Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Translation requests...
Author Topic: Translation requests...
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have once tried to learn those fancy languages devised by the good Professor, but never could motivate myself enough to get any true result...

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position, so I guess this thread will be useful for others.

If you need the translation of a term into the languages of Arda, post it here, with a little luck someone will be able to help!

Here's the very first query: How would "Storm-sailer" translate into either Quenya or Sindarin?

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Or better yet...

How would "Storm-sailor" translate into either Quenya or Sindarin?

Off the top of my head... I don't ever recall seeing "storm" or "sailor" in any Elvish. We know of Eärendil the Mariner, but is there an Elvish translation for it?

E: Cir-adan or Cair-adan... ship-man?

[ 06-19-2007, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well Nash, we already have this thread fulfilling exactly the same function, on the first place of the forum overview, no less, so this thread isn't going to be more useful to anyone than that one. Please post your question in that thread and ask WGW to remove this superfluous one.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I see nothing wrong about starting a new thread to refresh the topic somewhat. []
quote:
How would "Storm-sailer" translate into either Quenya or Sindarin?
For Sindarin, it would be a construction of alagos (storm) and círion (sailor/mariner). Sindarin has a particular way of creating compound words, which I could never quite grasp...

But in Quenya (the only proper Eldarin tongue, I might add) it could be: Vilmalaco. Literally, this translates as "Flyer of Wild Wind" (Vilmo + alaco).

The reason I didn't chose ciryamo, the traditional word for "mariner" is that the word for storm here is based on its wind and air aspects: rushing wind, wild wind, etc.

However, there's another word that specifically describes rushing seas: haloisi, which could logically be constructed with ciryamo. Haloisi appears to be a plural noun ("seas" perhaps?). So you could say Ciryamo Haloision. Less elegant, IMO.

Also, a more vague term Haloisinur. It literally translates to "Servant of the Rusing Seas", but here I intend it to mean "Storm-farer". I derived it from from one of the meanings for Eärendur/Eärnur, "Sea-Servant," which in Letters Tolkien said could be used to mean professional mariner. I took that to mean Sea-farer.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if *Alagaer might not work for a 'sea-storm' (alagos 'storm of wind').

*Alagirion (primary stress alagIrion) is a bit long (though Nanduhirion comes to mind) and could mean 'impetuous ship-man' -- which might serve as a name for someone who was known to sail in stormy seas (someone who was known as a 'Storm-sailor') but that is perhaps pushing it too far.

Maybe *cirion-en-alagaer 'Sailor of the *sea-storm'?

Sounds nice anyway. And you certainly really want Grey-elven I'm guessing []

Sailer is a word too of course, and can mean 'a vessel propelled by a sail or sails' (a ship or other vessel), if that is what you meant.

[ 06-20-2007, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Galin ]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Since the name I'm looking for will be the name of a ship and not of a person, "sailer" is indeed what I meant... ( [] @Popaul for assuming I made a mistake...)

But thank you all, I got what I needed somehow []

And as far as "creating a new thread" is concerned, the other one was inactive for more than 6 months (and thus didn't show because of my "show topics from last 100 days" setting) so excuse me if I didn't check further... If WGW deems this thread "unworthy" and wants to merge it with the older one or even delete it he's got my approval []

[ 06-20-2007, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
LoL!

As I guessed might be the case. OK then, *cair-en-alagos reverting to the word from Etymologies instead of my neo-word above.

[ 06-20-2007, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Galin ]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nash:
quote:
But thank you all, I got what I needed somehow
Just curious, what name did you settle on?

e: Ciryalaco could be a Quenya possibility, based on what you clarified above...

[ 07-06-2007, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

Funny that you should answer you own question in that post Silm, I settled for Ciryalaco (which I "built up" from the bits you gave me [] ) in Quenya and Cair-en-alagos in Sindarin... []
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

Glad I could help! []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Translation requests...
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help