Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17 
Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Translations (Page 1)
Author Topic: Translations
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a fair amount of people randomly asking in threads for translations. Thinking this was not really a good thing, because its best to stay on topic, I thought that we should have a thread for people to ask for translations into any of tolkien's languages.

I welcome anyone also who would like to offer thier skills in this work.

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nice thread idea, and I'd love to help anyone with Quenya translations.

As it happens, I'm needing one of my own:

Can anyone translate 'vengeance' or an equivalent synonym to Quenya? The closest I've found is Sindarin 'acharn.'

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Thats a nasty one. I have nothing, its possible Tolkien never envisaged such a word. Could you think of a different synonym?

I've got "come-back" - rate ? Thats very hypothetical from Base.

[ 01-01-2004, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Dark Lord Andúril ]

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The ever young
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3579
posted      Profile for The ever young   Email The ever young   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know quenyan or sindarin for "may your soul rest in eternal bliss" or something like that? thanks
From: The Valinor | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nai fëanya séra mi oialë almarë.

That's Quenya, as accurate as I can get it. []

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk or any other scholar of Anglo-Saxon, please translate the term Éothraim into something easier to understand. []
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

Can't help you there Maerbenn, but I can answer my own question, for anyone who's interested.

A word suitable would be atacarmë, which although unattested is a reconstruction from the Sindarin.

The ever young
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3579
posted      Profile for The ever young   Email The ever young   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!!!
From: The Valinor | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3911

posted      Profile for Bobomir   Email Bobomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How about "to teach" and/or "to learn" into Quenya. The closest I can come up with is "To give knowledge" and "to receive knowledge". Will those work?
From: Osgiliath | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

OK, here's a few that might be suitable:

To learn: nolya-
To teach: saita-

These two, however, are reconstructions, and if you wanted something directly taken from Tolkien's own writing, maybe try:

To understand: hanya-
To know: ista-
To listen: lár-

Hope this helps somewhat.

Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Your last two words will work, becuase all words are are short meanings of a particular distingt thing. So you can translate like that, however, if you want words to flow nicely then it is better to find words which actually mean what you are looking for.

I also have some words meaning "learned" which you might like to reconstruct yourself:

istima
ñóla

Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk or any other scholar of Anglo-Saxon, please translate the term Éothraim into something easier to understand.
Éothraim?

Are you sure it isn't Éothain?

Anyway, a very common element used by Tolkien in Rohirric names is éoh (without the h). This word means horse.

As for thraim I am not sure, but I will investigate. []

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is Éothraim. I would guess that it refers to either the Northmen, or the remnant of them gathered by Marhwini in the Vales of Anduin after the defeat in the Battle of the Plains in 1856.
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3911

posted      Profile for Bobomir   Email Bobomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much. Those will work well enough, in fact, very well!

[]

From: Osgiliath | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King Smoogel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4103
posted      Profile for King Smoogel   Email King Smoogel   Edit/Delete Post 
How did the Elves say "I have to go to the bathroom!"?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
For who would lie idle when the King of Smooglers has returned?

Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radagast the Squib
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3200

posted      Profile for Radagast the Squib   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I do not dare ask why you wish to know that []
From: Somewhere in Mirkwood | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

They say "Meep!"

lol, no seriously,

I have to go to the bathroom!?

Im baura bado an i samne o rhawcana.

I need to go to the room of nature-calling. []

King Smoogel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4103
posted      Profile for King Smoogel   Email King Smoogel   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that's as close as you will get. Next time I see my friend who understands Elvish well, I will be sure to remind him that I have to use the "room of nature-calling". []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
For who would lie idle when the King of Smooglers has returned?

Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
After searching several dictionaries and consulting knowledgeable people, I'm sorry to say I cannot find thraim anywhere.

Could someone please supply the text wherein it stands? And are you 100% that's how it is spelled?

AFAIK, it's not even a word. Which makes no sense, Tolkien would not have used meaningless words.

Help me help you. []

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gram
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 24

posted      Profile for gram   Email gram   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Éothraim seems to be a made up name for a MERP game. I can't find it referenced anywhere in something that JRRT wrote. I did a web search and the only references to that name are associated with MERPs. That could be why it does not show up in any Anglo-Saxon or related dictionaries. []
From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
Ah! Well that explains it! I couldn't figure out what that last element meant, I have never seen anything like it in any germanic language I know.
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is used in MERP, but Nimruzir also used it. One should be able to find out from MERP what exactly it refers to then. I guess he thought it was such a good invention that it can be used when talking about true Tolkien material. Maybe he didn't know that it is not correct Anglo-Saxon. Personally I would still avoid using any non-Tolkien term.
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If Nimruzir and Maerbenn both have used it, I wonder if it is in fact from Tolkien's works somewhere and not exclusively MERP. I have reservations about MERP information, such as the line of the Kings of Cardolan and Rhudaur. Do you know where it comes from Isildur?

Edit: or Herendil.

[ 01-09-2004, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

There are no references to it in Letters, any of HoME, UT, Sil, Hob, or Lotr.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Translations (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help