profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Wolf
Author Topic: Wolf
Finranfin
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6164
posted      Profile for Finranfin   Email Finranfin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In third age Quenya 'narmo' is given for 'wolf'. How would I go about to make the word She-Wolf?
From: Solna, Sweden | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps adding a female suffix? Just a guess, maybe ë will do? Like narmë?

Just wait, at somepoint a language scholar will show up

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Finranfin
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6164
posted      Profile for Finranfin   Email Finranfin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I was thinking also.

I'm trying to translat my girlfriends name. She's named 'Ylva' which is the feminine of the old swedish word 'ulv' which in turn is related to 'wolf'.

Her second name is the latin 'Regina' which could be translated to 'queen'. Which in Quenya would be 'tári'.

So I thought 'Narmotári' would be good. But in my ears it sounds too masculine. 'Narmëtári' would be better.

Perhaps one of the other words for 'wolf' that I found would be better. 'ráca' or 'harma'. But they sound just as masculine.

Any help is appreciated. My main goal is beauty rather than strict meaning and translation.

From: Solna, Sweden | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We have Sorontar which means "Eagle-king". Based on that, "Wolf-queen" could be Rácatári or Narmotári. From what I can find, ráca is related to words meaning "bite", perhaps even "tear" or "rend". (Does that seem like an accurate description of your girlfriend? [] )

Narmo may have some connection to early words related to "hold" or (big conjecture here) "tooth". *shrugs* If you go by the root as published in Etymologies (HoME Vol. 5), whihc is NGAR(A)M, I wonder if you could make it less masculine yet reasonably accurate with Narantári...

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
If you want more beauty then you want Grey-elven

*Garaveth

edit: (stress GAraveth)

[ 03-21-2007, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Galin ]

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*Garaveth
Not *Garavereth?
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's just garaf 'wolf' + -eth (as in adaneth)

It doesn't contain the bereth of Elbereth, though I can see why you asked of course.

Galin

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
IM IN UR THREDZ
DOMINATIN UR ACTIV TOPICZ
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like the domination bit []

[ 04-07-2013, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Wolf
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help