profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » True Middle-earth names thread
Author Topic: True Middle-earth names thread
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Inspired by Thorin's inspired (and hilarious) thread about what NOT to do when choosing a screen name, I thought it would be good to have a thread for people to ask about names based on Tolkien's constructed languages.

Maybe you're interested coming up with a name for an RPG character. Or you want to change your MT username to something truer to Middle-earth. You could also include questions about names for places or groups, even weapons and other objects.

Post here and see what other MTers come up with!

Ales Bican's ELM site has a good reference for finding Quenya equivalents for RL names: Quenya Lapseparma: The Quenya Babybook

Also MTer dreamingfifi has a comprehensive name site: Merin Essi ar Quenteli.

If anyone else has good links for names, post them in this thread or PM me. I'll check them out and update this first post accordingly. There are a lot of spurious "Elvish Language" sites out there that incorporate words that are not from Tolkien's invented languages (such as so-called "Drow Elvish", which is made up for RPG playing). Others provide a mish-mash of Quenya and Sindarin, and who knows what else. Please make sure the sites you reference are authentic.

[] Note that what we know of some languages like Khuzdul (Dwarvish) or the Black Speech is very limited. Tolkien didn't get around to exploring them in as much depth as say, Quenya or Sindarin.

So don't be disappointed if no one can come up with a Dwarvish name for "Swift to Anger" or a Rohirric name for "Brave Spear". (Although Tolkien did render Rohirric in Old English, and I believe there are a few here who know OE and related languages... )

Here are a few person names I'd been working on lately. They are in Quenya, the language I have the most knowledge of:

Hirifëo -- "Spirit Finder", based on Hirilondë, the name of a Numenorean ship.

Morámion -- "Black Wingéd One"

This one I really like: Ohtaico -- "Fierce in Battle" (male); Ohta (war) + aica (fell, terrible)

Lómiel -- "Night-daughter", the masculine equivalent would be Lómion

Haldaroquello -- Dimunitive masc. for "Veiled Horseman"

[ 12-12-2005, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Vëarenen ilnutin nardar."

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamingfifi
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3777
posted      Profile for dreamingfifi   Author's Homepage   Email dreamingfifi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Heard of this website?: http://realelvish.artshost.com/
From: Montana | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like Ohtaico a lot, Silm, and find Haldaroquello not too bad either (for obvious reasons), if a bit long.

I have a list of names I've created in several languages, though I haven't done any work on them in so long, so they're very out of date and most of them are very simple. Several of them I created for RP characters here at MT, others I created for various stories I never wrote, and the rest were just for fun. Most of the Quenya ones were created for a fictional family tree that several of my MT characters are part of [] , and most of the Dwarvish ones are names I just took from an online copy of the Edda Voluspa that I found once upon a time. But I'll post them here anyway. As far as I know they're all linguistically correct.

Quenya

Vilyanar (m. Sky-fire)
Vëandur (m. Devoted to the Sea)
Ulmondil (m. Friend of Ulmo)
Ossendil (m. Friend of Ossë)
Veryandil (m. Brave friend)
Eärohtar (m. Sea warrior)
Eärmo (m. Seaman)
Vanyacar (m. Fair hair)
Vanyafindë (f. Fair hair)
Kementur (m. Ruler of the Earth)
Anardur (m. Devoted to the Sun)
Cemendil (m. Earth-lover)
Menelcar (m. Fair hair)
Elemmáno (m. Blessed star)
Eldamírë (f. Elf-jewel)
Vëammírë (f. Jewel of the Sea)
Narcalimon (m. Bright flame)
Rámatál (m. Wingfoot; a horse's name)
Calináro (m. Shining flame)
Vánalótë (f. Beautiful flower)
Súrendil (m. Wind-lover)
Nénion (m. Water-son)
Andúmir (m. Jewel of the West)
Elenúmë (f. Star of the West)
Indomána (f. Good heart)
Elerrámë (f. Star-wing)
Isillótë (f. Moon-blossom)
Axancarmo (m. Lawmaker)
Vórimon (m. Faithful man)
Telperíanna (f. Silver crown)
Erannon (m. Gift of Eru)
Eäranna (f. Gift of the Sea)
Haldamor (m. Hidden darkness)
Isilion (m. Son of the Moon)
Anáriel (f. Daughter of the Sun)
Valáriel (f. Daughter of the Valar)
Entulcar (m. Restorer)

Sindarin

Ithildir (m. Moon-watcher)
Meneldir (m. Sky-watcher)
Feredir (m. Hunter)
Faradêl (m./f. Star of the Hunt)
Faechim (m. Loyal spirit)
Brûnir (m. Old, enduring)
Ellaer (f. Star-song)
Orophel (m. Eminent brilliance)
Bregolharn (m. Fierce stone)
Barador (m. Fiery king/chief)
Berethorn (m. Bold eagle)
Tarthalion (m. Strong hero)
Elvegil (m. Star-sword)
Galatharn (m. Shining stone)
Galadharn (m. Royal tree)
Galadhir (m. Tree lord)
Argalad (m. Radiant king)
Dirnínen (m. Silent watcher)

Rohirric

Folcmund (m. Protector of the people)
Grimfola (m. Fierce colt; a horse's name)
Fasthelm (m. Firm defense)
Gléowyn (f. Joyful music)
Déoréd (m. Brave counsel)
Déormund (m. Brave protector)
Draca (m. Dragon)
Théodric (m. Ruler of the people)
Baldric (m. Bold ruler)
Baldred (m. Bold counsel)
Gléomund (m. Music-protector)
Mánfréa (m. Lord of evil)
Astigan (m. To ascend)
Hérewulf (m. Majestic wolf)
Déorulf (m. Brave wolf)
Wulfheort (m. Wolf-hearted, cruel)
Héafod (m. Chief, leader)
Elfleda (f. Elf-beauty)
Théodmund (m. Protector of the people)
Déorgar (m. Brave spear [] )

Dwarvish

Brór (m. Hearth)
Bláin (m. Blue)
Brimir (m. Sea)
Nidi (m. Fading moon)
Víli (m. Drudge)
Lóni (m. Fighter)
Hanar (m. Skillful)
Hár (m. Grey-hair)
Lín (f. Protectoress)
Beli (m. Roarer)

[ 12-16-2005, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Silmahtar: Tolkien himself came up with Lómion (‘Son of Twilight’, the Quenya name that Aredhel gave to Maeglin), but you probably knew that. []
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
dreamingfifi, thanks for the link! I checked it out, and it seemed pretty comprehensive. I'm going to edit my first post and include it in there. []

Rocky: Thanks! I liked your name lists a lot.
quote:
So don't be disappointed if no one can come up with a Dwarvish name for "Swift to Anger" or a Rohirric name for "Brave Spear".
quote:
Déorgar (Brave spear [] )

Ah, the irony. That's too damn funny... [] []

Halion, you know, I completely forgot about that. (Maybe that means I'm finally catching on with this Quenya stuff... [] ) I was thinking more along the lines of Morion, the Dark One.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One area I've always struggled with when it comes to naming things is weapons. I can never figure out good names for weapons, whereas I usually have no problems with people. Anyone have any hints or suggestions?
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

I think it depends on what characteristics you wish to give the weapons.

You could use words for the more dynamic elementals: fire, wind, water. (Japanese sword tradition uses these terms for certain fighting techniques.) And to build upon those you can use words like "flame", "star", "ice" etc. Then there's "iron", of course, as in Durthang.

Then there are the weapons named specifically for enemies such as the Westron word "Orcrist". This, I believe is the tradition in Norse cultures, but I'm not 100% on it...

You could also incorporate personal names if that weapon is used in the service of a specific character: Wrath of Eru, Fist of Aulë or somesuch.

Lastly, there are descriptives that characterize weaponry: sharp, fell, terrible, and so on.

Few Quenya examples I just thought up off the top of my head:

Spear
Lócenehtar -- Dragon-slayer

Sword
Ormenár -- Wrath-fire

Mace
Quár' Auleva -- Aule's Fist

Bow (or special arrow)
Fionatsa -- Hawk Claw

Is this along the lines of what you had in mind?

[ 12-13-2005, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Dude, Ormenár is awesome! [] ::thinks about stealing it [] ::

Thanks for the tips, though. I'll try to keep those in mind next time I need to name a weapon. []

Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tuor is named Ulmondil in HoMe 11, 'The Later Quenta Silmarillion II', 'Of the Coming of Men into the West'. Though all friends of Ulmo could probably be called Ulmondil.

Eldamir was an early version of Elessar.

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

If I'd wanted to use Elf-jewel as a male name, I would have used Eldamir. Unless you weren't trying to correct me and you were just informing us that the masculine form of the name was an older form of Elessar; if that was the case, I apologize. []

Though since I added the feminine suffix, maybe I should have added an accent over the i, to make it Eldamírë?

[ 12-13-2005, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you could add (m) or (f) on all the names, for those who read this thread without the same degree of knowledge as some of you?

If such a list of names had been around when I joined this place, I would have had more to choose from for my first user name. Before you join, you can't ask for help!

Lostfiniel explained the meaning of her name, and said that if she had been accurate to reality, she should have been called Barufiniel, but she kept her name even though her hair is not what her name says. So I thought that 'Barufiniel' (brown haired maiden) was up for grabs, and since I wanted something 'Elvish', I used it. I now use the Quenya rather than the Sindarin version, though []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Varna:
quote:
Perhaps you could add (m) or (f) on all the names, for those who read this thread without the same degree of knowledge as some of you?
Some of mine are pretty obvious, but it's a good idea, so I did it anyway. []

Silm: I hadn't created Déorgar until after you made that comment about "Brave Spear." Took me a while to decide which name to use, because none of the other combinations I could figure out sounded particularly good. []

Herendil:
quote:
Tuor is named Ulmondil in HoMe 11, 'The Later Quenta Silmarillion II', 'Of the Coming of Men into the West'. Though all friends of Ulmo could probably be called Ulmondil.
Quite true, but in this case I created Ulmondil and Ossendil as personal names, like Manwendil, Aulendil, and Oromendil, not as titles. The only name in that list that I created as a title rather than a personal name is Entulcar.

[ 12-16-2005, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

quote:
Dude, Ormenár is awesome! [] ::thinks about stealing it [] ::

Sure. Go right ahead.
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Thanks! []
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can either of you artists experiment with the words "crystal" and "star" or "moon" and come back to me with a female name? No haste [] []
From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

I'd be happy to. Here are some ideas in Quenya:

Elemmarillë - Star-crystal

Isilmarillë - Moon-crystal

Isilimë - Moon-crystal (silima is said to be the substance from which Fëanor made the silmarils)

Timmarillë - Star-crystal (lit. "glinting" or "sparking crystal")

Tindómarillë - Starry-twilight crystal

Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isilmarillë , Isilimë
I claim lordship over those two, [] [] []
From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

Those are on loan my dear. I'll PM you where to send my monthly check...

I'm pleased you like them. [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Vëarenen ilnutin nardar."

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I finally know what to go for as Varnafindë's amilessë - since she has managed without it for two years, there's no hurry.

I'm looking for a name meaning 'adventurer' or perhaps 'far-traveller'. Female name. And preferably both in Quenya and in Sindarin, please ...

Or should this still go in the Translation thread? If so, I can move it ...

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so much looking for a name as I am an expert's confirmation that I constructed the right one: Parmastahir. parma = book, asta = month, hir = root for "to find". So I'm thinking "book of months finder" is "calendar collector" (which is what I do). I await a learned opinion. Thanks all!
From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

Varna, I'll give it a shot in Quenya:

Far-traveller -- Palalelë, Palalennë, (Pallelë/Pallennë?)

Parmastahir, I think parmasta is a good basis for "calendar." I suppose it could be parmastarion, "book of months" as well, but the former form seems to be OK.

Ref Etym under PAR:
quote:
parmalambë "book-language" = Qenya (PAR)
As for "finder", the only word to go by is Hirilondë, "Haven-finder" from Unfinished Tales.

So perhaps Hiriparmastar, (astar being "months") and Hiriparmastaro as a masculine name.

Quite a mouthful, but when you think about it, so is "Collector of Calendars" in English and probably any other language. []

. "Month-book" would be something like astaparma, and "Month-book finder", Hirastaparma,

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
so is "Collector of Calendars" in English and probably any other language.
"Kalendersamler" in Norwegian []

And I think I'll go for Palalennë for far-traveller. Thank you, Silmahtar ! [] Now, anyone for a Sindarin version of that?

(For the record, I'm not planning to change my user name - this is just for use in the Green Dragon.)

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

Varna, I offer some corrections to what I posted earlier.

I strugged with "Far-traveller" because we have a seemingly awkward compound of palan and lelya (or lenna). Merely grafting them together may not work since nl cluster is exceedingly rare. (I actually can't find a single Quenya word that has nl in it...) It seems to assimilate to ll.

So, if that's the case, then your names would be Palallelië or Palallennië. They seem too "roller-coaster" to me, if you get my drift.

Another and IMO simpler solution is to use the Primitive Elvish stem for "go", which is del, in which case nd is perfectly acceptable. In this instance you have Palandelië.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I agree about the "roller-coaster" ... []

Palandelië seems fine, though. Thanks, again!

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » True Middle-earth names thread
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help