Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Laocoon, an Elvish word?
Author Topic: Laocoon, an Elvish word?
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Laocoon was what the Good Professor named his favourite tree in Oxford Botanical Gardens, a black pine (Pinus Nigra).
Is this name an Elvish word and if so what does it mean? []

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
The theory seems to be: the convoluted shape of the tree reminded Tolkien of a sculpture...

http://www.idcrome.org/laocoon.htm

But I can't find more on the matter at the moment. I don't think we have an Elvish word here anyway.

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
and here I was going to tell a joke about a Laotian raccoon. []
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's the name of a character from Greek mythology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laocoon

And looking at the sculpture "Laocoon and His Sons" and pictures of the black pine, I can see how the twisted shape of the pine's trunk may have made Tolkien think of the sculpture.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In Greek legend, Laoköon was a Trojan priest who warned his fellow citizens not to trust the 'present' of the Trojan Horse. Hence the phrase: 'I fear the Greeks, even bearing gifts', or Timeo Danaos et donna ferentes in Latin, as it is often encountered. One of the gods who hated Troy (Poseidon, I think) sent serpents to kill Laoköon and his sons. The Trojans misinterpreted this event and took the Horse into the city, and so were destroyed when the warriors concealed inside issued forth in the night.

There is a Hellenistic statue of L and his two young sons in the coils of the serpents, which was famous in antiquity because of the virtuosity of its marble carving. It caused a sensation when it was rediscoverd during the Italian Renaissance. The writhing forms will have reminded JRRT of his well-loved tree.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Timeo Danaos et donna ferentes
Hmmm... actualy this phrase is half greek and half latin -my latin ain't that good- the original phrase is "Fovu tous Danaous ke dora ferondes" .
And Laocoon as well as Kassandra -both of them trojans- are the two examples of how knowing or suspecting the truth, a truth against what the "goverment" wants to see, end up murdered or worst.

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, dona is written with only one "n".

/nitpick

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Laocoon, an Elvish word?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help