profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Parma Eldalamberon 17
Author Topic: Parma Eldalamberon 17
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
During Omentielva tatya, some copies of Parma Eldalamberon 17 were handed out.
According to someone (Bertrand Bellet) who attended this meeting, here's a summary of what can be found in it (PE 17, titled Words, phrases & passages in various tongues in The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien, 220 pages, has not yet been officially announced) :
  • etymologies of a lot of names appearing in LotR (end of 60s). For instance, Asfaloth "sunlit foam", lebethron definitely linked to "five", Aragorn "Revered king".
  • "some" more on omentielmo / omentielvo and vanimalda / vanimelda.
  • comparative in Eldarin speeches
  • personal and possessive in Quenya
  • Sindarin conjugations for the two verbal classes
  • a chart of Sindarin possessive suffixes
  • some stuff on Sindarin mutation
  • some stuff on plural (class-plural or "normal" plural)
  • adverbial formation
  • lexical derivation
  • conjugations, e.a. (present) of -a Quenya verbs
  • analysis of Black Speech and Khuzdul sentences in LotR
  • some new roots and stems, with their derivatives

E: I forgot this link to Helge's post on it []

[ 08-22-2007, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Eluchil ]

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks, Eluchil. []

Sindarin Sindarin Sindarin []

I'm not sure that "sunlit foam" is a good name for a horse, though. I usually try to avoid that situation with my horses.

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pleasure []
This seems to be a "must have" ^^

[ 08-22-2007, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Eluchil ]

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyrhael
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5522
posted      Profile for Tyrhael   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow ... thanks, Eluchil (and Bertrand Bellet), for the info!

I'm definitely going to order a copy as soon as it is released. []

Hope you don't mind that I linked and quoted the review (with citations and credit, of course) on the Elvish News thread on the LotRPlaza.

[ 08-26-2007, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Tyrhael ]

From: northern CT | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
Of course I don't []

PE17 can be ordered here.

Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
Double post [] []

Another post by HKF, just in case.

I ordered mine 15 minutes ago.

Tyrhael
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5522
posted      Profile for Tyrhael   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently trying to order a copy. But as for the contents, Thorsten Renk commented on some of the Sindarin pronominal suffixes found in PE17 on the German Tolkien-language forum "Mellyn Lammath".

The link can be found here.

One can use Google's translation service to automatically render the page into mostly intelligible English.

[ 08-28-2007, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: Tyrhael ]

From: northern CT | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
I just found by chance the kind of information I like : according to PE 17 (not yet received), Northern Sindarin Hithlum = Classical Sindarin Hithlû.
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
This PE is incredibly rich [] I will have to read it a second, or even a third time []
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
As a lover of Tolkien's invented names, I was struck by this as I leafed through (and indeed plenty of great reading ahead)...

quote:
S. Lúthien 'daughter of flowers', lúth 'blossom, inflorescence'
Compare to Etymologies 'enchantress' and etc. (LUK- 'magic, enchantment').
Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
I made a kind of summary of such things, and I also noted for Lúthien []
To which you can had (p. 161) :
quote:
[Melian was specially associated with the flowers in Lórien.]

Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
posted      Profile for Ederchil   Email Ederchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone tell me the Black Speech and Khuzdul items? All I've found (with no access to a copy) is that BS -um is a definite particle.
From: Groningen, the Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
Do you realise that this is about several pages ?
Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
posted      Profile for Ederchil   Email Ederchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, maybe a summary. Don't have creditcard, paypal doesn't work here, so can't order myself.
From: Groningen, the Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
Okay, Paypal does work here. As soon as I've figured it out I'll order PE17. 220 pages sounds like early Christmas!
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
A very interesting entry from Words, Phrases and Passages...

quote:
Q noldo ŋoldo

Delete all references of Ñoldo to 'wisdom, lore'! [This characteristic only clearly seen later -- the Tribal names must be early formations.] Cf. finwe, which only applies to hair.

ÑGOL = dark-hued, dark-brown. OQ ñolda, dark-haired, but after special association with Clan, this was not much used; the colour word taking form ñolya (cf. vanya). The pedominant colour of Ñoldorin hair was very dark-brown (no Elf had absolute black hair: morna); but by intermarriage fair-hair occured among them: as e. g. in Finrod & Galadriel (after Indis).

In another entry Tolkien had written (about hair) that the Noldor were generally hróva or morna, but this was rejected with a large X and other strokes.
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
And if I'm not wrong, in the same rejected entry, he wrote that there were blond-haired people among the Teleri as well.
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
My current obsession : Arvernien (Q) '(the land) beside the Verna'. What is the Verna ? I didn't find it anywhere, neither did the people I consulted ...
Of course one could recognise √AR²- 'outside, beside' from Etymologies, or √AR 'beyond, further than' from PE 17, but that doesn't help.

Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
David Salo has just given some thoughts on that on elfling.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
I saw it - amazingly, Carl (Hostetter) answered more or less similarly to my question (adding that he isn't aware of other occurences of the name elsewhere).
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
In PE17 we find the meaning of a name that has been a bit perplexing (along with Asfaloth) for some time: Thranduil 'vigorous spring'.

It's not easy trying to 'predict' the Subcreator at work.

[ 01-01-2008, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: Galin ]

Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
Yeah, so much for "Across the river" and "Dark river dweller", "Stiff spring" or my own, "Stiff-sinewed".
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Parma Eldalamberon 17
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help