Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » PJ Banned From The Hobbit ! (Page 7)
Author Topic: PJ Banned From The Hobbit !
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh.My.God! A thousand Gimli wannabes bearing their butts at the orc hoards! []
From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
They'd win the war-- without the fight.

[ 10-25-2007, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
LotR only earning 1/3 of HP is a pretty good reason NOT to hire PJ.
To you, maybe - again, the odds that the Hobbit producers will view it this way are close to zero. A 1,500% return will almost certainly look very good to them, as opposed to trying someone else and risking a flop (even if, in theory, an even greater return is made possible).

In other words, what Madomir said.

I don't want PJ to do it either, but unless the feud or some other reason prevents it, I would bet that it would be him.

[ 10-26-2007, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LotR only earning 1/3 of HP is a pretty good reason NOT to hire PJ.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To you, maybe - again, the odds that the Hobbit producers will view it this way are close to zero. A 1,500% return will almost certainly look very good to them, as opposed to trying someone else and risking a flop (even if, in theory, an even greater return is made possible).

In other words, what Madomir said.

I don't want PJ to do it either, but unless the feud or some other reason prevents it, I would bet that it would be him.

First of all, I dispute the 1500% figure; LotR cost $300 million to produce, so this would imply a $4.5 billion return; this is what HP made.

However you are, sadly, all too right the Hobbit's producers, since they tend to be short-sighted when it comes to fast-food flicks-- as LotR proves.

However if they want a bigger turnover guaranteed, then it would be prudent to simply hire the HP producers.

[ 10-27-2007, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
According to Box Office Mojo, the worldwide box office take for the three movies is $2.9 billion. The Wikipedia article on The Return of the King states:
quote:
It has been estimated that the gross income from [DVD] and merchandise has been at least equal to the box office for all three films.
So an estimated $6 billion total revenues, on an investment of $426 million (including marketing; this figure is also from the Wiki article) = 1,410%. Not bad.

E: Btw, that Box Office Mojo site says that the worldwide box office take for the 5 Harry Potter movies is $4.5 billion - more than the $2.9 billion for the trilogy, but nowhere near three times more. The LotR trilogy made an average of $972 million per movie, versus $872 million per movie for HP.

[ 10-27-2007, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
When I said three times more, I was projecting the success of the two future HP films as well.

I'd also be careful about tabulating the "per movie" figures, since it simply overlooks the blunder of releasing the work in fewer films than optimum; one could easily make the HP series as fewer than seven films as well, but it wouldn't be very profitable.

LotR was written as six books, not three.

Sadly, however, you're right that the penny-wise Hollywood pimp-machine will simply credit Jackson for the ROI, while pound-foolishly blaming Tolkien for the missed opportunity cost.

[ 10-27-2007, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Yeah, I didn't see your original post (about all 7 HP movies) at first.

Well let's hope they don't resolve the feud then.

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
I hope they do: againstPJ... unless you want to see Legolas shooting goblins-- while surfing on an eagle.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't mind see that, actually, the odd Elven archer atop of an eagle!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Well he did surf a shield, a hoard of orcs, a troll, and an Oliphaunt- why not an Eagle?

(This is what even a loon like Gary Gygax called "abusing special skills--" kinda like Aragorn using his "Level 12 Ranger tracking-skills" to be able to read a play-by-play of everything that Merry and Pippin did in a battle-trampled field).

PJ: "Well, Elves can walk on snow and tightropes, so I figure...."

Don't figure, Pete; just shut up and go away. Very far, and very quickly, please.

[ 10-28-2007, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Peter_20
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6368
posted      Profile for Peter_20   Email Peter_20   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I once heard about someone who wished Jim Carrey as the actor for Tulkas.

...Let's hope that this person doesn't work at New Line Cinema.

[ 10-29-2007, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Peter_20 ]

From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
That's the Silmarillion, not The Hobbit.
As for Jim Carrey, he'd make a good Master of Lake-Town, but that's about it.

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Have either of you seen "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"? Let us give credit where credit is due?
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for Jim Carrey, he'd make a good Master of Lake-Town, but that's about it.
He could've done a great Gollum. []

Actually I agree with Neytari , Carrey has evolved well beyond the over acting Ace Ventura type roles. He could do a great job in a wide variety of parts at this stage of his career. He's still the best goofball goin' but he's not limited to that by any means. And his girlfriend's pretty hot too. []

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Please, Carey did for the Grinch, what Meyers did for Cat in the Hat; but it was poetic justice in giving Dr. Seuss got his just desserts for his pro-war propoganda cartoons.

I'd never want him anywhere near a serious movie-- any more than Adam Sandler.

[ 10-29-2007, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You don't like Jim Carey either?? I admit the Grinch sucked but he's fantastic... well whatever, add him to the list.. Jim Carey sucks, you hate Dr.Suess, PJ blows, well ok that one's legit [] .. wasn't it Kate Winslet that you called a sea cow?? [] Damn what's next fella? You gonna tell us the Red Hot Chili Peppers stink too? Sacriledge!!! [] []

[ 10-30-2007, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't answer my question: Did you see "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"? "The Truman Show"? The underappreciated "Man on the Moon"? Don't judge him by his worst movies or his older ones; go by his best and more recent efforts (though I haven't heard good things about "The Number 23", true).

[ 11-22-2007, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Carrey could do a role as an Elf. He can act.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6104
posted      Profile for Eldarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One person that definitely shouldn't be on the crew is Philippa Boyens. Can't stand her one bit.
From: Washington (not D.C.) | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Today, Halloween, is PJ's birthday.
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At least he doesn't need a costume.
From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Unless he's going as a human.

quote:
You don't like Jim Carey either?? I admit the Grinch sucked but he's fantastic... well whatever, add him to the list.. Jim Carey sucks, you hate Dr.Suess, PJ blows, well ok that one's legit .. wasn't it Kate Winslet that you called a sea cow??
No, others said it... I just agreed she's too fat to play Arwen.
As for Jim Carey, he's not exactly famous for his straight-acting.

[ 10-31-2007, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, "The Number 23" was actually really awesome. Jim Carrey CAN act in dramatic roles, and very well! [] BUT having said that, I wouldn't want him anywhere near a Tolkien movie.

Kate Winslet. []

Elijah Wood. [] []

Oooo, I want James McAvoy to play young Bilbo! []
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Why do you think elves aren't fat? They are supposed to be gorgeous, you know.

I second James as Bilbo []

[ 11-22-2007, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Elijah Wood? B-movie material, at best.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » PJ Banned From The Hobbit ! (Page 7)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help