Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  15  16  17 
Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Translations (Page 4)
Author Topic: Translations
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dorwinion means 'land of wine', right?
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I always figured that Dorwinion was a sort of cross-lingual pun, with the implication that we get our word 'wine' from the name of the place. I too would be interested in knowing exactly what the Elvish means.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manwë Súlimo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4429
posted      Profile for Manwë Súlimo   Email Manwë Súlimo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a very long time for someone to translate my name to Quenya. I looked on a lot of sites but they didn't had it. (i guess i know why, but that aint the point).
My name is 'Thijs' and if someone could translate it to Quenya i would be very pleased

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
May the Grace of the Valar protect you.

From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 371
posted      Profile for cian   Edit/Delete Post 
What does 'Thijs' mean, for starters ... or do you not know?

[]

According to David Salo, if the name Dorwinion is thought of as an Ilkorin form (the status of Ilkorin is suspect regarding the 'mature' legends) it is perhaps Dor + -winion (*gwinion) 'Land of *gwinin' -- cf. Dor-thonion 'Land of *thonin' ('pines'). *Gwinin may be hypothetically from a root WIN-, whose similarity to English 'wine' Latin 'vinum' Welsh gwin (David adds) is 'unlikely to be coincidental' -- yielding the interpretation 'wines' or '(grape-) vines'.

David further comments that Dorwinion could also perhaps be interpreted as Sindarin, with a meaning like 'winy land' or 'viny land' - if we could assume Sindarin also had the word *gwin.

¤

Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manwë Súlimo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4429
posted      Profile for Manwë Súlimo   Email Manwë Súlimo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
as far as i know, thijs is just my name, and has no meaning. I didnt know that was important.
uhmm, are you saying thijs = dorwinion?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I already answered this for you in the other thread you brought it up in, Manwë...

quote:
After doing some quick research, I found out that Thijs is a Dutch name, and is the short form of Matthijs, which in English is Matthew. According to the Quenya Lapseparma...

MATTHEW (m.) - Heb. 'gift of God'; Eru "God"; anna "gift", thus Eruanno or Erunno

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 371
posted      Profile for cian   Edit/Delete Post 
Or Eranno or Erannon according to David Salo. 'Final vowels in words in composition in Quenya are usually lost before words beginning with a vowel. So Eru+anno = Eranno. The masculine personalized version of anna 'gift' may actually appear as -annon; e.g. Tarannon King's gift.' ~DS

It might be noted that Tolkien's version of 'Hail Mary' contains the form Eruanno, evidently the genitive here of *Eruanna 'grace' ('God-gift')

And indeed my reply about Dorwinion was due to earlier posts, not about 'Thijs' []

¤

Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manwë Súlimo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4429
Eomer was right about thijs being a dutch name, and i would like to tank eomer + cian for their help!! []

Thank you!!!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cian: Very interesting; I actually didn't know that. Thanks!
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2413

posted      Profile for Talan   Email Talan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, there...I'm working on an orchestral and choral piece based on Fingolfin's duel with Morgoth. I've started with the part where he finds Dorthonion in ruins...

I want to do the choral part in elvish. I don't have my Silm with me, so that doesn't particularly help matters either. Anyhow...

I need some translations in whatever dialect Fingolfin used. But first let me give you what's happened in the piece thus far: Fingolfin comes into view of Dorthonion. The music pauses and utter silence sets in for a moment as he takes in the ruin of Dorthonion. Then the timpani and tubular bells are struck and the chorus comes in, as his horror becomes fury. I don't know what to put here. So if you could help me come up with elvish words to express it, please do.

The note groupings are (2 syllables) (2 syllables) (5 syllables). The first two groupings might work best as the same two-syllable word repeated. Ideally, the lyrics would be about either his rage or a vow for revenge.

Then later, I will need to know the elvish for "come out and face me," or a comparable challenge, for when he smites the gates and calls Morgoth out to fight.

This will be a very large and grand production, complete with sword clashes and a full orchestra and chorus. Perhaps I'll even manage to get it performed by the University, although it may be many years from now when I can get it performed at all. Who knows? At any rate, it's something I've wanted to do for a very long time, and I hope someone with a little elvish in their heads could help me make it a reality. Thanks!

(edited for stupidity)

[ 03-28-2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Talan ]

From: Austin, TX. Home of awesome. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting project - only that, Fingolfin fell long before Gondolin was destroyed. [] It was probably the destruction of Dorthonion he was looking at.
From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2413

posted      Profile for Talan   Email Talan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh...I'm getting all my events mixed up, aren't I...how embarrassing! I need to reread the Silm, if I can get a hold of a copy. Sorry about that.
From: Austin, TX. Home of awesome. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

I would say use Quenya for your Elvish lyrics, as that was Nolofinwë's native language.

As for the translation, I'm not quite sure what it would be at the moment (and I'm a bit too [] to figure it out right now, sorry [] ), but I'll do what I can to figure it out ASAP.

Unless someone more able to help you out happens upon this thread any time soon... []

Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What meaning does the name Isilmo have? []

Also, are there any other suggestions for my list here?

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Maerbenn, a long time ago I spent quite some time looking for information on that very name. I eventually discovered that -mo is normally an agental suffix in Quenya (like in Ulmo, "the Pourer"). But I believe that for the purposes of Elvish and Mannish names, that suffix was simply used as a masculine or feminine ending (both Isilmo and Isilmë are used by Tolkien).
Ondo
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4187
posted      Profile for Ondo   Author's Homepage   Email Ondo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The note groupings are (2 syllables) (2 syllables) (5 syllables). The first two groupings might work best as the same two-syllable word repeated. Ideally, the lyrics would be about either his rage or a vow for revenge.
How about something like this (in Quenya): Aha, aha, hendu valaine (or valaine hendu!) 'Rage, rage, (two) eyes of the Valar!' Cf. "...for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eye shone like the eyes of the Valar." See this page for the words, and this for the grammar.

quote:
Then later, I will need to know the elvish for "come out and face me," or a comparable challenge, for when he smites the gates and calls Morgoth out to fight.
A ettule! A mahta nin! 'Come forth! Fight against me!' Cf. "...and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat."

[ 03-30-2004, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Ondo ]

From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2413

Thanks, Ondo! Those lyrics will do excellently...ah, and I forgot to mention, I could use a four-note grouping after that first part, although I could do "aha, aha" for that. But it would be good if it wasn't redundant. *wishes he had some knowledge of Elvish*

Thanks very much for your help! I can hardly express how much I appreciate it.

[ 03-30-2004, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Talan ]

The Dúnadan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4227
posted      Profile for The Dúnadan   Email The Dúnadan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well i'm kind of curious What Arwen Says in the film FOTR when she makes Bruinen make a giant Tidal Wawe to flush the Nazgül away, Does anybody knows what the words she says mean?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sons of Gondor, of Rohan. My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men failes, when we forsake our friends and brake all bands of fellowship, but it is not this day. an hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of men comes chrashing down. but it is not this day, this day we fight! by all that you hold dear on this good earth i bit you stand, men of the west!

From: Minas Tirith, Gondor, Middle Earth | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beorming
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4456
posted      Profile for Beorming   Email Beorming   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go matey. Number 7.

quote:
'Waters of the Misty Mountains
listen to the great word;
flow waters of Loudwater
against the Ringwraiths!'

[ 04-09-2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Beorming ]

From: halfway up Perrot's Folly | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dúnadan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4227
posted      Profile for The Dúnadan   Email The Dúnadan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you mate, Very kind of you. *Bows*

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sons of Gondor, of Rohan. My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men failes, when we forsake our friends and brake all bands of fellowship, but it is not this day. an hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of men comes chrashing down. but it is not this day, this day we fight! by all that you hold dear on this good earth i bit you stand, men of the west!

From: Minas Tirith, Gondor, Middle Earth | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Éomer, why were you looking for information on Isilmo?
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maerbenn, you asked about a few more translations:

Fornold - Northern stream S
Galathir - Face of light S
Galdaran - Tree-King S
Garathon - ?
Gumlin - ?
Gwinhir - Evening-river or evening-master S
Ildramir - ?
Ilmandur - Land of starlight Q
Ilverin - [This might be an early version of Ilfirin - Immortal Q]
Inglorel - Not-gold-star/elf? S
Ingrim - First host S
Inram - ?
Iverin - [probably an early form of íwerin, named Ireland Q ].
Lingrol - ?
Linglorel - song of the golden elf? Q
Máraher - Good-lord Q
Mordu - Black night Q
Narothal - Steady-fire Q
Neldorín - Beech-trees S
Nimladel - White valley of stars S
Nimlorel - White dream of stars Q
Nimlothel - Blossom of stars S
Olórion - Son the dreams Q
Orendil - Spirit-friend Q
Orondil - Mountain-friend Q
Padathir - Enclosed expression S [perhaps meaning Introvert?]
Qendemir - Elf-jewel Q
Ramloth - wing-flower S
Rhien - Queen S
Rhimbron - Eastern-host S
Rhimdir - hero-host (singular: only one hero) S
Rhimlath - Column (of soldiers) S
Rhomrin - Horn of rememberence S
Rimbedir - hero-host (singular: only one hero) S
Rothinel - ? [perhaps early form of Rothinzil - foam-flower Q]
Tarakil - King Q
Tarakon - Man of the horn Q
Tarantar - Buffer-king Q
Torfir - Brother watching over [bodyguard?] S
Yárë - days of old Q

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I've been thinking of changing my name, I've done it before with little success. When I first came up with the name, I knew nothing of Quenya or Sindarin, and used a horribly inaccurate website. So as of late, I've been striving to find an accurate Quenya name for myself, "Son of the Mountain" or as I'm sure it will turn out "Mountain-son" considering the structure and grammar of Quenya.

Here is what I've come up with, and would appreciate corrections should there be any.

Oronion i Vanyo

However, I'm still not sure if I can get used to this. I've had my pseudonym for so long, as well as everyone knowing me as Orofacion, that any change at this point would not sit well with me personally, but then again, there's something to be said for accuracy no?

I would like some opinions.

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If in the construction of 'Vanyo' you were attempting to get 'male vanya' then I think the correct transliteration is 'vanyon'. The rest is fine, if its quenya your after that is.

[ 06-15-2004, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Dark Lord Andúril ]

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose there could be other variants of Oronion that would mean the same?

To me it smells too much of onions []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Translations (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  15  16  17 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help