Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Female characters in the hobbit (Page 3)
Author Topic: Female characters in the hobbit
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now he's a political scientist as well!
Well let's see... my I.R.A. does makes money for me, YOURS blows people up.
Who wins on that one? [] [] []

[ 01-01-2008, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Would you stop editing?

As I said before, that's so hillariously funny, I don't know if I can take your dagger sharp wit. []

[ 01-01-2008, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Amárië ]

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have got as far as where Bilbo escapes from Gollum and still the only female character I have is Belledonna Took.
I can't think of another one, not in the Elven realm or even in Laketown. I don't recall any ladies being named individually, just general terms like 'the women of Laketown' etc.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Also in Rivendell on his return, the Elves sing of "Elf and Elf-maiden".
(I certainly hope Arwen isn't shoved into the script, since the Appendices make abundantly clear that Arwen was in Lórien until 10 years later).

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(I certainly hope Arwen isn't shoved into the script, since the Appendices make abundantly clear that Arwen was in Lórien until 10 years later).
As if the main text of LOTR didn't make it abundantly clear that it was Glorfindel who came to rescue the hobbits and nor Arwen! [] Do you think PJ will bother with a small line in the Appendices? There will be Arwen in the Hobbit - I am sure of it! []

You can expect anything from PJ - Arwen coming to Mirkwood, rescueing the party from the spiders/trolls/nazgul, coming to Thranduil's halls, meeting Legolas [] , maybe refusing his advances because of love for Estel [] (a silly enough plot to appeal to PJ) etc etc. Anything to make it appealing to teenage fangirls.

[ 01-01-2008, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Ulairë Gordis ]

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Well PJ has to make changes, after all he wears a lot of hats-- producer, director, screenwriters, WETA chairman, promoter.... and oh yeah:

-

Aragon the First
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6486
posted      Profile for Aragon the First   Author's Homepage   Email Aragon the First   Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me your joking about a man (or a woman for that matter) wearing that hat.

[ 01-02-2008, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Aragon the First ]

From: Washington State | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Wish I was, but unfortunately that's PJ's main chapeau... right after the tall pointy white one with the big "D" on it.

[ 01-03-2008, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

For those who don't "get" WiKi's humor, that's a pimp hat.
The tall pointy one with a D on it is a dunce cap.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
I knew I'd have to end up explaining it....
Eldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6104
posted      Profile for Eldarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No wonder.. Wiki is the only one who'd know that.
From: Washington (not D.C.) | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, anyone who's spent more than 10 minutes living somewhere other than their mom's basement would know that.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Roberts []

As for female characters in The Hobbit, no. Just, no. []

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll never get over the kindness on this site. It truly overwhelms the mind. []

As for female characters in the Hobbit, I really couldn't care less. The story's silly to start with.

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, the story is NOT silly. It is meant for kids - yes, but it is a very good kids book.
PJ would want to adapt it for his target audience - slightly (or not so slightly) retarded teenagers. They will need Leggy, Arwen, a love-story and lots of fighting. I bet PJ won't cheat their expectations. []

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

quote:
Nah, the story is NOT silly. It is meant for kids - yes, but it is a very good kids book.
We'll leave this to a matter of opinion. []
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

Fair enough. []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing, but when I bought my current edition of the Hobbit, it wasn't in the children's section. Slightly off-topic, but it is interesting re-reading it again after all these years with a slightly different prespective on things. For example, I had totally forgotten about the fact that before they met the Wargs of the mountains the company slid down the mountains in a rockslide. Another thing is that I noticed in the text that it did say that the Elvenking in Mirkwood did have golden hair. Now I know it's not total proof, but it does lead more weight to the argument that Legolas had golden-hair. But I have got as far as the Spiders and still no more female characters. Looks like it might have to be Bellodonna - an interesting name - Took in flashback.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really couldn't care less. The story's silly to start with.
You really don't care for TH?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
Another thing is that I noticed in the text that it did say that the Elvenking in Mirkwood did have golden hair. Now I know it's not total proof, but it does lead more weight to the argument that Legolas had golden-hair.
With zero mention of it? Other way around, I'd say.
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

quote:
You really don't care for TH?
I really don't.
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
I don't have a problem with Legolas being depicted as blonde, but those who argue that he was most likely dark haired have a very strong argument.
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's been discussed to death, but since its the current point here, I prefer the notion of a dark-haired Legolas, mostly for the fact that the arguments for his being fair-haired are based primarily on Tolkien's description of "the Elvenking" in The Hobbit, who at which time was not even the fully fleshed-out Thranduil of his later writings, but a generic "woodland king," one whose generic description Tolkien likely did not put that much thought to. He probably just liked the sound and romance of "a woodland king with a crown of leaves upon his golden hair," which rolls off the page and tongue more easily than "a crown of leaves upon his black hair." []

Likewise, when he fit Legolas into Mirkwood, I don't think he had much of a thought for golden hair either way, otherwise he would have made a fuss about it, as he's so fond of doing with golden haired people wherever they appear in his tale. That's not to say I believe Tolkien saw Legolas with specifically dark hair either (though the description of his dark head against the stars in contrast to golden-haired Galadriel looking "pale" against he night certainly seems to suggest it).

In all truth, I don't think Legolas had an actual hair color as far as Tolkien was concerned. I doubt he thought much of it, as I believe Legolas's part in The Lord of the Rings is less about individual character and more about the symbolic representation of a race. I never hear anyone asking what color Gimli's hair was! Was it ever mentioned? I can't think of it. (And why is it always depicted as red?!) I don't think hair color was an issue for Tolkien with either of these characters, as it seems both Gimli and Legolas serve a unique though similar purpose, to represent the conflict and eventual resolution between elves and dwarves, and are not for the purpose of having additional and individual characterizations, when there are already quite enough.

As far as I'm concerned, hair color for either of these characters is kind of moot, and I've never quite understood the obsession with Legolas's hair color as opposed to Gimli's. Kind of silly, really. []

[ 01-12-2008, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Archer ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
Likewise, when he fit Legolas into Mirkwood, I don't think he had much of a thought for golden hair either way, otherwise he would have made a fuss about it, as he's so fond of doing with golden haired people wherever they appear in his tale. That's not to say I believe Tolkien saw Legolas with specifically dark hair either (though the description of his dark head against the stars in contrast to golden-haired Galadriel looking "pale" against he night certainly seems to suggest it).
Wait on there-- Galadriel was in Lórien where there were lots of lights, while Legolas was on the river far away from any lights other than the stars behind him, leaving him silhouetted against them:

quote:
Frodo looked up at the Elf standing tall above him, as he gazed into the night, seeking a mark to shoot at. His head was dark, crowned with sharp white stars that glittered in the black pools of the sky behind.
quote:

In all truth, I don't think Legolas had an actual hair color as far as Tolkien was concerned. I doubt he thought much of it, as I believe Legolas's part in The Lord of the Rings is less about individual character and more about the symbolic representation of a race.

Then his hair-color would have been implied, i.e. the same as most Elves who didn't have golden hair. Elrond, like Arwen was described as having very dark hair, but he was a Númenorean kinsman.

quote:
I never hear anyone asking what color Gimli's hair was! Was it ever mentioned? I can't think of it. (And why is it always depicted as red?!)

Because that lends credence to his being depicted with a Celtic dialect! []

quote:
I don't think hair color was an issue for Tolkien with either of these characters, as it seems both Gimli and Legolas serve a unique though similar purpose, to represent the conflict and eventual resolution between elves and dwarves, and are not for the purpose of having additional and individual characterizations, when there are already quite enough.

And therefore their hair-color would be generic, i.e. the same as most of their races.

quote:
As far as I'm concerned, hair color for either of these characters is kind of moot, and I've never quite understood the obsession with Legolas's hair color as opposed to Gimli's. Kind of silly, really.

Not really, for the reasons you just stated: by giving them an unusual hair-color, they're made to stand out when they're clearly NOT supposed to.

[ 01-12-2008, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Archer are you suggesting that Gimli could have been blonde? [] I don't know if there is any textual evidence against this! Can't think of any off-hand! Be a surprise if the film of the Hobbit showed some of the Dwarves as blonde!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Female characters in the hobbit (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help