Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17 
Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Translations (Page 17)
Author Topic: Translations
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So Galin, it's a great post about hair, but are you saying there is no word for "lock" as in the keyed kind, in the Elven language? Since Elves "locked" up the dwarves in Mirkwood, they must of had a word for it.

quote:
túrë a enda said: "Oops, found it... Well, I'm a minor when it comes to alcohol, but I suppose if my virtual character wasn't..." []
Ah yes, Washington State, where anyone under the age 21 can't go into places that serve beer... kinda forgot about that here in Oz, where families, even small children, can go into pubs for dinner and such, they just can't drink beer. I thought they relaxed that licensing some in Washington state. If I remember right, the Whistlestop in Renton allows under 21's in, but they can't go to the strip by the bar.

[ 11-23-2013, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I'll put it this way: no word that I'm aware of, and I don't think S. fin, find, finn, Q. finde work for that particular meaning.

The Elves must have had plenty of words we don't know about []

Of course I don't pretend to know the entire corpus of Quenya or Sindarin, it's just that, in my opinion (and I'm not a trained linguist in any case) I don't see that any of Tolkien's 'fin(de)' words really unlock this mystery.

Okay bad pun intended.

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
túrë a enda
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11399
posted      Profile for túrë a enda   Email túrë a enda   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And the mystery of the translation for "lock" remains... [] Oh well, I think that fin is close enough, considering that it looks as though Tolkien never had an actual word for it and the word "lock" is in "lock of hair"... [] Does anyone know the word "latch"...? []
From: Kent, WA | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

posted      Profile for Indil   Author's Homepage   Email Indil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,

I was giving a go at translating the Game of Thrones wedding vows into Quenya. Can someone check my work? []

Original:
I am his and he is mine, from this day until the end of my days.
What I have made of it is:
Nanyë sonya ar nassë ninya, et síra tenna i aureonya mentë.

[ 05-26-2016, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: Indil ]

From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mae govannen Indil!

Good to see you here! []
From my limited knowledge of Quenya. it appears good, but Let's hear from the Quenya scholars!

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

posted      Profile for Indil   Author's Homepage   Email Indil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It has grown quiet here, hm?
From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Yeah, pretty much. Most of the old Tolkien boards have gone quiet or have shut down and disappeared. Here, there are the same handful of people posting semi-somewhat regular, with an appearance of the random citizen such as yourself returning for a post or two.
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm down to the semi-regular these days, I'm afraid - and I wouldn't have been able to help you with the Quenya anyway. I learnt a little bit all those years ago, enough that I think I can tell whether a text is written in Quenya or in Sindarin - but no more than that.

(I once talked to the guy who had translated LotR into Norwegian and told him that fact - and he said that he didn't know as much Quenya as that [] )

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

Well, I am glad that MT hasn't disappeared.
I would be SO sad to type in the URL and get a "Page not found". These are the grounds of my childhood []

Also, the emoji here are literally the best ever. I have yet to find one that matches []

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
the emoji here are literally the best ever.
I know hey! Love the [] [] [] [] etc.
[]

Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

I may or may not have come here once or twice to steal emoji. []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
I may or may not have come here once or twice to steal emoji. []
[] []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Translations (Page 17)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help