Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Female characters in the hobbit (Page 1)
Author Topic: Female characters in the hobbit
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it looks like the film of the Hobbit is about to be made. However, we have a slight problem. Namely the certain lack of Female characters in the book. Bascially, there isn't any. Unless Lobellia counts!
But fear not, I have a suggestion. Inspiried by the fellowship film, I do have to admit. Suggestion is, why not make some of the 12 Dwarfs in the company female? But I'm not sure which ones. My initial suggestion would be Ori.
Does anyone else think which of the Dwarfs could be women?

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
posted      Profile for Ederchil   Email Ederchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to be a golden rule these days, every story must have a woman, and very few without women gain big money (I can only think of Saving Private Ryan). All Beowulf-movies were screwed up because there had to be a woman in it.

I've read one discussion whether Thorin should be female or not, but the arguments were just PC vs JRRT. While we're at it, why not insert some black dwarves too?

From: Groningen, the Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And maybe Thorin and Balin could be a little bit more than 'just good friends' []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We've twice or more had trivia questions in the Hobbit forum asking about all the female characters mentioned. And there are as many as eight, I think! (not even counting the spiders)

None of these, unfortunately, ever appear directly in the story. So unless they resort to heavy use of flashbacks I wouldn't be very surprised to see some new female characters added.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

If any of the dwarves were to suddenly be revealed as female then the most obvious choice would be to make one of the twins a girl; but which one, Fili or Kili? []

[ 12-23-2007, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And let's not forget that female Dwarves have beard []
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

quote:
And let's not forget that female Dwarves have beard
And not just on their chins either! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, it looks like the film of the Hobbit is about to be made. However, we have a slight problem. Namely the certain lack of Female characters in the book. Bascially, there isn't any. Unless Lobellia counts!
But fear not, I have a suggestion. Inspiried by the fellowship film, I do have to admit. Suggestion is, why not make some of the 12 Dwarfs in the company female?

Because to begin with, there were 13 Dwarves; I like it fine the way it is. However knowing PJ he'll make it Gloín; but if you're itching for females, I say make the three trolls into Philippa, Fran and Peter.

[ 12-23-2007, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unless Lobellia counts!
Actually, as someone once pointed out to me, even Lobelia is not mentioned by name in The Hobbit. There are just a couple of general references to the Sackville- Bagginses.

Still, of course Lobelia should count. No bias here at all, of course.

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Thorin should be played by a black actor, depending on casting, availablity etc. He's really quite an interesting character to play. I don't know if one could do that and make it canon, I'm afraid to say that the Hobbit is one piece of Tolkien's legendum that I don't posses and I really can't remember if all of the Dwarves skin-colour was described in the text! Suppose I could ask for a copy of the Hobbit for Christmas!
I even got the number of Dwarves wrong! I know that Bilbo was a lucky 14, but I don't know if Gandalf counted as a member of that company or not.

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6104
posted      Profile for Eldarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No way should you make any of the dwarves other then what they were in the text. The book was successful as it is, and there is no reason anyone that read the book should want a change, nor should the producers cater to all the politically correct people, feminists, and Jesse Jackson.
From: Washington (not D.C.) | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You could say the same for LotR but the Wingnuts changed all the major characters nonetheless.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that Thorin should be played by a black actor,
Wow. Making male Dwarves female, and now black; I guess Whoopi Goldberg would be perfect.

Now in addition to messing with the Dwarvs, let's make Snow White a king who gets rescued by a princess-- and it's got Peter Jackson written all over it.

quote:
I even got the number of Dwarves wrong! I know that Bilbo was a lucky 14, but I don't know if Gandalf counted as a member of that company or not.
I said there were 13 Dwarves-- was Gandalf a Dwarf?

The Dwarves were Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, and Thorin Oakenshield.

[ 12-25-2007, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6104
Yeah I doubt PJ would ruin the story that much. But what makes me unhappy is reading these dumb people's posts online about why having Aragorn as a major character would be great. It wouldn't. It's the Hobbit, and noone associates the Hobbit with Aragorn.
From: Washington (not D.C.) | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
posted      Profile for Ederchil   Email Ederchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, he was 10. It's the Hobbit, not the Last Legion.
I've read an "Aragorns younger years" plot idea too, but it was the second movie they talked about. You know, that utterly ridiculous "Let's make even more money"-one.

From: Groningen, the Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
You mean "let's pimp a dead horse."

quote:
Yeah I doubt PJ would ruin the story that much.
That's what I thought when I read the internet-reports about exactly what PJ did to LotR, before the movie came out.
'Nuff said.

quote:
But what makes me unhappy is reading these dumb people's posts online about why having Aragorn as a major character would be great. It wouldn't. It's the Hobbit, and noone associates the Hobbit with Aragorn.
YET.

[ 12-26-2007, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but after Bilbo's adventure, the Rangers protected the Shire in secret. That leaves the door wide open for one of PJ's "wrap it up with a tidy little bow and crush you over the head with it" moments when Bilbo meets Aragorn and foreshadows LotR. I smell cameo! []
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6104
Well now that he's lost weight I'm sure he thinks he can play Aragorn. []
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe film-Legolas will have a film-Legolass, even prettier than the Blooms in her Blooming garden, and she will say many lovely things in made up Elvish to him, as their love Blooms.
Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps PJ will get Dis some screen time in the Hobbit, at least she exists.

I found a pic of her on Google, it's a little cartoony but this is a PJ production after all so I don't think it would deter him much...
 -
The casting of Paris to play Dis is obvious, don't 'cha think? []

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Where is her beard ? []
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Judging from the photos of her with Britney, I'd guess she had it waxed. []
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Then again, Wiki, Bilbo wasn't a Dwarf either. Although he was a bit short! But I think he counted as a member of the company. I suppose if we're been politically correct, one shouldn't really call Dwarves, Dwarves anyway. And I'm told they can get a bit aggressive if annoyed. It should be the 13 vertically challenged people []
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
After what he did to Gimli, I really don't think "short jokes" are the type of political-correctness that bothers's PJ a whole lot (as if the runt has head-room to talk...)

quote:
The casting of Paris to play Dis is obvious, don't 'cha think?
I got someone FAR more appropriate:

-

[ 12-28-2007, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Ok, I am currently treating myself and re-reading the Hobbit. First time I've done that for ages, but I thought I'd treat myself. I shall keep people abrest of how many female characters I have come across. So far, I have actually found one. Belledonna Took, of course, does get a mention in the first book. And been the Took relative of Bilbo, one can assume that she was quite influencial in his character.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Female characters in the hobbit (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help