Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » PJ Banned From The Hobbit ! (Page 8)
Author Topic: PJ Banned From The Hobbit !
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PJ Banned from the Hobbit!
Apparently not.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really think the Tolkien Estate will let PJ near the good professor's manuscripts after the glaring liberties he took when filming LotR? []
And heaven help us if they decide to film some sort of Silmarillion with PJ & Co calling the shots! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see how he squares his LotR with the Silmarillion.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Oh he'll pull something out of his butt and claim either:
1- It was what the good professor really intended []

or,

2- His version is better []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the hideous Sauron that fooled everyone-- and the bland, dead-eyed Elves would fit right in with the stupid bumpkin hobbits.
"Elrond the jerk" should be good too.

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

I wonder if PJ will have the giggling, singing elves at Rivendell smoking weed to explain their giggling? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jackson borrowed from Tolkien's notes for LOTR to build the story he wanted. He will do so again for The Hobbit.
[] Too bad he didn't borrow more than just the names of characters and places. Kinda ironic that according to the link, PJ dug deeper into the legendarium only to produce a much more shallow ME.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wetwang wrote:
quote:
Do you really think the Tolkien Estate will let PJ near the good professor's manuscripts after the glaring liberties he took when filming LotR?
No, I don't, for one.

I should point out though that there is a difference between the material that is in Marquette in the States and that which is in the Bodleian in Oxford in the UK. The Estate doesn't control who has access to the Marquette papers. These are basically the manuscripts of LotR and Hobbit, thus the material that Christopher used for The History of The Lord of the Rings (HoMe VI-IX.1) and part of HoMe XII and Rateliff used for The History of The Hobbit. I think it quite likely that PJ, or rather one of his fellow stooges, will have studied those papers for anything useful.

That the Estate doesn't control access to the papers at Marquette doesn't mean that they don't control copyright - you can't publish from what you see there. But as NewLine, through Zaentz, have movie rights to those two books, they don't need any further permission to use those materials.

But there is no Silmarillion or Númenor (Akallabêth) material there, and I don't believe for one second that PJ has got, or will get, any access to that material which is at the Bodleian. After Michael Drout was there to look at the Beowulf material, access to the Tolkien papers in the Bodleian has been restricted to very few people. PJ or any of his entourage are not among them.

And then, PJ, or NewLine, or Zaentz, do not have movie rights to any Silmarillion or Akkalabêth material that is not quoted in LotR or Hobbit.

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
Too bad he didn't borrow more than just the names of characters and places. Kinda ironic that according to the link, PJ dug deeper into the legendarium only to produce a much more shallow ME.
No it's not ironic, it's abominable since he simply leeched details so he could claim he was more "true to the story--" which is like saying a box containing a few disconnected pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, is true to the picture on it just because you toss in a few more, while being otherwise full of Smurf-trinkets.

Leeching more details only deepens the distortion.

[ 12-15-2007, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jackson borrowed from Tolkien's notes for LOTR to build the story he wanted. He will do so again for The Hobbit.
What in Ungoliant did PJ borrow? I am pretty familiar with HOME 6-8 : the drafts for LOTR. I don't see anything of it in the movies! "To have access" and "to read" are different things: I doubt PJ has ever read HOME, much less borrowed something from there. []

[ 12-15-2007, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Ulairë Gordis ]

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Who is this guy "Two Story Dorey"? Sounds a bit dodgy to me, and looks like some of his responders think so too.

But if he's telling the truth, then are we to believe The Hobbit will not only be a two-part film showcasing PJ's usual over-bloated story telling, making up and padding out arbitrarily as the wind takes him, but will also be filmed in 3-D? [] Sounds pretty tacky and tasteless, and once again, like it's been pointed out before, PJ seems to see it from the standpoint of the garish extras and special effects first, then tries to hammer in the story to fit afterwards.

Even if he's not doing The Hobbit 3-D, this old interview seems to suggest that PJ does want a 2-part Hobbit film, as much as he wants to do away with the more whimsical charms of The Hobbit, and make it into something of "another Lord of the Rings"--elaborating and focusing on Gandalf and Sauron, so that, essentially, it becomes no longer The Hobbit, which I guess is fine because according to him it's too much of a "simple" "kid's book" anyway. [] Yep. . . Never mind that his "LotR for Dummies" was chiefly aimed at 10-12 years olds, and actually has less complexity than The Hobbit's original text.

Funny thing is that he seems to say (formatting's a bit weird but looks like it) that he would like to have Aragorn back for The Hobbit, perhaps seen "protecting the Shire." Great, a ten-year-old Ranger in charge of hobbits. [] Viggo's gonna have to shave a bit closer for this one I guess.

[ 12-16-2007, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Archer ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
But that's good, because that way at least Viggo's height might be right for once (closer, anyway); remember "Lord Faarquar" Mortenson had to stand on a BOX even to be as tall as "Elsie" Tyler!
(watch his feet, obviously hovering above the ground balancing on several phone-books):
 -

(So much for Aragorn being "Tall as the Sea-kings of old;" more like replacing the name "Strider" with toddler.).

quote:
Even if he's not doing The Hobbit 3-D, this old interview seems to suggest that PJ does want a 2-part Hobbit film, as much as he wants to do away with the more whimsical charms of The Hobbit,
PJ considers sophistocated humor to be "stuffy snobbery" don't you know... compared to the good plain humor of stupid, belching Dwarves walking into arrows.
If PJ can do that with one Dwarf, then 13 must be 13 times as funny, right?

quote:
and make it into something of "another Lord of the Rings"--elaborating and focusing on Gandalf and Sauron

I hope not, he makes Gandalf look like Grampa Simpson (which is about as close to "Homer" as PJ will ever get)... and seeing Homer's dad chase a giant red eyeball out of the woods is more than I can bear, short of Aragorn getting a sword in his face by A&É.

quote:
essentially, it becomes no longer The Hobbit, which I guess is fine because according to him it's too much of a "simple" "kid's book" anyway. Yep. . . Never mind that his "LotR for Dummies" was chiefly aimed at 10-12 years olds, and actually has less complexity than The Hobbit's original text.

Indeed, but then PJ's an authority on dummies, being the world's most notorious; Frodo's scene in the Barrow was very much like Bilbo's experience with the spiders, where both of them had to experience fighting on their own with no one to help them, to save their friends.
But instead Frodo is completely helpless, both at Weathertop, the Ford, and everywhere else.
(Oh yeah, he fights Gollum at Mount Doom, which did happen in the book... but only AFTER the Ring is taken, which didn't.

Bilbo will probably be similarly helpless... like with Frodo at Rivendell where he turns into a real creep.

[ 12-17-2007, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bilbo will probably be similarly helpless...

No problem, PJ will make Snow-White ...err, I meant Arwen ...come and save him and the Dwarves []

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(So much for Aragorn being "Tall as the Sea-kings of old;" more like replacing the name "Strider" with toddler.)

Maybe after all that serious research into Tolkien's notes, PJ just wanted in some manner to be true to Tolkien's original vision, and reverted Strider to his original hobbit form of Trotter. Hey?
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
That's about the size of it!

I just wonder what he would do for the trolls, which PJ made into screaming naked blobs resembling giant frogs:

-

Rather, Tolkien drew and described them simply as huge, brutish man-like creatures that more resembled British ne'er-do-wells.

Here's a nice pic of how they should look:

-

Shouldn't be hard to find live-actors to play them... even on staff:
 -

Definitely more a troll than an Arwen!

[ 12-18-2007, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad PJ wasn't banned. He's really rubbing in his revisionism this time around.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly does seem to be that the deviations get greater with every movie. By the time the Bo5a comes around, I dread to think what we will see! Very little of the Hobbit Tolkien tale, I suspect. I've even heard rumours it won't even be five armies!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Elves won't be there. They are too busy at Helm's Deep.
#neverforget
[] [] []

[ 10-17-2013, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only person who thinks the Battle of Five Armies was shoved in as an after-thought in the first place? It's about as contrived as the tracker appearing in Twilight IMO.

I have no real objection to either event but they do both come across as a little forced to me. As I appear to be comparing JRRT and Stephanie Meyer, perhaps I should run away now... []

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to have heard that before, but IMO it works. We'll see how well it'll work in the adaptation though.

PS: just for you [] , the Honest Trailers for the Twilight franchise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gugBiEkLwU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoLXRErjzco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnYPqippKVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvo5_Zi-Yxs

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll pass on those vids, Tigranes. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But they're great. There's one for the Hobbit, and one for LotR, as well.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Debatable. []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

On 11 January 2007 at 6:00AM, White Gold Wielder said:
quote:
PJ Banned From The Hobbit!
Sadly this was not the case. []

[ 01-31-2014, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » PJ Banned From The Hobbit ! (Page 8)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help