profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Great Elvish Site
Author Topic: Great Elvish Site
Elf of Mirkwood
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4200
posted      Profile for Elf of Mirkwood   Email Elf of Mirkwood   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new to the boards, and can't wait to start posting! I love Elvish, and I am currently learning it as a personal project.

www.grey-company.org is a great source for learning elvish, with dictionaries and phrasebooks that you can download.  -

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
May tonight be the night that we draw swords together...

Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I quote from the site:

quote:
When J.R.R. Tolkien wrote the setting for the Lord of the Rings he crafted an entire world to go with it. Included in that world were the grammatical structure and a rudimentary dictionary for a number of Elven Tongues. Since we roleplay Elves online, we took that dictionary, simplified the grammatical structure and expanded the dictionary heavily. It is not cannon Elven as Tolkien wrote it, simply our own adaptation. Which we like better. Thank you very much
So not actually Tolkien Elvish....
From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elf of Mirkwood
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4200
posted      Profile for Elf of Mirkwood   Email Elf of Mirkwood   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So not actually Tolkien Elvish....
It's still pretty cool.  -
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, but just wanted to make everyone aware that it's not pure Quenya and/or Sindarin, in case they thought it was.

Wouldn't want people learning inaccurate things, now, would we?

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elf of Mirkwood
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4200
quote:
Wouldn't want people learning inaccurate things, now, would we?
Of course not.  -
Mirkwood's Dark Princess
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4192
posted      Profile for Mirkwood's Dark Princess   Email Mirkwood's Dark Princess   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well, does anyone know a good Quenya-English and English-Quenya online dictionary?
From: the beautiful forest of Mirkwood (aka Canada ...lol) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Q/E & E/Q wordlists on Ardalambion.com have a lot of words. They are in Word-format (*.doc) -

http://www.ardalambion.com/

From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyra Telpëlamba
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4402
posted      Profile for Lyra Telpëlamba   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have found this site to be very helpful but it does not have a Quenya-English Dictionary.

[ 03-04-2004, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Lyra Telpëlamba ]

From: cent neuf | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aranel89
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4502
posted      Profile for Aranel89   Author's Homepage   Email Aranel89   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But Grey Company elvish isn't authentic Tolkien elvish. It's known as Grelvish. The spellings and even pronounciacians(sp?) are different from Tolkien elvish. They're are plenty of real elvish sites out there, so I would suggest those if you want to learn real elvish...

plus some people aren't very nice in letting you know you aren't speaking real elvish...yes this comes from personal experience.

[ 04-09-2004, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Aranel89 ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
..::Sara::..

You have fallen.
And I cannot reach you.
Every step I willed you on,
Every moment I lead you to this.
You never left my mind,
Not once, not ever.
- The End of all Things, RotK

From: fading away under the trees, veiled in glory, I reside in Rivendell | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry this is off topic, but: Aranel89, where does your signature come from? It cites Return of the King as the source, but I am not familiar with those lines.

[ 04-09-2004, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

I'm going to have to indulge in some shameless self-promotion here.

I've just finished a project compiling all the reputable words currently available in dictionaries online.

So for an extensive English-Quenya dictionary, look here.

The page is very basic at the moment, but I just wanted to get it up there. []

Tuor of the House Hador
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4206
posted      Profile for Tuor of the House Hador   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorin, Aranel89's quote comes from the song "The End of All Things" by Renee Fleming. It was a song for the RotK movie.
Aranel89
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4502
posted      Profile for Aranel89   Author's Homepage   Email Aranel89   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I actually messeged him..but thanks for explaining for me []
From: fading away under the trees, veiled in glory, I reside in Rivendell | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Great Elvish Site
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help