Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Names...
Author Topic: Names...
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It struck me as strange that people so easily gave their names, and lineage, in situations where it was not completely necessary.

Many other authors, treat "true" names as a "magical" thing (Earthsea and Ursula. K. LeGuin [sp?], for example), I haven't seen any texts where Tolkien specifically says this or similar, but names do seem important: Most notably, I think, when Turin changes his name to leave his evil fate behind, and in the Dwarves not giving away their real names.

I haven't a question as such, but I'd like to hear ideas on this []

From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Laws and Customs of the Eldar in Morgoth's Ring the father name-and the choosen name were considered true names while other given names such as titles and mother-names were more seen as nicknames. Of the true names the father name was public while the choosen name was consiered private though not a secret. It was in essence regarded as personal property and its use was conisdered a token of love and intimicy when permitted(anyone other than close family needed specific permission)

Dwarves, though few specifics are given, in many ways felt the same way(though their real names WERE private) about their names and given treebeards comments as to the error of being hasty in revealing names to merry and pippin it seems ents felt the same way in some ways. I think Tolkien actually did integrate a similar concept into his legendarium he simply was not as overt and didn't place as much importance on the "private names"

[ 06-05-2002, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Fingolfin of the Noldor ]

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of some other instances when names are concealed:

In the Lay of Leithian, Finrod and Beren give false names to Sauron, and then it is said that Finrod's song managed to hide their true names from Sauron.

Then, it especially seems to be with Dragons that you should avoid letting them know who you are:

quote:
'You lie' said Nienor. 'The children of Húrin are at least not craven. We fear you not.'
Then Glaurung laughed, for so was Húrin's daughter revealed to his malice.

~ Narn i Hîn Húrin, UT

The implication here seems to be that he was able to work his malice because he knew who she was.

And then, naturally [] :
quote:
This [in riddles] of course is the way to talk to dragons, if you don't want to reveal your proper name (which is wise), and don't want to infuriate them by a flat refusal (which is also very wise).
So the idea that not telling a dragon who you are is a good idea seems at least somewhat continous.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the Lay of Leithian, Finrod and Beren give false names to Sauron, and then it is said that Finrod's song managed to hide their true names from Sauron.
Yes Nereb and Dungalef, riddling reversals for Beren, Felagund (emended in B to Wrath and Hate).
Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Names...
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help