Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Hebraic interpretations of Tolkien languages (Page 5)
Author Topic: Hebraic interpretations of Tolkien languages
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! This is a blast from the past!

Nice to see you again, eldon. I don't think that my opinion has changed much over the past couple of years, but I'm glad to see you are still working. Have you done anything else besides this, such as in other works? It's hard not to appreciate a love of Tolkien.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hail, friend Eldon!

I hope you have been well.
What a wonderful and unexpected return.
In what direction have your studies gone?

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eldon
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2109
posted      Profile for eldon   Author's Homepage   Email eldon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, Thorin and Imbëar, sorry for the long delay in responding... spaced it right out for a few months!

I've been working mostly, home and family duties, a new son born last week. Haven't had much time for Minas Tirith, but hope that will change soon. I have lately finished a book called "An Open Heart to Islam", if you'd care to see it, look here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/spiritoftruthacademy/AnOpenHearttoIslam.html

Nice to see you both again, by the way, and please forgive my delay.

From: Gatewood Missouri USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eldon
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2109
posted      Profile for eldon   Author's Homepage   Email eldon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the revised link for my book on Islam:

http://www.scribd.com/full/2083966?access_key=key-1yj6z840s5pp7aw6pakx Confirming the Glory

From: Gatewood Missouri USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da Ent
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6791
posted      Profile for Da Ent   Email Da Ent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You have done a lot of research I must say, but I don’t think Professor Tolkien imagined a “Bible Code” as it were. He was a busy guy, and barely had time to complete some of his works. Every fan of Professor Tolkien knows he was a devout Christian, and anyone who can’t see the blatant parallels with the Bible in his writings must be...maybe a bit lost. But that doesn’t mean he devised a linguistic "code" so to speak with the ancient Hebrew language. I’ve been a devout Bible scholar (scholar, not preacher) for almost 30 years and a student of the ancient Hebrew text for a very long time, but I just don’t see the connection.

Obviously, on the surface, the Biblical allegories are in plain sight (even though Tolkien himself said he was not fond of allegory when writing).

Eru is a representation of God, and the events detailed in The Silmarillion closely mirror those detailed in the book of Genesis. The Ainur represent angels (The Valar = the Archangels, The Maiar = the Angels). The music and instruments associated with them in the passage coincide with those used in celebration and for praise in the Scriptures: “Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre, praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute, praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals,” Psalms 150:3-5 etc.

The void spoken of in the Ainulindalë existing before Illúvatar creates the universe parallels the darkness and shapelessness before God created form, as described in Genesis.

“Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.”

Other parallels are seen regarding Melkor and Manwë; Melkor is Lucifer, the fallen angel that is Satan (obviously), and Manwë is Michael the Archangel. Also, the reference in preparing the earth for The First Adam, and the Second Adam.

There are parallels regarding the creation of plants, beasts, and “two mighty lamps for lighting” Middle Earth, and the sun and the moon, and of course, The Two Trees of Valinor, in direct representation of the two trees in the Garden of Eden.

“Now the LORD God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. And the LORD God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground-trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden was the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,”

There is also the prophecy that Melkor/Morgoth will return at “the end of days” for the last time (i.e. antichrist) and will be finally be destroyed forever, along with all evil, and eternity will exist in bliss.

This is all common knowledge for Tolkien fans who know a little about the Bible, but this ancient Hebrew "code" (forgive me for calling it a code) is stretching the matter a bit. Even though I commend your hard work and effort, and you indeed know your Hebrew (because I know it myself) you can still go too far. The obvious parallels are intriguing, but let’s stop there and let Tolkien’s fantasy be a fantasy.

[ 04-27-2008, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Da Ent ]

From: Long Island NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Encaitar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 7831
posted      Profile for Encaitar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But this is also known:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Fire

Hope you didn't know it yet...

Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Hebraic interpretations of Tolkien languages (Page 5)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help