Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » "Maeglin" in Quenya...?
Author Topic: "Maeglin" in Quenya...?
Peter_20
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6368
posted      Profile for Peter_20   Email Peter_20   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know Maeglin's Quenya name is Lómion, but I'm wondering what the actual name Maeglin would become in Quenya?

If we assume that "mag" and "aeg" mean "maka" and "aika" in Quenya, this would most likely mean that "maeg" means "maika", right?
And "glin" would theoretically become "glinta" but that sounds weird, and knowing Tolkien's taste in languages he would probably change it to "linta".
Therefore, I think Maeglin would become "Maikalinta", in Quenya.
Is this correct?

[ 08-17-2007, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Peter_20 ]

From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there was already a topic about Maeglin's name, but not until now. Cool!

On page 337 of HoME XI The War of the Jewels, there is a brief passage about the name's etymology.
quote:
glim gleam, glint (usually of fine slender but bright shafts of light). Particularly applied to light of eyes; not Q.
So we know that glim is not a Quenya word. The closest I can find is ngillë or nillë, which means "silver glint". And that is a noun, which is the correct form of the word in Maeglin

So, perhaps it's Maikanillo. (It doesn't help that Maeglin's eyes were described as 'dark'... [] )

Also, the Etymologies confuse the matter even more by stating that GLIN means 'sing'.

However, in the context of the story, it's unlikely that a Quenya variant would have ever been named. Remember that 'Maeglin' was his father's name for him, and Ëol detested the Noldor, which is why he was named by his mother Lómion in secret...

I'll try to dig up more clues if I can.

edit: Just noticed that this isn't in the 'Languages of Arda' forum section. I'll as our Steward to move it.

[ 08-17-2007, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter_20
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6368
posted      Profile for Peter_20   Email Peter_20   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Maikanillo does sound a lot like a typical Quenya name, but I honestly think my guess "Maikalinta" is more phonetically similar to Maeglin.
That's what I get everytime I try pronouncing Maeglin with a Quenya accent, anyway.

[ 08-19-2007, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Peter_20 ]

From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Linta is one of those occasional Quenya fragments that appear only once or twice, in this case, in "Namarië" and The Road Goes Ever On. (I'm not exactly sure what the latter source is...)

Anyway, it's believed to mean "swift", although there's little else to go on than the above instances. So, "Maikalinta" would mean something like "Sharp-swift".

It's odd to me that there aren't more words for sight or the act of seeing since Tolkien often refers these things in his stores.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
Surely Maeglin sounds better in any case.

More Sindarin promotion!

[ 08-21-2007, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Galin ]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse the slightly off-topic post, but do do you really pronounce it MY-gleen, and do you all say it that way (to yourself) when you read the book? I must admit I've always said MAY-glin.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Neither. MAÆ-gleen comes closest to it.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good. "MY"-gleen came from Encyclopedia of Arda.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
The Silmarilion and The Children of Húrin both describe...

AI a diphthong -- has the sound of English eye

AE a diphthong (a 'falling' diphthong see Appendix E)-- combine the simple vowels a-e (run together), and both sources add that ae may be pronounced in the same way as ai. In Appendix E Tolkien adds there is nothing in English closely corresponding to ae, oe, eu; ae, and oe may be pronounced as ai, oi.

Or listen to Christopher Tolkien say Maedhros []

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Ah - thanks to both of you. I do have a tape of Christopher reading excerpts from The Silmarillion, and I remember Maedhros.

Stupid Encyclopedia.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » "Maeglin" in Quenya...?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help