profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Learning Quenya
Author Topic: Learning Quenya
Quendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1661

posted      Profile for Quendil   Email Quendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyone who studies Tolkien's languages out there. I'm studying Quenya since September last year with the Ardalambion Course.
From: Japan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orome
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 108
posted      Profile for Orome   Author's Homepage   Email Orome   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are some threads on this already.
Click on SEARCH.

From: Somewhere east of the brandywine | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have taken a few of the Ardalambion Lessons before, but never seriously put myself to it. I have the time, so I probably will someday.
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know some Quenya and I could patch together 9 or 10 sentences.
From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Galadriel the lady of light
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1960
posted      Profile for Lady Galadriel the lady of light   Email Lady Galadriel the lady of light   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i speak fluent quenyan,dwarvish and numenorean
im learning sindarin wich is quite hard.
luv Galadriel

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Amin Galadriel
Vanima tarien en'Imladris
Haldirs melar,
ar' seler' a' Arwen & Lieya

From: Rivindell | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Even Dwarvish?

I wish I had that dedication Quendil: even though I skipped the first lesson (I wasn't taking anything in - mainly becuse I wasn't paying enough attention) I still didn't get very far. I could probably make a very simple sentence or two, but not much more [] I hope to go back ...sometime

Good on ya though []

Edit: Had "goo" written instead of "good" []

[ 04-02-2002, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Eöl the Dark Elf ]

From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elsilme
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1925

posted      Profile for Elsilme   Email Elsilme   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i know a very very small bit of quenya and am trying to teach myself sindarin. i havent got very much time to spend studying it, though, so sadly things are going rather slowly...
From: Ossiriand | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Galadriel the lady of light
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1960
posted      Profile for Lady Galadriel the lady of light   Email Lady Galadriel the lady of light   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
er...yea,dwavish,its not that hard though.
i also speak Chinese,polish,french,spanish and italian.
luv GALADRIEL

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Amin Galadriel
Vanima tarien en'Imladris
Haldirs melar,
ar' seler' a' Arwen & Lieya

From: Rivindell | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!
I wanna be you when I grow up.

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn III
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1902

posted      Profile for Aragorn III   Email Aragorn III   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Were do you learn Me languajes???? and galadriel, you know too much, can you say something in french next time? please. Ahhh, also sapnish.
by,by.

From: Argentina | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duzak
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 389

posted      Profile for Duzak   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lady Galadriel, will you give us the source from which you learnt Dwarvish? I didn't know that the Professor ever gave any significant details of Khuzdul.

Perhaps you're bluffing.
[]

[ 04-03-2002, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Duzak ]

From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aye, I agree with Duzak here. I would dearly love to learn dwarvish. I would be much impressed if you could type a few sentences out here. Even one sentence would be good with me.
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orome
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 108
posted      Profile for Orome   Author's Homepage   Email Orome   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I think the lady doth boast to loudly.
I am skeptical to say the least.

From: Somewhere east of the brandywine | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn III
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1902

posted      Profile for Aragorn III   Email Aragorn III   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well we can say that every man is inocent untill someone proves that he's guilty, but what you are saying Lady is quite impresive.

Aragorn III

From: Argentina | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lady I think you mean Adunaic not numenorean and Khuzdul not dwarvish []

It is impossible to be "fluent" in any of those languages given the very limited corpus.

[ 04-05-2002, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Fingolfin of the Noldor ]

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elladan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 911

posted      Profile for Elladan   Email Elladan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fingolfin to the rescue!
From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, that's who drove her away.

I would have to say that being multi-lingual is quite impressive Princess Galadriel To know 5 real languages and some fantasy world ones too is pretty cool!

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps she was speaking about "In Character" when she mentioned Dwarvish? In Character she could know more about Dwarvish than Tolkien did.

In Character Varnafinde speaks fluently Quenya, Sindarin and the Common Tongue. In real life I understand a tiny bit of Quenya, and nothing of the other two ... []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Learning Quenya
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help