Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Quenya or Sindarin - what language do you prefer? (Page 1)
Author Topic: Quenya or Sindarin - what language do you prefer?
Peter_20
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6368
posted      Profile for Peter_20   Email Peter_20   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Of these two languages, what's your favourite?

I must say I've always like Quenya better.
Sindarin is alright as well, but I honestly didn't find it very interesting.
I've always had a passion for languages that use very strong sounds, and still come of as pretty, and Quenya is such a language; Finnish fits into this category, too.

I mean, to me there's not contest between Fëanáro/Findaráto/Aikanáro and Faenor/Finrod/Aegnor; the former beats the latter, IMO, because the Quenya names sound much cooler.
The only name that sounds better in Sindarin is Fingolfin, compared to the Quenya original Finwënolofinwë.
However, whenever I ask my friends what they prefer, they're all for Sindarin, because they think it sounds "cleaner".
I understand what they mean, but I still prefer Quenya any day. []

What about you?

[ 08-22-2007, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Peter_20 ]

From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I never appreciated to have blood on my hands, so it's Sindarin, for sure []
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter_20
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6368
posted      Profile for Peter_20   Email Peter_20   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you mean "serkë i mányat"? []
I think that's Quenya for "blood on my hands", but I'm not sure.

In Sindarin it would become something like "sereg i cambyan" or whatever, I just take a wild guess. XD

[ 08-22-2007, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Peter_20 ]

From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Quenya.
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dwarves are prejudiced on this issue.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] @ WT.

I vote for Quenya too, and I'm a Maia, so everybody should agree.

But Valarin rules []

On a slightly different subject, I've always wonder if the "at" form (dual) would, in this case, apply to Beren []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Peter_20, you should come to the Opelë over in the Floating Log and become a Quenya Defender (there will be a new Opelë up soon).
Only there's not a lot of linguistic quarrel going on there these days []

I find Quenya to be more beautiful than Sindarin. It has got a more flowing character to the language, which I find to be more pleasing.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Norwegians are prejudiced on this issue.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I still have nightmares from watching Finnish television on my first day in Stockholm, while Thingol was at work.

[]

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
More honnestly, I prefer the sound of Sindarin, most of all the -dh.
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I second that - Sindarin is more elegant in my ears.
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Quenya. No explanation required.
From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
posted      Profile for Ederchil   Email Ederchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Let me be the resident [] and say Westron.

Oh, Pete, I'd say "blood on my hands" in S is "sereg or chaim nîn".

From: Groningen, the Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Was there much difference between the language which Gondor used in it's days of power descended from the Numenoreans and those of the Elves?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
It depends which language you're talking about : either Sindarin, spoken by the most noble families (which was somewhat different from First Age Sindarin, and also probably different from "pure" Third Age Elvish Sindarin), or Common Language, which was related to Adûnaic but which incorporated some Sindarin words.
Ederchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6454
posted      Profile for Ederchil   Email Ederchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Gondorian dialect of Sindarin is interesting, but Tolkien never gave us more than a couple of characteristics: no /y/, no /ch/, that kind of stuff. It would probably be the same to Sindarin as an Englishman (or a Dutchman) speaking French would be to a Frenchman.
From: Groningen, the Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vanya_anna
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6678
posted      Profile for vanya_anna   Author's Homepage   Email vanya_anna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
is someone here abel to write Tengwar - Quenya ?
i need one sentence to somebody write it down

From: ns | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vanya_anna
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6678
posted      Profile for vanya_anna   Author's Homepage   Email vanya_anna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cuilë ná vanya lindalë ! Lilta ar Raina

i need that in tengwar
[]

From: ns | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, you mean "serkë i mányat"? []
I think that's Quenya for "blood on my hands", but I'm not sure.

Close. More like sercë mányatsë. But that means literally having blood on one's hands. For colloquial expressions, something along the lines of sercamaquat ("bloody-handed" or "hands full of blood") may be more accurate.
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vanya_anna
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6678
hey SILMAHTAR , is my sentence ok?
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think it says?
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vanya_anna
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6678
life is beautiful music! dance and smile
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

That's about right...

Add Á at the beginning of your second sentence to make the verbs imperative.
quote:
Cuilë ná vanya lindalë! Á lilta ar raina!

[ 03-22-2008, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

vanya_anna
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6678
thanx very much
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sindarin for me, though I'm far from versed in either.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Quenya or Sindarin - what language do you prefer? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help