Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Del Toro to direct The Hobbit? (Page 3)
Author Topic: Del Toro to direct The Hobbit?
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Time-travel is always a joke-- that's why it movies handle it with comedy-duo's like Bill&Ted, Doc&Marty, Kirk&Spock....

However I doubt the SFX were worse than PJ's, whose SFX all reminded me of the Wizard of Oz-- from the "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" red eyeball, to the "Auntie Em!" palantír, to the flying-monkey orcs.

[ 02-13-2008, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Time-travel is always a joke
I would have agreed with you a few months ago...But then I saw "Primer." Good thinking man's movie []
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
If you're new to the concept.

[ 02-14-2008, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you're new to the concept
 -
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Time-travel movies tend to belabor esoteric pseudo-scientific geekisms-- which makes them such fodder for low-budget cult-films, and blockbuster comedies.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's official: Del Toro is moving to New Zealand for some odd years to direct "The Hobbit" and it's sequel []

If you haven't seen "Pan's Labyrinth" yet; do so.

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this great little tidbit on Newsarama today, so I just had to come over here and post on how much I love it!

What a great hire. I'm very much looking forward to a more appropriate dark vision of this book, than the so called children's story vision.

It has man eating Trolls, sadistic Goblins, a devestating Dragon, giant evil spiders, vicious Wargs, a man who can turn into a limb ripping bear, drunken Dwarves, that nasty Ghoul - Gollum, and war. All the right elements to make one hell of a seriously dark and fun movie, just the way I pictured it when I read it.

This has the potential to even out do the legendary Lord of the Rings trilogy. Soon will be time for the purist haters to get beat down again. Another victory for the unwashed majority over the elitist minority. []

YAY! []

[ 04-28-2008, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Snow Wizard ]

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
The Deplorable Cultus has spoken.... the movie's not even cast or written yet, and already we hear the candy-assed brown-nose bleatings of paranoid "shoot-the-messenger" film-philes to prematurely polish that forthcoming turd.

"Drunken dwarves?" Geez it's not even in the book, and already SW's spinning Armageddon as "a warm homecoming."

[ 04-28-2008, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Drunken dwarves? Geez it's not even in the book
Did you read the same book?
Are you on the same planet as me?
Good to see you again. []

quote:
The Deplorable Cultus has spoken.... the movie's not even cast or written yet, and already we hear the candy-assed brown-nose bleatings of paranoid "shoot-the-messenger" film-philes to prematurely polish that forthcoming turd.

Oh, it'll be polished, and it'll be critically acclaimed, it will make boatloads of mula, and it will be hated by the purists. See, I can tell the future too. []

Oh, and who am I brown-nosing, and what could I gain from it?

[ 04-28-2008, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Snow Wizard ]

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Concerning the influence of Tolkien on his work, Guillermo del Toro has said:
quote:
Not at all. I could barely finish The Hobbit. Curiously, that kind of fantasy, never called out to me. I think that fairy tales are in themselves a different genre. Heroic fantasy, in general, leaves me cold. I am more interested in Robert E. Howard’s work of terror than his novels about the muscular Conan. Although there are two writers of fantasy that I think are sublime: Clark Ashton Smith and Lord Dunsany.
(Source)

and
quote:
I was never into heroic fantasy. At all. I don’t like little guys and dragons, hairy feet, hobbits – I’ve never been into that at all. I don’t like sword and sorcery, I hate all that stuff.
(Source)
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
not very heartening...
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Seem's they don't call him "del Toro" just because it's his name, but also the poetic appropo.

quote:
Did you read the same book?
Yes, and not once did the Dwarves get drunk. You're thinking of the ELVES-- and only 2 of them, Galion the Butler, and the chief guard.

quote:
Oh, it'll be polished, and it'll be critically acclaimed, it will make boatloads of mula, and it will be hated by the purists. See, I can tell the future too.
And stink to high heaven-- no matter how you try, you can't polish a turd!
You can see the same thing on any downtown street-corner, i.e. pimping.

quote:
Oh, and who am I brown-nosing, and what could I gain from it?

You do THAT on any downtown street-corner too; take it up with the pimps.

[ 04-28-2008, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I saw this great little tidbit on Newsarama today, so I just had to come over here and post on how much I love it!

What a great hire. I'm very much looking forward to a more appropriate dark vision of this book, than the so called children's story vision.

It has man eating Trolls, sadistic Goblins, a devestating Dragon, giant evil spiders, vicious Wargs, a man who can turn into a limb ripping bear, drunken Dwarves, that nasty Ghoul - Gollum, and war. All the right elements to make one hell of a seriously dark and fun movie, just the way I pictured it when I read it.

Prepare to have your hopes dashed, or more likely, to have to change your viewpoint on what makes a great Hobbit movie. The film they're making will not be as you described. It will be geared to the same PG-13 age group the LotR was.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So he doesn't even like The Hobbit? []

Eh. At this point, all you can do is laugh.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
At a funeral.
Thornclad
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3128
posted      Profile for Thornclad   Email Thornclad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to be a fan of the source material to make a good film. Maybe Del Torro not being a fan will allow him to approach it without bias resulting in a more faithful interpretation.

I suppose we don't know who the writer is yet?

This book is far more cinema-friendly than LOTR, so it will hopefully be more difficult to arse it up.

From: Berkshire | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
It's really not a matter of being a fan, but of having some intelligence, classical education and good taste. Since PJ has all but three of these qualities, he could arse up anything.
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I suppose we don't know who the writer is yet.
Indeed we do.

According to This Article/Interview it will be PJ, Boyens, and Del Toro.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
So basically we can expect more of the same... but worse.
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.syfyportal.com/news425159.html
quote:
Guillermo del Toro wants the films to re-create the spirit of the book.

"I'm trying to be faithful," del Toro said in a new interview with SciFi Wire. "I'm trying to re-create on the screen the feeling I had when I was 11 in my bed reading the book. How excited I got. How great I thought it was. That's what I'm trying to honor."

The films will not be similar in style to the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, according to del Toro, nor will they be like other fantasy films he has directed, such as "Hellboy" and "Pan's Labyrinth."

"I know that for a fact I gravitated towards the novel," said del Toro. "So there's something there that echoes with me very strongly, which is not the case with most fantasy."

According to Del Toro, the first film, which is scheduled to begin shooting later this year in New Zealand, is still in the early stages of planning and isn't officially in preproduction yet.

"There is a lot of work already being done on our parts," del Toro said, "but real preproduction will not start until late July."

"The news came very joyously during the post-production of Hellboy II," he said about being handed the reigns for "The Hobbit." "But at the same time, it was the most miraculous and beautiful monkey wrench in a lot of things that we were planning, both in life plans that I have to put to bed from now until December in order to become celibate and dedicate my entire energy to 'The Hobbit.'"

From: Mnemosyne's orchard | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denton
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 7305
posted      Profile for Denton   Email Denton   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully, they do not trash this one. I will kill myself if they do. With a chainsaw. And broken glass shards. And Hydrochloric Acid. []

[ 08-11-2008, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Denton ]

Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
Can I film that and stick it on youtube, Denton? I wanna become the next Peter Jackson. []
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Having just watched Hellboy - the Golden Army (directed by del Toro) I've come to think he may be the right man to do this. The decision to film in New Zealand is still retarded, though.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
Del Toro's filmography:

Bag of Bones (2009) (in production) (executive producer)
Untitled Alfonso Cuarón Project (2009) (in production) (producer)
Hater (2010) (pre-production) (producer)
Biutiful (2009) (post-production) (producer)
Splice (2009) (post-production) (executive producer)
Rabia (2009) (post-production) (producer)
Rudo y Cursi (2008) (producer)
Lawrence of a Labia (2008) (executive producer)
While She Was Out (2008) (executive producer)
Cosas insignificantes (2008) (producer)
... aka Insignificant Things (International: English title)
Hellboy Animated: Iron Shoes (2007) (V) (creative producer)
Orfanato, El (2007) (producer)
... aka The Orphanage (USA)
Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron (2007) (TV) (creative producer)
... aka Hellboy Animated: Blood & Iron (USA: DVD box title)
Hellboy Animated: Sword of Storms (2006) (TV) (creative producer)
Laberinto del fauno, El (2006) (producer)
... aka Pan's Labyrinth (International: English title)
... aka The Labyrinth of the Faun (International: English title: informal literal title)
Crónicas (2004) (producer)
... aka Chronicles (International: English title)
Asesino en serio (2002) (executive producer)
... aka Asesino en serio (Spain)
... aka I Murder Seriously (International: English title)
... aka Serious Killer (USA: DVD title)
Espinazo del diablo, El (2001) (producer)
... aka The Devil's Backbone (Europe: English title) (USA)

Embrujo, Un (1998) (producer)
... aka Under a Spell (Canada: English title)

Doña Herlinda y su hijo (1985) (executive producer)
... aka Dona Herlinda and Her Son (USA)
Doña Lupe (1985) (executive producer)

Does anyone know about any of these?

From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Laberinto is pretty famous. And gorgeous.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Del Toro to direct The Hobbit? (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help