Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Nice Elven Dictionary! (Page 2)
Author Topic: Nice Elven Dictionary!
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No offense intended, but you're wrong. []
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katrina
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4377

posted      Profile for Katrina   Email Katrina   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well then let me rephrase it.
I think elvish is over-rated.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
'All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.'
- Edmund Burke

From: Fike Nation | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mavis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4652
posted      Profile for Mavis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Rocconér! He's right you know, as much as the words sting like acid upon my tongue. He's right. []
From: Stuck in a mental mire | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you mean all the elvish languages as a group, or do you mean any particular one of the elvish languages?

'Elvish' is not a language, you know, it's a group of languages. It's so confusing if sites offer to teach you 'Elvish' and then don't tell you which elvish language they teach.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm either going to be terribly offended, or agree. Katrina, could you clarify which language you meant by that? []
From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katrina
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4377

posted      Profile for Katrina   Email Katrina   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Just all of them. Every one keeps going on about elvish. When will you ever use it in the real world?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
'All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.'
- Edmund Burke

From: Fike Nation | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mavis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4652
posted      Profile for Mavis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Who says the only good things to learn are things you will use? Usefulness is the thing that is overrated. That's my opinion.
From: Stuck in a mental mire | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When will you ever use it in the real world?
When you're with others who like using those languages as well.
Like on MT.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmm. Just all of them. Every one keeps going on about elvish. When will you ever use it in the real world?
That's a dumb question. When will a lot of American kids nowadays ever really need to use Spanish or French in the real world? Why do schools offer Latin courses if nobody speaks that language anymore?
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Katrina, yuhtëanye Quenya sí ve lá hanyuvalye. []

Nás lá nóla nahama tana ya áva istalye. Ve nauvalye sí céna.

Áva haryalye i indo hanya Quenya. Séyalye Nauco mi tengwestie, var paluva urco! Vanessë mi lambë istalye lá. Fëalya ná firin. Nálye ehta i oston!

[ 08-07-2004, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Aikanáro ]

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Elentári Tintallë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3734

posted      Profile for Elentári Tintallë   Email Elentári Tintallë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When will you ever use it in the real world?
Yes, actually I ahve used Quenya in the real world. Quenya has helped me so much with my linguistic adventures in Spanish and in other 'useful' languages (like the one week I tried French, and my small excursions into German independant pronouns). It has even helped me to understand English grammar better. It has also given me an appreciation for languages, you can't tell me that learning Quenya is not useful.

Major [] [] 's at Aika's post. There we are, Quenya is useful at rebuking certain newbies tastefully (there are no Quenya cuss words, etc) using a language far beyond their understanding and appreciation.

From: Nórë Vercieva- i Opelë | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mavis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4652
So, um, did I get the translation right?
Roll of Honor Elentári Tintallë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3734

posted      Profile for Elentári Tintallë   Email Elentári Tintallë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Elye cára vista ve yerna lingwë.

Mavis, your translation is grammatically correct. You can use 'elyë' for you, but Quenya independant pronouns are one of the most complicated things in the world. I would just use the ending '-lyë' and add it to the verb cára to form 'cáralyë- you are making'. But you are jumping ahead to further lessons that the Quenya class has not gotten to yet. []
From: Nórë Vercieva- i Opelë | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frodo13
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 7572
posted      Profile for Frodo13   Email Frodo13   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to thank you !
From: Arras | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To the OP: Thanks!
From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Languages of Arda » Nice Elven Dictionary! (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help