Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  15  16  17 
Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Translations (Page 3)
Author Topic: Translations
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Of course. 'Swift tree of spearpoints'. Sorry for challenging that, Eryndil.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The translation of the inscription on the knife seems to be:

gwud dladhyolyth

Which is nonsense. Anyone else interpret it differently?

Cormamin narra calen ar'malta.

Our ring of fire [is] bright-coloured with gold.

Perhaps...

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GimBill
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2658

posted      Profile for GimBill   Author's Homepage   Email GimBill   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I found out what it's supposed to mean. It's supposed to say "Foe Of Morgoth's Realm". But, well...it seems to me that that's not what the tengwar spell. Oh well. [] Thanks for anyone who tried!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Play 'Wheels On The Bus' and get the hell out of my sight."

On a bumper sticker "Jesus Saves...the rest of you take full damage."

From: The Heart of Yawgoog! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abârêth
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4332
posted      Profile for Abârêth   Email Abârêth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dark Lord Anduril, I don't know why anyone would write that on a Valentine but...maybe he just didn't know what he was writing in Elvish. :-)
From: Don't know anymore. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 371
posted      Profile for cian   Edit/Delete Post 
Abârêth posted: "This was given to a friend of mine on a Valentine's note, and we can't figure out what it says: Cormamin narra calen ar'malta. I'd appreciate the help!"

There is a web site called 'Grey Company Elven' (for roleplaying) which has confused some Tolkien fans -- they use 'cormamin' to mean 'my heart', and another example from their 'Elven phrases' page ends with '... calen ar'malta'.

This seems a bit coincidental (just from a quick glance), so my guess is someone is using this site for their card, perhaps thinking it accurately represents one of Tolkien's Elvish languages.

Grey Company 'Elven' is best avoided for those who want to learn about Tolkien's invented languages []

¤

Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 371
The Tengwar reads Gûd daedheloth in the mode of Beleriand, 'Foe [of the] great-fear' [intended to mean: 'Foe of Morgoth's Realm']

According to The Art of The Fellowship of the Ring, anyway.

¤

Roll of Honor Eryndil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3905

posted      Profile for Eryndil   Email Eryndil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course. 'Swift tree of spearpoints'. Sorry for challenging that, Eryndil
The Laurenendôrian - challenge by all means if you suspect there may be an alternative, or for justification. It's healthy. []
From: Salford, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
lol sorry, I used Middle-earth translation, as it was a middle-earth blade. Didn't know they were that accurate with the blades' histories.
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a list of personal names I would like to know the meaning of. They are taken from The History of the Lord of the Rings volumes (HoMe 6-9). I would also like to know what language (if any) each of them is. I thank you in advance.

Amaldor
Amareth
Ammalas
Arafain
Aramir
Asgil-Golamir
Barathil
Barithil
Benrodir
Berithil
Carandrian
Diarin
Dirgon
Du-finnion
Duilas
Elberin
Elberil
Eldavel
Eledon
Ellonel
Emmeril
Emrahil
Erion
Ethelion
Falborn
Faragon
Fornold
Galathir
Galdaran
Garathon
Gumlin
Gwinhir
Ildramir
Ilmandur
Ilverin
Inglorel
Ingrim
Inram
Iverin
Lingrol
Linglorel
Máraher
Mordu
Narothal
Neldorín
Nimladel
Nimlorel
Nimlothel
Olórion
Orendil
Orondil
Padathir
Qendemir
Ramloth
Rhien
Rhimbron
Rhimdir
Rhimlath
Rhomrin
Rimbedir
Rothinel
Tarakil
Tarakon
Tarantar
Torfir
Yárë

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Amaldor - ?
Amareth - earth? S
Ammalas - bird of joy? S
Arafain - noble larch (tree) Q
Aramir - royal jewel Q
Asgil-Golamir - light-jewel-lake? S
Barathil - queen of the stars OS
Barithil - queen of the stars OS
Benrodir - ?
Berithil - ?
Carandrian - ?
Diarin - ?
Dirgon - man of valour S
Du-finnion - cunning-night Q
Duilas - river-leaf S
Elberin - brave-star S
Elberil - brave-star S
Eldavel - elf-sight Q
Eledon - Male-elf Q
Ellonel - sky of stars Q
Emmeril - ?
Emrahil - ?
Erion - alone S
Ethelion - spear-sister-son? S
Falborn - foam-man S
Faragon - hunter S

Now im exhausted, more later perhaps. lol

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a question regarding the name of Farmer Maggot's Farm. It has been called "Bamfurlong" in very recent editions of LOTR. Does anyone know what this may mean?

Side note: I mentioned it's existance some time ago in this thread.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorin, the ‘Guide to the Names in The Lord of the Rings’ (does anyone know when it was written?) gives:
quote:
Bamfurlong. An English place-name, probably from bean ‘bean’ and furlong (in the sense of a division of a common field), the name being given to a strip of land usually reserved for beans. The name is now, and so is supposed to have been at that time in the Shire, without clear meaning. It is the name of Farmer Maggot’s farm. Translate as seems suitable, but some compound containing the word for ‘bean’ and that for ‘field, cultivated ground’ would seem desirable.

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the usage of the name, (since I don't see any great point in bumping your original thread I mention this here) it also appears in The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
[]
Kiitos, Maerbenn.
Thanks, Laur.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

It was also Tolkien's first name for the village Whitfurrows, and was printed thus in the first edition. This was changed in the second edition to Farmer Maggots farm.
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
[]
Where does Whitfurrows appear in the text? I thought Laur checked his first edition and didn't see it. But perhaps he was looking at the passage I mentioned in that old thread.

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew the etymology of furlong was "long furrow" (though it seems obvious now).

Learned something new today ! []

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

I took that from Sauron Defeated Thorin. If you want to check up on the context then serarch the word in there.
cian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 371
Maerbenn posted: '... the ‘Guide to the Names in The Lord of the Rings’ (does anyone know when it was written?) ...'

According to A Tolkien Compass anyway:

quote:
'These Notes on Nomenclature were made by J. R. R. Tolkien to assist translators of the book into other languages. They were composed when only the Swedish and Dutch translations had appeared. They have been revised for publication by Christopher Tolkien. All references to The Lord of the Rings are by volume and page of the Second (Revised) Edition. -- The Editor' (from A Tolkien Compass Jared Lobdell, Editor)
Compare to some dates from Humphrey Carpenter's Biography

Dutch 1956
Swedish 1959
Polish 1960
Italian 1967 ...

¤

Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a Quenya word for legacy?
From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ondo
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4187
posted      Profile for Ondo   Author's Homepage   Email Ondo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, there is no attested word for 'legacy', at least to my knowledge (which is the comprehensive wordlists at www.ardalambion.com, Qenya Lexicon, plus some). Not even one for the closest synonyms like 'inheritance'. But one could coin one: *hilma '(concrete) heirloom, inheritance, legacy' < KHIL- 'follow' (LR:364; whence comes hildinyar 'my heirs') + ma 'something, a thing' (VT42:34; cf. parma 'book' < PAR- 'compose, put together', LR:380). *Hilme would be 'legacy' as an abstract conept, like melme 'love' < MEL- 'love (as friend)' (LR:372).

[ 03-02-2004, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Ondo ]

From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks, Ondo!

And yet another question...or couple of questions. What are the Quenya words for yes, no, and hello? I found 'aiya' as hello, but I wasn't sure if that was right. Is there an attested version of these words?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I will love you forever, whatever happens. Till I die and after I die, and when I find my way out of the land of the dead, I'll drift about forever, all my atoms, till I find you again..."

The Amber Spyglass

From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aiya literally means hail, and can be used as a greeting.
The word generally used for hello is sulier, which is probably a reconstruction, but one in common usage.
Other ways to greet people might be to say mara aurë, or, if you want something specifically from text, elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo.

The word for no is simply lau.

Ná is yes, but some writers find that can cause problems, given its other meaning of is/are. If this occurs, tancavë can be used. Usually translated as 'certainly' it appears to be related to the verb tancata- - to confirm.

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What does vëantur mean?
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Quenya-English wordlist from Ardalambion gives

vëa (1) "adult, manly, vigorous" (WEG)
vëa (2) "sea" (MC:213, 214, 216; this is "Qenya" and certainly obsoleted by # 1 above; use ëar in LotR-style Quenya). Inflected vëan "sea" (MC:220), vëar "in sea" (a "Qenya" locative in -r, MC:213), vëassë "on sea" (MC:220). Cf. also vëacirya.

tur- "wield, control, govern" (1st pers. aorist turin "I wield" etc.), pa.t. turnë (TUR)
tur "king" (LT1:260); rather aran in LotR-style Quenya, but cf. the verb tur-.
túrë "mastery, victory" (TUR)

Knowing that the person in question was the Captain of the King's Ships, a translation "Master of the Sea" would probably be appropriate.

From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Translations (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  15  16  17 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help