Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Female characters in the hobbit (Page 4)
Author Topic: Female characters in the hobbit
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, but this is just too much.

Who cares what color Legolas's hair was in the movie especially since it can be argued from the Tolkien legendarium that it could have been either color????

Yes, many of the Eldar are dark haired, and this seems to more or less be the default setting (unless you happen to be Vanyar).

But The Hobbit does distinctly say that Thranduil was blonde...so it wouldn't be absurd (or even abnormal) for his son to be as well.

As this can be convincingly argued either way, why not just let it go?

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of a blonde Gimli, though []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care what color anyone's hair was, to be honest.

Surely there are better things to attack in the movie than this.

The rape of Faramir, for instance. []

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Allow me to direct you http://www.minastirith.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001478

However I think it's quite relevant that Legolas wasn't Madonna or Britney; it ranks right up there with Disney.

[ 01-13-2008, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Amarie,
you said:
quote:
I really don't (care for TH).
At what age did you read it?
As for me, I was into JRRT from a fairly young age (10) so this "children's" tale was good for me. I read TH in one day and leaped directly into the more serious LOTR. My life was never the same.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Archer are you suggesting that Gimli could have been blonde?
Why not? [] Tolkien's dwarves have Nordic roots at the very heart, so a blond Gimli isn't too implausible.

Actually I've always envisioned Gimli as dark-haired, maybe because of Tolkien's associating them with Jewish peoples. However, I also think his approval of the BBC's broadcast representation of a "German" Glóin interesting, (in terms of the accent making them appear as exiles, anyway.)

The Scottish dwarf thing has got to go though. []

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

quote:
At what age did you read it?
I believe I was about 25.
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Fili and Kili had "yellow beards," and were the only ones mentioned with such; however Gloín, Gimli's father, wasn't described until it had turned white in "Many Meetings."
Gimli is likewise nondescript-- as is Legolas; for this reason it would stand that Gimli, like Legolas, looked like most of the others.

quote:
Actually I've always envisioned Gimli as dark-haired, maybe because of Tolkien's associating them with Jewish peoples. However, I also think his approval of the BBC's broadcast representation of a "German" Glóin interesting,
True, he was a craftsmanly mensch with a penchant for the geld and working fine jewelry, and he had a shiksa syndrome over Galadriel-- how do you know he was German and not Yiddish?
[]

[ 01-14-2008, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I never hear anyone asking what color Gimli's hair was! Was it ever mentioned? I can't think of it. (And why is it always depicted as red?!)
Maybe because Gimli was Scottish, at least PJ says so, and since PJ's never wrong...
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've just finished re-reading the Hobbit and a very pleasurable experience it was to. At least it was much better than all the crappy TV they force me to watch during my work breaks! But sadly, I did look closely, but found no more female characters apart from Bilbo's mum. Maybe also there could be one in Lake-town as a companion to Bard when the town is attacked by Smaug. Perhaps she could also cuddle Bilbo and say, 'isn't he cute,' when the company firstly enters lake-town. But this would involve one or two extra scenes. Which might happen if it was a TV series, but not so much in a film!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
I hope not, PJ has "Shreked" Tolkien enough already; we don't need another "Tiajuana dragon show."

[ 01-20-2008, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Trivia: some of the spiders in the original drafts were female.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
That's another thing; the spiders in The Hobbit were intelligent and could talk-- like book-Shelob, since Gollum obviously talked with her; meanwhile Shelob in the movies, obviously wasn't intelligent at all-- just a big mutated tarantula straight out of 1950's sci-fi movies... but hobbit-sized (and part cockroach, since it fled from ordinary light).

Hopefully The Hobbit will be more true to the book.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Oh, well, having re-read the Hobbit, it looks like the only female character I can think of is Bilbo's mum. Perhaps she can have been the person who introduced Gandalf to him in the first place and that can be seen in a prologue? Possibly one can think of mothers with the Dwarfs, or possibly even Grandmothers? Maybe some of the Dwarfs had the same grandmother who had some influence on there early lives and managed to persuade them to stay on the side of good.
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
There weren't any female characters in Moby Dick, either-- who needs 'em when it's not that kind of story?
I just fear that they'll do the "Shrek" thing and make Smaug female and Bilbo... nevermind!

Mordor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6501
posted      Profile for Mordor   Email Mordor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
there will probly be woman in the town of dale
From: Mount Airy MD | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silvabre
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11371
posted      Profile for Silvabre   Email Silvabre   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ringers would be ouraged if Peter made anyone form the book who was originally a male, a female. True fans like to stick with J. R. R. Tolkiens original work, and they'd probably be a "little" upset if anything was changed dramatically. And since all the dwarves and characters are already known, there are no female dwarves or black dwarves. Most people are nervous because Peter added Tauriel, and since shes not in the book. So I cant even imagine what the fans would do if Peter changed the gender of any of the characters. I personally like to stick with Tolkiens work, and Im glad Peter is sticking with his writings. I fully trust Peter Jackson and I know that this movie will be over the top!
From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Ringers would be ouraged if Peter made anyone form the book who was originally a male, a female.
Oh gawd, not "Bilbostar Galactica!" []
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Sherriff
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5427
posted      Profile for The Sherriff   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm back.

The Shire and Imladris are chock full of femininity. Laketown, Mirkwood. There just aren't any names.... the ladies could barrel ride down the river with the best. And a row of lady archers standing firm as Smaug wales away. Ohhh yeah.

From: The Shire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I assume that not all of the guests at the elves feast in Mkrkwood were male! Just a thought but I wonder if Arwen might have been their.
The Sherriff
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5427
posted      Profile for The Sherriff   Edit/Delete Post 
A list of people that were NOT married would be interesting. In LOTR there are a few couples... Bombadil, Galadriel, Elrond... was NO person of the 9 walkers married?
From: The Shire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Was excited maybe to see this and give it a chance until I read this today...
quote:
Still, some Tolkien traditionalists were unhappy to learn that a female elf character, played by Evangeline Lilly, was being added to the fold. Writer Phillippa Boyens explained to the audience the reason: There were far too many men in the movie.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How horrible. Oh well I'll just have to try and deal with it.

-

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. She could be watchable. *ahem* But PJ goes too far reinventing characters... um. well. I hate it when I can sanction one of PJ's spates of artistic licence.

As long as Melkor or someone doesn't "ruin" her and she ends up like this, I'll tolerate it. ;-)

-

[ 08-03-2012, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Aiwrendel ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Female characters in the hobbit (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help