Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Quenya or Sindarin - what language do you prefer? (Page 2)
Author Topic: Quenya or Sindarin - what language do you prefer?
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

Quenya.

'Nuff said.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, can anyone translate this quote for me (into Quenya, of course, and using Þ where/if appropriate):

'See, half-brother! This is sharper than thy tongue. Try but once more to usurp my place and the love of my father, and maybe it will rid the Noldor of one who seeks to be the master of thralls!'

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*hides*
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Since I feel this thread deserves to continue, let me add this little bit of fuel:

Some might say Thingol's banning of spoken Quenya to be the only good move he made during his entire administration.
[]

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Shall I quote the incomparable Lillianna and say that 'Thingol is a retard'?

Sindarin sounds like a language made for five-year olds who can't handle the grown-up's language. []

Ok, attempting now to raise my maturity into the double digits...

Quenya is a far more beautiful language than Sindarin - both written and spoken. It's a language of poetry, of lore, of song, and of those elves who obeyed the summons and haven't fallen.

I find it interesting that those who moved to Middle-earth lost Quenya except as a language of lore while it survived in lesser-marred Valinor.

Perhaps the switch from Quenya was due to Arda Marred? []

[ 03-25-2008, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Amárië ]

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps the switch from Quenya was due to Arda Marred?
Well...if there's a trend in Arda, it's the slow change from the greater to the lesser, the long decline. That has to hold true linguistically as well as for everything else. []
From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But for evil will always produce a greater Good []

As for the language of poetry : say that to Dírhaval []

[ 03-26-2008, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Eluchil ]

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You know, those last two posts are both true to Tolkien, but also slightly contrary if you think about it. I've made that point elsewhere, I believe.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Quenya or Sindarin - what language do you prefer? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help