

[ 03-13-2008, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nahar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6496
Well we still have one baddie (miscast, but still a badass [] ) to look forward to, since I bet they're getting Agent Smith to do Elrond again. I just hope he doesn't smile again, it looks too fake! (Probably one of the few people in the world whose natural facial state is a gravely intense frown).

-

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
Well we still have one baddie (miscast, but still a badass ) to look forward to, since I bet they're getting Agent Smith to do Elrond again. I just hope he doesn't smile again, it looks too fake! (Probably one of the few people in the world whose natural facial state is a gravely intense frown
"Dumbass" is more like it-- he reminds me more of Red Foreman; I sure wouldn't look forward to that.

-

It would have been EASY to get Sean Connery to play Gandalf-- if PJ knew anything about Tolkien; Gandalf was like James Bond and Merlin the Magician combined.

[ 03-13-2008, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Aragon the First
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6486
posted      Profile for Aragon the First   Author's Homepage   Email Aragon the First   Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me you are joking. Gandalf is nothing like James Bond. As for Merlin, there are so many different versions of Merlin out there ( a new one in every King Arthur book it seems) that you can compare almost anyone to Merlin.

From: Washington State | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
Please tell me you are joking. Gandalf is nothing like James Bond.
Yes, he was a secret agent for the King and Queen of Arda; Sauron was his nemesis. No one else knew his real identity except the Wizards. He was also a spy, an infiltrator and a detective (so throw in some Sherlock Holmes).

quote:
As for Merlin, there are so many different versions of Merlin out there ( a new one in every King Arthur book it seems) that you can compare almost anyone to Merlin.
The point is that he was sent by God to guard and guide the Britons, but this wasn't such a secret in Merlin's case like it was Gandalf's.

But seriously, the reason PJ couldn't explain it to him, is
1) he didn't WANT SC as Gandalf, and
2) he didnt' have the foggiest idea himself, that LotR was about Prof. T's grand Magnum Opus to create a mythology for Brittania.
There's no way that Sir SC, as a classic Gael Scot, could pass THAT up!

[ 03-14-2008, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thread title:
quote:
Sir Ian McKellen Wants In
Paddle faster, I hear banjo music....

Seriously... I'm still hoping that these new planned movies aren't clones of those others.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Sir Ian McKellen Wants In (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help