Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17 
Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Translations (Page 2)
Author Topic: Translations
Faramir Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3268

posted      Profile for Faramir Took   Email Faramir Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can any of you translate "Faramir, Son of Gondor, Prince of Ithilin" into Quenya?

[ 01-10-2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Faramir Vinyaner Took ]

From: Joisey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Faramir, Son of Gondor, Prince of Ithilin"

Fáremir, Ondonorion, Haryon Isiliena

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faramir Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3268

posted      Profile for Faramir Took   Email Faramir Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You!
From: Joisey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 371
posted      Profile for cian   Edit/Delete Post 
I would say use Faramir as is (compare Ryszard Derdzinski's Quenya Melme Faramiro 'Faramir's love').

Also there is cundu 'prince' from Etymologies, and for choice of case ending (for this relationship 'prince of (S.) Ithilien(d)) I would follow Tolkien examples aran Sindaron 'King of the Sindar' and Aran Lestanóreo 'King of Doriath'. But that said, I would go with Sindarin anyway.
_____

Sindarin, perhaps: Faramir iôn Gondor, cunn Ithilien (and see Farammir in quote below) 'Faramir son of Gondor, prince of Ithilien'

According to expert David Salo: 'Faramir, likewise, is "Sindarin-like" in style; although if such a name were actually to have been formed, it would necessarily have been pronounced FarAmir, with stress on the second syllable, and could have been spelled Farammir.' ~David Salo

My take anyway []

[ 01-12-2004, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: cian ]

Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can any linguist translate "the blessed" (as in Eärendil the Blessed) to Quenya for me? Thanks.
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd translate 'the blessed' as either:

I alya or I almárëa

Hope this is useful.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Vanima i metta nauva, nan anda ar sarda nauva i mallë.

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Would anyone be so kind as to translate second quote in my sig...

"Need a friend? Start listening with your heart."

Edit: Into Quenya please... []

[ 02-10-2004, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Roccowen Eilonwyiel ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I will love you forever, whatever happens. Till I die and after I die, and when I find my way out of the land of the dead, I'll drift about forever, all my atoms, till I find you again..."

The Amber Spyglass

From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Need a friend? Start listening with your heart.
The rohirrim might say: Þearf freond? Onginn mid ðinum heorte hîeran.

Even though (as no doubt many will tell me) old english isn't the actual rohirric tongue. It is but a translation.

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You know Kjartan, you just made me realize that I didn't specify a language. []

*goes to edit her post*

*feels bad now*

I'll use that somewhere...hmmm...

From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Need a friend? Start listening with your heart."

Maure melda? Esta a lasta o órelya.

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

*bows to Dark Lord Andúril*
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What does Celeg Aithorn (probably Sindarin?) mean?
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eryndil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3905

posted      Profile for Eryndil   Email Eryndil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
celeg = swift, agile

aithorn may break down into:
aith = spearpoint +
orn = tree

hope this helps

From: Salford, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Eryndil - could the 'thorn' in 'Aithorn' mean something related to eagles? (I'm not very knowledgable in these matters, but I thought that I had spotted that root there).
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

hmm. Well it could be:

ai- : Oh!
-thorn: eagle

But I think 'spearpoint tree' would be more likely, perhaps. Unless 'ai' is a preposition that i am not familar with?

fatherofdragons
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4285
posted      Profile for fatherofdragons   Email fatherofdragons   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can any one transate, "Will you marry me" into any of the Elvish dialects? Thanks in advance.
From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

I am only able to get the translations in Sinadrin and Quenya I am afriad, as Base Elvish doesn't have the applicable gramatical references, and the other dialects have no verb like 'to wed'. If you would like more dialects I would be able to give you a best guess.

to wed: Q vesta-, S besto-
do you wed: Q vestalya, S bestale
will you wed: Q vestuvalya, S bestathale
will you wed me: Q vestuvalya nye, S bestathale nin

I hope this helps.

[ 02-13-2004, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: Dark Lord Andúril ]

fatherofdragons
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4285
posted      Profile for fatherofdragons   Email fatherofdragons   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dark Lord Anduril!! You're the best
From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 371
Going on what we currently (think we) know, and basing the following on the work of Tolkien language expert David Salo (worked on the languages for the Jackson film), for Sindarin I would suggest (and assuming that 'father' in your nick means you are male):

Le melon. No cherves nín

'I love you. Be my wife' (or use bess and so '... no vess nín')

Maybe add the name of the person in there somewhere []

'The imperative is a form of the verb used to express commands or requests. In English, imperatives are often preceded by the word "please" to make them more polite, but it should be understood that an imperative form as such is not necessarily to be taken as a blunt order. ~Helge Fauskanger (Ardalambion author)

"Nai is only Q.; the normal way of expressing wishes in S. is with the imperative." ~David Salo
_____

Quenya possible (incidentally vestuvalye is in a future tense, and would mean 'you shall, will wed', and -lya 'your' not 'you')

Helge Fauskanger currently thinks conceivably ná may also function as an infinitive, and offers the example Merin ná Elda for 'I want to be an Elf', adding that, but of course, Tolkien may have imagined something entirely different. Possibly then:

Merinyel ná indissinya 'I want you 'to be' my wife' (you could begin with a name here too, perhaps)

Anyway, all keeping in mind that 'new' Tolkien linguistic materials are still being prepared for publication

[]

Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Ah apologies. Would we need a conditional tense for "will"? I don't think I've ever seen any conditionals, even hypothetical ones.
fatherofdragons
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4285
Yes, I am male, thanks for the clarification and for the quick responses from both of you, I'll let you know what she says!
cian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 371
If you're going to say it, which I'm guessing, you might want to take a look at the ROTK Appendices to help with pronunciation too (if you haven't already of course).

In the Sindarin suggestion I gave (just for example, not that I think you're going to use it necessarily), the ch- in cherves does not begin with the same sound as in English 'church' -- Tolkien notes: '... the sound heard in bach (in German or Welsh) ...'

Good luck in any case!

fatherofdragons
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4285
I decided to use the Sindarin:

Le melon. No cherves nín

I had to translate it for her, she tried doing it herself but was unable to. The important thing is that she said yes!

Thanks again.

GimBill
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2658

posted      Profile for GimBill   Author's Homepage   Email GimBill   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Quandry: Can anyone help me out with the inscription on Aragorn's dagger? Below is the link to a pic of it. All I can get is something about compass points, gift, and iron. Wondering if anyone can help me out. Thanks!

Aragorns Elven Knife

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Play 'Wheels On The Bus' and get the hell out of my sight."

On a bumper sticker "Jesus Saves...the rest of you take full damage."

From: The Heart of Yawgoog! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abârêth
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4332
posted      Profile for Abârêth   Email Abârêth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This was given to a friend of mine on a Valentine's note, and we can't figure out what it says:

Cormamin narra calen ar'malta.

I'd appreciate the help! :-)

From: Don't know anymore. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Translations (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help