Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » 'Gondorians' or 'Gondorrim'?
Author Topic: 'Gondorians' or 'Gondorrim'?
SonofWesternesse
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11354
posted      Profile for SonofWesternesse   Email SonofWesternesse   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is not so much a question about the languages but about the terminology. So, if I recall from the Lord of the Rings book, there is never any demonym used for the inhabitants of Gondor, other than 'Men of Gondor'. Now, in the supplementary materials to the Lord of the Rings movies, they are referred to as 'Gondorians'. This, I think, does not really fit with the terminology for groups of people established in Tolkien's languages. Now, I am no expert, so bear with me.

The folk of Caras Galadhon are the Galadhrim.

The folk of Rohan are the Rohirrim.

So, shouldn't the folk of Gondor be the Gondorrim?

What's your opinion on the proper demonym? Gondorians or Gondorrim?

Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien uses 'a guard of Gondorians' in Cirion and Eorl, for instance (Unfinished Tales).

For another example, I don't agree with anglicizing just any word with -s, even though JRRT himself doesn't always use the Elvish plural -- noting his use of Balrogs, Silmarils, instead of Balrogath, Silmarilli.

In general I usually consider what Tolkien chose to write as proper, though certainly there's plenty of Neo-elvish out there that goes beyond adding -rim to a Sindarin form.

[ 06-13-2011, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Galin ]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » 'Gondorians' or 'Gondorrim'?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help