Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » What's the Quenya word for "Mithril"?
Author Topic: What's the Quenya word for "Mithril"?
Peter_20
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6368
posted      Profile for Peter_20   Email Peter_20   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any Quenya word for Mithril?
I haven't heard of anything, but I've actually invented a name myself:

Sindarillë

I think this is a very beautiful name, so I tend to stick to it.
It does sound rather logical, too.

From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There is not (or at least not in the published corpus). *sindaril(l)ë, as well as *mistaril(l)ë, could be possible.
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There was a King of Numenor called Tar-Telemmaitë - and it is a Quenia name. "This King was so called because of his love of silver, and he bade his servants to seek ever for mithril" - UT, the Line of Elros.
"maitë" is "hand" (sf Angamaitë = ironhand) so the translation of Telemaitë would be "silver-hand"
So, I guess, mithril was called Tele-something , without distinction from normal silver. Or, maybe, mithril was called true-silver but I don't know the Quenia for "true".

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
posted      Profile for Ederchil   Email Ederchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mithril stands for "grey brilliance". Truesilver is just a "poetic translation" into Westron.
From: Groningen, the Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
Mithril itself contains the same element as Mithrandir, combining 'grey, light grey' and 'brilliance'

'True-silver' is noted '...as some have called it: mithril is the Elvish name'

Telemmaite 'Silver-handed' (UT appendix at least). Edit: didn't see Ederchil's post!

[ 01-11-2008, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Galin ]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Anariel Aureva
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3741

posted      Profile for Anariel Aureva   Author's Homepage   Email Anariel Aureva   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, according to Ardalambion, grey is sinda and brilliance is alcarë, so perhaps mithril could be sindalcarë? Though I might have combined it wrong and it's just a guess. []
From: Laurëanórë | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
posted      Profile for Ederchil   Email Ederchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] indeed. It's one of the dangers of dictionary translation. Rillë is attested in Quenya (Silma-rilli-on, anyone?). So is Mista (lassemista). They have the same sense as their S cognates. Unlike some other words [] .

As for Sindalcarë, Anariel , it's another shade of grey, and another shade of brilliance. And it looks too contrived.

From: Groningen, the Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
On the other side ... does anybody want to know what I think of Ardalambion ? []
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
Now that you mention it, it's wordlist are rather... liberal when it comes to translating. Even the new Parvipith. Hiswelokë at least uses the official gloss. Is there actually a better Q dictionary out there?
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
Indeed, it mixes hypothesis with attested words, and it's sometimes hard to see the difference. Unfortunately, that's the less bad we have on the net ... Though a friend of mine is actually working on a Quenya dictionary. But as you can guess, it's not an easy work.

Yay for Didier - Hiswelokë and for the new version he's working on []

Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
There was an older version of HW that actually had some selected movie-words in it - I can recall govannas and ess. Glad he removed those.

Re: Q dictionary: link us to it if it's done
Re: HW update: he's got a lot of work to do with PE17...

Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
I think everybody has a lot of work to do with PE 17, among others Edouard Kloczko, who has to delay - once again - the re-edition of his Elvish dictionary []

For the link, I will, but I don't expect it soon ...

[ 01-12-2008, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Eluchil ]

Peter_20
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6368
posted      Profile for Peter_20   Email Peter_20   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, what are the Quenya names for Mordor, Orodruin, etc?
Here are my personal guesses:

Gondor = Ondonórë?
Mordor = Morindórë?
Orodruin = Artarúnya?

[ 01-12-2008, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Peter_20 ]

From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
Ondonórë is attested in "Ondonórë Nomesseron Minaþúrië", enquiry in the placenames of Gondor. Well, just the rivers and beaconhills, actually.

As for Mordor, I'd use Morinórë. Artarúnya sounds good to me.

Tyrhael
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5522
posted      Profile for Tyrhael   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We have _Ondonóre_ attested in VT42; I've also seen _Ondóre_, but can't remember if that's a Tolkienian example or a neologism. As for "Mordor," we could see *Morinor, *Morindor, *Morinóre, *Morindóre, *Mornóre, etc. With "Orodruin," I agree with _rúnya_ cf. the Silm., but think something from ORÓT would be more suitable, like *Ortorúnya, or even *Rúnyorto or *Rúnyoron.
From: northern CT | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
A quick search reveals the following already existing neo-Quenya words:
Ondórë - only sane google hit
Morinórë
Mornórë
Mornor, Morinórë Some bad translations on this site btw...
Morinórë
No finds on any translation of Orodruin... it doesn't appear in any poem I know of, so there's little need to translate it.

[ 01-13-2008, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Ederchil ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » What's the Quenya word for "Mithril"?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help