Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » PJ Banned From The Hobbit ! (Page 1)
Author Topic: PJ Banned From The Hobbit !
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In a small victory for justice and purists everywhere, this news came down the flume today...

http://movies.ign.com/articles/754/754322p1.html
quote:
Jackson Banned From Hobbit
New Line chief blacklists director.
by Stax
January 10, 2007 - New Line Cinema honcho Bob Shaye has gone on record blasting Oscar-winning director Peter Jackson and banning the Lord of The Rings helmer from ever working at New Line again, which includes directing The Hobbit.

Jackson has an outstanding lawsuit against New Line over its accounting practices, with the director believing he is owed millions more from the blockbuster franchise. "I do not want to make a movie with somebody who is suing me," Shaye declared to SciFi.com. "It will never happen during my watch."

Shaye continued, "He got a quarter of a billion dollars paid to him so far, justifiably, according to contract, completely right, and this guy, who already has received a quarter of a billion dollars, turns around without wanting to have a discussion with us and sues us and refuses to discuss it unless we just give in to his plan. I don't want to work with that guy anymore. Why would I? So the answer is he will never make any movie with New Line Cinema again while I'm still working for the company."

Although Jackson officially announced in November that New Line would not let him direct The Hobbit, fans had felt there was still hope that the impasse could be overcome. New Line's public blacklisting of Jackson would seem to be the final nail in that coffin.

New Line is partnered with MGM on The Hobbit, with the latter studio owning the distribution rights to the project. New Line only has a limited period of time in which to make the film, at which point MGM and producer Saul Zaentz can make their own moves. Zaentz has gone on record saying that he wants Jackson to direct The Hobbit. That seems to be the only way for the film to get made with Jackson at the helm but it would likely have to wait several years given the director's full slate.

New Line, meanwhile, could fast-track production on The Hobbit with another director at the helm. Indeed, it was reported in September that The Hobbit was on the studio's slate for a July 2007 start date. No new director or writer has been officially announced by New Line so that start date appears unlikely.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is great news!!!
[]

I just hope MGM sees that it is more important to get the film made sooner without PJ than to wait and dump NewLine.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fireworks! No PJ, at least we have a chance of getting a good hobbit. At least, let's hope that the new director does better. []
From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OH. MY. GODS. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Okay, I'll laugh. []
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Everything will be all better now that PJ has been banned from Middle Earth forever, never to torment us again.
From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah right. Like you won't be saying exactly the same thing with the next director that comes along. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
OH. MY. GODS.
Gods??.. plural??.. Methinks I detect the influence of the Goddess Arien []

You know I'd have a better feeling about this "ban" if it were for philosophical rather than financial reasons. I see nothing there that implies that New Line thinks PJ did a bad job which leads me to believe (fear?) that the next director will be hired because NL feels he/she will do a similar job with the prequel.

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. . .So the answer is he will never make any movie with New Line Cinema again while I'm still working for the company. . . ."
Ahahaha! [] I can't decide if that news is more wonderful or more funny. *rolls on the floor laughing at PJ*

quote:
You know I'd have a better feeling about this "ban" if it were for philosophical rather than financial reasons. I see nothing there that implies that New Line thinks PJ did a bad job which leads me to believe (fear?) that the next director will be hired because NL feels he/she will do a similar job with the prequel.
I have to agree with Maddy. It would be much more fitting (and encouraging) if PJ's sins were seen as more than monetary. It would take a producer/director wholly unlike PJ in order to get a less adolescent interpretion (and no, even a children's story should not be dumbed down to a kiddie presentation). With the only chance the purists now have of seeing Tolkien done right, it would be a real tragedy to just end up with a PJ fanboi/imitator at the helm. bleh.

[ 01-11-2007, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Archer ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
That's right; however we do have the advantage of a fairly good precedent-version of The Hobbit by Rankin-Bass-- whereas PJ was only an improvement in comparison to the other RB (which, sadly, could only be an improvement).

If the new director can't even improve on a cartoon, I'd be sadly disappointed indeed (though it would be difficult to top John Houston as Gandalf-- who also had experience in doing a pretty good Noah).

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in seeing someone new do it. I've seen Jackson's work. Now I want to see someone else take a shot.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm absolutley hoping for a new director - one that does not stray from the book for no particular reason. Now, this does not mean that WETA can't do the costumes, settings and visual effects. They were fine. Just don't give me another "not-true-to-the-book-new-cliffhanger-every-5-minutes-director, that's all.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just don't give me another "not-true-to-the-book-new-cliffhanger-every-5-minutes-director, that's all.
Good luck with that.

Seriously, I mean....I hate to say this but with New Line at the helm wanting another box office hit...you're unlikely to get someone better than Jackson.

however, the Hobbit is a much easier book to tackle. It's shorter, obviously. There are a lot of characters but it still focuses on Bilbo's point of view and how he interprets his "adventure." That makes it a lot easier. I could see someone like Alfonso Cuarón maybe doing it (because the Hobbit, while originally told to children, has its dark moments for sure). But it would have to be someone who was a fantasy nerd...someone who had read the book growing up and has more familiarity than some big wig director coming to it the first time. I could honestly see Tim Burton doing a good job with it, but I could see if people wouldn't want him to do it, because he has a definite certain style.

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Let us put aside our differences, join hands, and pray to the cinema gods (or whoever you like to pray to) to keep Michael Bay and Joel Schumacher FAR FAR FAR AWAY!!! (feel free to add to the list as we go around the circle)

I wouldn't mind seeing the fellow who directed the Narnia film give it a shot. We've already seen that he can be a masterful director in both comedy and serious fantasy depending on what the situation calls for. Additionally, I think he would respect the original trilogy enough to keep the continuity going, and he has ties to the people who created the look of the original. Yes, I think if we can't have Peter Jackson, Andrew Adamson is the best choice.

Here's to Peter, the best fantasy trilogy of all time, "The Lovely Bones," and hopes for the uncertain future *raises glass*

quote:
I see nothing there that implies that New Line thinks PJ did a bad job...
Ur, duh? They made millions of dollars and swept the Acadamy Awards. In studio talk that means "These Were Good Movies And The Director Did A Good Job..."

quote:
...which leads me to believe (fear?) that the next director will be hired because NL feels he/she will do a similar job with the prequel.
"...Thus We Should Find Someone Who Will Follow In His Footsteps." *fingers crossed*
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here's to Peter, the best fantasy trilogy of all time, "The Lovely Bones," and hopes for the uncertain future *raises glass*
I don't get how Star Wars fits into the discussion. []
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ur, duh? They made millions of dollars and swept the Acadamy Awards. In studio talk that means "These Were Good Movies And The Director Did A Good Job..."
Ooo.. You were sooo close and then missed the target completely.. the correct translation in studio speak is "These Were Profitable Movies And The Director Made Us A Boatload Of Money..."

it's not quite the same thing...

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I knew you'd say that, Dread Pirate Roberts. Actually, I thought Wiki would, but you beat him to the punch.

"These Were Profitable Movies And The Director Made Us A Boatload Of Money..." translates to "These Were Good Movies And The Director Did A Good Job..." I just skipped a step. Lots of moola tends to = "Good Movie" to these guys.

[ 01-12-2007, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But it would have to be someone who was a fantasy nerd...someone who had read the book growing up and has more familiarity than some big wig director coming to it the first time.
Well it didn't help PJ make a very worthy rendition. []

I'm sorry, but the director needs to be anything but a fantasy nerd. This is more likely what PJ's problem was. He approached the text like it was just another one of his Sunday afternoon D&D sessions.

The text has far more in common with classic literature than it does fantasy nerd fare, and it would take a director who is grown up enough to present a film with all the sober meaning and subtley of the original. It would take a director who has an understanding of literature as well as film, and a respect for an audience's intelligence. And that is about a clear 180 from Mr. Jackson.

quote:
Lots of moola tends to = "Good Movie" to these guys.
Yes, that's exactly the problem. To most studios, art is not an issue. Whatever is loud and blaring and overdone enough to capture the attention of most film-goers just long enough to plunk down some money is all most care about. Whether the presentation is actually "good" or artful or respectful is seldom a consideration for many studios -- which is why Mr. Jackson may have been the right man to give NL and its voracious audiences all the McCrap they can gorge themselves on, but the wrong man to try to translate a classic and highly artful story into something with the meaning and import of the original.

Really, all he did was make the sublime into the sensational, the poignant into the maudlin, and the witty into the baudy and overt. So tell me again how this is a good thing?

Let's hope from now on the film powers that be will keep these unique and intelligent texts out of the grungy hands of the PJ-oids, thanks.

[ 01-12-2007, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Archer ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Who would you like to direct The Hobbit, Archer?
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Someone who's actually seen war and travel, character-growth and change-- as well as a good deal of education; i.e. someone who understands the viewpoint of the author, rather than simple arrested adolescence in a fantasy-world who just fakes it.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Namely who?
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It would take a director who has an understanding of literature as well as film
Again. Good luck with that.

Why don't you and Wiki meet up and double-direct it. I'd like to see that.

I wanna see some art instead of all you talking about it, dammit. So make it.

edited for this gem of idealism:
quote:
Let's hope from now on the film powers
Yeah...keep hoping....

You know why all those "artsy" movies get made? They're low budget. And they can be low budget because there's not a whole world to recreate. It's set in the real world. Sure, a fantasy movie can be done on a low scale....BBC has done some amazing adaptations of period pieces and they don't have a crazy a$$ budget. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the people who make the really artsy, quirky, independent movies (like Wes Anderson, etc) are more likely to read literary fiction and stay far far away from the fantasy genre. Sure, Tolkien has more in line with older styles of writing than modern writing (of course, since he pretty much set the modern fantasy genre going), but even he....he's not the best writer of all time. In fact, there are a lot of problems with Tolkien's writing (too wordy, too descriptive, etc.) He's not O'Henry Prize winning material. That doesn't bother me but those independent movie goer-movie maker types....I dunno....at least in the older generation, don't seem to me like they're avid readers of Tolkien. They may have read it once, sure, but aren't as into it and probably less inclined to want to make a movie about it. In fact, I wouldn't want them too. Because they'd just put their own spin on it like everybody else.

[ 01-13-2007, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*notices how WiKi answered a question directed at Archer as if it were spoken to him*
*marks another point in the column 'Archer is WiKi's sock puppet'*
Not quite enough to outweigh that little piece of nastiness about feminism and chauvinism, but we'll see. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Don't say we have come now to the end; White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
Across the sea a pale moon rising; the ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass; A light on the water
Grey Ships pass into the West.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In a small victory for justice and purists everywhere, this news came down the flume today...
Yeah, I agree. It wasn't as if New Line was some bastion of authenticity for the book, either. Too bad it's really only about the nickels and dimes and not an indictment of Jackson's hackery...
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
Archer's been here longer than Wiki, Lyra. So even if they were the same person Wiki would be the puppet (or clone if you prefer). Archer's the real deal. Think what you want of Wiki and I'll understand, but Archer is a respected citizen of the white city. She's been here longer than both Wiki and yourself. She's no Wiki.
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really think so; it's just that occasionally I'm given cause to wonder.
Didn't even look at the citizen numbers; silly of me, and I apologize.

Although looking around at other threads, I know I'm not the only one ever to wonder if WiKi is used to express Archer's nastier thoughts.
Sometimes.
I wasn't the first one to float this theory. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Don't say we have come now to the end; White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
Across the sea a pale moon rising; the ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass; A light on the water
Grey Ships pass into the West.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » PJ Banned From The Hobbit ! (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help