Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Just Wondering...
Author Topic: Just Wondering...
Curufinwe Lord of Noldor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4600
posted      Profile for Curufinwe Lord of Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Curufinwe Lord of Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me a good book or something to begin learning the Elvish language, Im 16 and i havent found any good Language books. Can you help me find where and which ones are good??? [] []
From: Gondolin | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
By the Elvish language, I assume you mean the most common one spoken in Middle-earth in the third age; Sindarin.

There are a few books around that are avaliable to purchase:

A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
~David Salo
University of Utah Press
Hardcover - October 31, 2004

An Introduction to Elvish: And to Other Tongues and Proper Names and Writing Systems of the Third Age of the Western Lands of Middle-earth as Set Forth in the Published Writings of Professor John Ronald Reuel Tolkien
~Jim Allan (Editor)
Bran's Head Books
Paperback - December 31, 1978

Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth
~Ruth S. Noel
Paperback

I hope this helps.

Dark Lord Andúril

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curufinwe Lord of Noldor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4600
posted      Profile for Curufinwe Lord of Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Curufinwe Lord of Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks alot Andúril, Do you know about any good ones for the Noldorin Speech though? Because it is they who have my love. []
From: Gondolin | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1661

posted      Profile for Quendil   Email Quendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Noldorin is normally referred to as Quenya. Maybe you don't know Ardalambion, which is a page about Tolkien languages, where you'll find more information than you could ever find in a book.

On the other hand, you could visit The Elvish Class on this forum. I was its advisor for the last 1 1/2 years and I just gave it to Aikanáro. She hasn't posted any lessons yet, but since I already covered the basics of Quenya, she will probably continue with the more difficult subjects. My old lessons can be found in the thread or in this pdf-file (500 kb). It contains all 34 lessons. This should work as a good start into Quenya. The Ardalambion lessons on Quenya might have a rather deterring effect on some people, since they are very long and not too easy for the beginner.

[ 06-10-2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Quendil Gondolindrim ]

From: Japan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curufinwe Lord of Noldor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4600
Thank you Quendil
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
lol Quendil, I wouldnt say Noldorin is the same as Quenya. It depends what you read...
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curufinwe Lord of Noldor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4600
....lol
Anarion of the Faithful
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4639
posted      Profile for Anarion of the Faithful   Email Anarion of the Faithful   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And on a side note ,Lord Curufinwe, if you would be interested . i hav a cdrom with various Tolkien links , the encyclopedia of arda, & various maps etc. on it it has a guide to the elven script of the Tengwar & Tehtar. the Tengwar is one of the more popular scrpts that you will see its also the script used for the inscription on the One Ring. If you would like, i would be happy to email you a coy of that guide. It's been long since the Sons of Númenorëa have worked together in harmony with the Eldar. it would be my honor.
From: God's Hand | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curufinwe Lord of Noldor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4600
That would be wonderful Anarion, Thank you.

And let the Union between Elves and Men be Re-Embraced! []

Curufinwe Lord of Noldor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4600
My E-mail is

TylerDunk001@yahoo.com

OR

TylerDunkleberger@yahoo.com

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Just Wondering...
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help