Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Del Toro to direct The Hobbit? (Page 1)
Author Topic: Del Toro to direct The Hobbit?
Elladan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 911

posted      Profile for Elladan   Email Elladan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Been a LONG time since ive posted on these forums, a few years infact. With news of The Hobbit film abound i've found my way back here []

So according to AICN and the Hollywood reported it seems Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct the Hobbit double up.
Harry over at AICN has talked to del Toro about it a while back, in which he said he'd love to do it and keep true to the world that PJ has created with the LotR films.

So what do you guys think of del Toro directing? I think if he collaborates heavily with PJ then it could be a great move. I loved Pan's Labyrinth and think he'd do a pretty awesome job of bringing Middle-earth to life once again.
Ofcourse PJ will still need to be heavily involved, which i believe he will be, and guide del Toro along the way.

Here is the link to AICN, with the hollywood reporter's link inside.
http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/35428

Ofcourse this is still just rumour..so we'll have to see what happens.

From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
in which he [del Toro] said he'd love to do it and keep true to the world that PJ has created with the LotR films.

So it won't actually have much, if anything to do with the world that JRR Tolkien has created then?! []
Oh god! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elladan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 911

posted      Profile for Elladan   Email Elladan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear, i forgot about the Tolkien diehard's that have opposed the film. [] I use to be one back in the day, i guess i've mellowed out a bit over the years.

But to be honest Wetwang i've always been pretty impressed with PJ's vision of ME, to me it definately is alot like Tolkien's world..except for a few things here and there.

From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Yeah well it's those 'few things here and there' that tend to stick in the throat []
Things like'
XenaArwen
Kool-dude Surfing Legoham
Elves at Helm's Deep
Mountain-o-Skulls
Flaming Eyeball bad guy
I think I'll stop there []
Actually about the only thing PJ didn't pander for for the gay market []
But on hindsight I had my doubts about PJ's Haldir []
About the only good thing you can say about PJ's vision is that it made for pretty good eye candy []

[ 01-29-2008, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can we let it go? For the love of Eru, it's been years since the last one came out! Move on! []

quote:
I think if he collaborates heavily with PJ then it could be a great move.
I concur. Del Toro is one of the directors I would trust to keep true.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Move on to what? We can only discuss the future films in terms of the previous work of the creator of that world. Nobody in Hollywood denies that the film's world was a PJ, not a Tolkien, creation. They call it PJ's world all the time. It really isn't debatable.

When a poster tries to minimize that fact, he or she will be called on it every time. That's a fact of life here. I'm not sure why that would bother anyone.

That said, I like Del Toro. But wasn't Sam Raimi already hired or was that just a rumor?

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But to be honest Wetwang i've always been pretty impressed with PJ's vision of ME, to me it definately is alot like Tolkien's world.
It's a crude mockery at best, even snide and cynical.

[ 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I loved del Toro's El laberinto del fauno, which at times approaches the sublime (but had a few inconsistencies I thought). It's quite a lovely film, but I don't think this approach or director would do for The Hobbit. del Toro's indulgence in graphic (or suggested) violence worked well for a film like Labyrinth, but no way for The Hobbit, good gawd. Yes the slimy stuff would of course appeal to PJ's sense for the disgusting, and it would be no surprise to me if del Toro (or Raimi, for all the same reasons) was PJ's personal choice. But The Hobbit is a fairer and more innocent piece (not that PJ has any intention of respecting that) and would be more suited to someone with subtler tastes.

So maybe it is all a rumor, but if the director hasn't been officially hired, I'm still holding out hope for the other rumored guy, Peter Weir. []

[ 01-29-2008, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Archer ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
There's not even any real violence IN the hobbit except for killing the Great Goblin, a few fireworks, setting a few Wargs on fire, bears fighting wolves, and Bilbo stepping on a few bugs; the dragon just sets a few buildings on fire. The only real violence is at the very end; it's not like LotR where there's danger in Hobbiton and battle before they even reach Bree.

Tolkien obviously abhorred graphic violence, being war-weary himself from a young age, and only used it in eucatastrophic context-- wholly alien to today's glorifiers of gratuity.

[ 01-30-2008, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elladan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 911

Archer, your assuming that if del Toro came aboard he'd make the movie into a Pan's Labyrinth type dark children's fairytale. Im sure that wouldnt be the case.

It's funny the diehards on here that just cant see the movies for the seperate entities that they are and try enjoy them. But like i said i was the same once, so i will say no more.

Dread Pirate, im not sure what your getting at with your post, im not saying the movies are a Tolkien creation..far from it. However they are a Tolkien inspired creation and one's that i believe are probably the best we'd ever get to see on the big screen..it could definately have done alot worse considering other book to film adaptations.

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

quote:
It's funny the diehards on here that just cant see the movies for the seperate entities that they are and try enjoy them.
Oh I except them as a seperate entity, I just don't except that they have anything in common with the spirit of the world that the good professor invented []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
im not saying the movies are a Tolkien creation..far from it. However they are a Tolkien inspired creation[...]
And yet the movie auaciously states: "J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings". If they onnly added 'inspired' there things would have been fine by me. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Any opinion on the fact that Guillermo del Toro has said that he did not manage to get through The Lord of the Rings (source: http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2008/01/del-toro-in-talks-to-direct-hobbit.html)?
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
im not saying the movies are a Tolkien creation..far from it. However they are a Tolkien inspired creation
...if you want that, just Google "Tolkien fanwankery" and go to any of the 12,386,432 hits that come up; that doesn't make ANY of it worth reading, let alone watching.

[ 01-30-2008, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
Any opinion on the fact that Guillermo del Toro has said that he did not manage to get through The Lord of the Rings (source: http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2008/01/del-toro-in-talks-to-direct-hobbit.html)?
I'm afraid that the golden era of "the big movie" is over; how it's all about pumping out DVD's en masse since it costs the same to buy Gone with the Wind as "Beavis and Butt-head Do America." The movie "The Player" wasn't kidding.

[ 01-30-2008, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i believe are probably the best we'd ever get to see on the big screen
Ever? Oh we'll see better someday. Many of even the great films are remade within a few decades of the originals. So other than those of us who are, say, 55 or older, the rest of us are likely to see another better version in our lifetime. I hope so, anyway.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Improbable. I'd be very surprised if A: Someone remade it to begin with, seeing how the originals are instant classics and B: They could actually surpass what has been created already. I wouldn't mind seeing someone try, though. The more interpretations, the better.

Tor.N is saying that Del Toro is directing for sure.

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Archer, your assuming that if del Toro came aboard he'd make the movie into a Pan's Labyrinth type dark children's fairytale. Im sure that wouldnt be the case.
I'm not just guessing; I'm going by what I know of him. I'll admit I haven't followed his career, nor seen all his films, but what I have seen often have the same kind of elements. Has he made any films at all without graphic violence or the creepy, slimy stuff he (and do doubt PJ) loves? I'd be curious to know if he has.

I do know he has reputedly said, "I have a sort of a fetish for insects, clockwork, monsters, dark places, and unborn things." And "My fascination with [monsters] is almost anthropological . . . I study them, I dissect them in many of my movies: I want to know how they work, what the inside of them looks like. . ." which is apparent in at least what I've seen of his work.

Tolkien on the other hand is more about symbolic, mythic fear in his monsters, and he doesn't need to show us the inside of them to make us frightened. I think del Toro's fondness for the gross and grotesque can only combine with PJ's splatter tastes, so that we're not likely to see a Hobbit film with any of the same mood or spirit. Shame, again, for another Tolkien work poorly misrepresented.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

I say let Quentin Tarentino have a go; he could give it a Reserviour Dogs feel []
Surely that wouldn't be worse than the bastardization that PJ came up with on LotR []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
quote:
Improbable. I'd be very surprised if A: Someone remade it to begin with, seeing how the originals are instant classics and B: They could actually surpass what has been created already. I wouldn't mind seeing someone try, though. The more interpretations, the better.
Classics are MORE likely to get remade, not less. And just as PJ improved slightly over the earlier cartoon made a couple decades before, the next group will doubtless improve over PJ's films made a few decades before. It isn't only not improbable, it is almost inevitable.
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I say let Quentin Tarentino have a go; he could give it a Reserviour Dogs feel
Orblando's Legolas is a shoo-in for Mr.Pink.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

[] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

quote:
Classics are MORE likely to get remade, not less.
Let me know when the remakes of "Gone with the Wind," "The Great Escape," "Casablanca," "Ben Hur," "Star Wars," and "Pan's Labyrinth" (ok, maybe a bit too soon to call that one a classic) are coming out [] At this point I don't even expect the awful first two "Harry Potter" flickies to get remade. Not in my lifetime, anyway.

On the other hand, you may be right. Maybe LotR falls into the Jane Austen or Dickens category where someone makes a new version every so often. I just think the general public views LotR as The Film Version, which would make a new one harder to get made...

quote:
the next group will doubtless improve over PJ's films made a few decades before. It isn't only not improbable, it is almost inevitable.
I would enjoy that [] Seriously, I mean. The more versions the better.

quote:
I say let Quentin Tarentino have a go; he could give it a Reserviour Dogs feel
And the rumored third movie (the bridge from The Hobbit to LotR) could be Arwen going Kill Bill on the orcs who did Celebrian *nod nod*

(Obviously I don't think Jackson's films are perfect and Arwen would be my main tiff, though I think he was right to expand her role. I'll be happy if we can continue this conversation in such a grown-up manner [] )

[ 01-30-2008, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classics are MORE likely to get remade, not less.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know when the remakes of...

He meant classic BOOKS. No one ever re-makes a classic movie in a way that's any good-- just look at "King Kong!" []

quote:
(Obviously I don't think Jackson's films are perfect and Arwen would be my main tiff, though I think he was right to expand her role. I'll be happy if we can continue this conversation in such a grown-up manner )

If you ever grow up.

[ 01-31-2008, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

quote:
No one ever re-makes a classic movie in a way that's any good
Exactly.

quote:
If you ever grow up.
What brought that on?
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Del Toro to direct The Hobbit? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help